A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Year of the overhaul" hidden behind a sparrow..  (Read 21279 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 02, 2008 08:24:54 PM »

I was so excited about this challenge that I finished this 3 days after the announcement was posted  Grin

Ok, so 2008 is my 'Year of the overhaul'. It's time to get everything sorted out....

1. Lose weight (*sigh* such a cliche  Undecided, but necessary)
2. Spring clean the house - this means everything useless gets chucked (I am a hopeless hoarder)
3. Decorate the house - mainly the lounge room and nursery at this point
4. Find a new hairstyle - I would like something that actually looks like I have a style  Embarrassed
5. Craft my endless projects in transition - all those ideas in my notebook, jotted down sketches, unused new patterns and endless good intentions must be achieved - and bust my stash at the same time
6. Learn new cooking recipes
7. Start and maintain an edible vegetable garden - boy I need to learn how to keep plants alive
8. Buy a new car - OK by 'new' I mean new for us  Tongue. Our old one is staggering on her last legs
9. Save money - I would love a holiday this year and I'm hoping my DH will make an official wife out of me too  Grin
10. Start my own website - the time has come my little friends to talk of becoming financially successful, or at least try
11. Open a virtual or physical shop - still deciding between etsy or a stall at the ritzy craft and art markets in Surfers Paradise
12. Sell $1000.00 of my own work....... Undecided
13. Enter a judged art competition

So, how to craft something to help me achieve these goals? I wanted a pinboard/whiteboard to keep all those little pics that inspire me, I wanted to chart my weightloss but not have every visitor looking at my numbers *shudder*, I wanted a calendar to keep track of my appointments. In addition, I wanted a new piece of art for the wall.

CLOSED
OPEN

I had a nice square canvas laying around so i got a 3mm sheet of MDF and cut it to the same size. Made a frame out of pine offcuts and attached it to the front of the board. I added elastic trellis at the top and cut some corkboard to size and attached that to the bottom.

For the canvas, I removed the fabric and lined the whole front with cardboard, then reattached the canvas. I made two whiteboards out of heavy card and clear contact and glued them in the spaces at the back of the canvas, attaching them to the cardboard lining. A piece of cardboard covered in colourful paper was glued to the bottom support and that made two pockets to slide my ideas notebooks in to and doubles as an additional pinboard.

I attached both parts with two large hinges, screwed 3 eyescrews into the top of the pine frame and screwed the frame to the wall with screws and wall plugs. The canvas 'door' stays closed with a magnetic latch recycled from an old door.

The image on the front was painted by me in 3 colours only, similar to a screen print but with acrylic and brushes. Medium tan, maroon and black. I painted the sparrow in the middle colour (maroon) to place him in the middle distance.

All in all I am quite pleased - I would like to redo the painting of the frames but I ran out of paint, couldn't match the colours and just got sick of doing it  Tongue.
I apologise for not having any 'in-progress' pics but they were all on my old computer that died without releasing any of my old files

An here is my newly decorated ideas notebook, I have a very old clipboard that is decorated in fabulous images so I scanned it, added a few new images and words and printed it out on computer paper. It worked really well and that's why it looks like there is bubbles in the contact, the original has them so they scanned through  Embarrassed.

One of my favourite quotes is at the bottom of the female devil image: "In all the debate about the idea that God may be a she, few have suggested that the devil may be a woman".[/i]

Hope you like it guys, I'm off to decorate some thumbtacks for my board.....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008 12:29:25 AM by eternallyeve » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
kikisocute
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008 08:35:58 PM »

I <3 this soooo much!! You did an amazing job Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creamycharb
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008 08:36:20 PM »

this is super fab.  the bird artwork is stunning-  and i LOVE the hidden away little compartment with the low-down on your progress. 
My husband has a mantra that I'm thinking of making a nice bumper sticker of that says
PRESENCE COMPELLS.
and your entry is what its all about. 
having it hanging on the fricken wall. 
anyway.  i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008 08:52:22 PM »

Thanks guys, both your replies just gave me a lovely warm feeling  Grin. Such fast responses! wow!

Eve
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008 09:57:50 PM »

what a great a idea!! a hidden little achievement box?? i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sibyll
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008 10:04:09 PM »

Okay, I would love to hang this on my wall even if it didn't have a nifty hidden compartment!
Super!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bugaboo1
OMG! I should So make that

If I've offended you'll have to get over it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008 10:48:05 PM »

The image is beautiful and I love the hidden secretiveness of it all...btw great quote! I was giggling
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steph
sarahswingset
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008 10:50:17 PM »

i love it! you really put everything together! the problem i would have is that i would never want to open it  and not be able to see that amazing painting on the front!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008 12:28:37 AM »

i would never want to open it  and not be able to see that amazing painting on the front!
Thankyou!

btw great quote! I was giggling
Thanks bugaboo, I really like that one which is why I have never thrown out the original clip board that it's attached to.

I love having the pic showing but since the whole thing opens flat and has lots of great pics of other people's projects that I use for inspiration and to get me in the mood, I really enjoy having it open too.

Thanks for all the great replies!
Eve
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley

Hand Made-n's
jessimocha
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008 07:46:30 AM »

this is incredible! what a great way to have all your goals organized in one easy place, but not have it be an eyesore! i am so thoroughly impressed, i'm totally going to try and make one of these! or something similar anyway, i'm always coming up with new resolutions for myself all year round. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we will arise from the bunkers,
by land, by sea, by dirigible
we'll leave our tracks untraceable now

[and] hear all the bombs fade away...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fall Beauty 2013: Makeup Must-Haves at New York Fashion Week
How to Create a Golden Eye Makeup Look
How to Create a Lilac Makeup Look
How to Contour and Highlight Like a Pro
Product Round Up: Best Lipgloss Picks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...