A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ReUsable PLAPER Grocery Bag!  (Read 14780 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dreambelle
Beta Sigma Phi

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008 02:23:03 AM »

1. Etsy labs has an amazing tutorial on fusing the plastic bags. At that point you could always make any pattern you wanted.

2. This is one of my favorite entrys.

3. I always ask for paper instead of plastic at the grocery store but really have always wanted to use a reusable bag. My question to everyone that brings their own: Do you just hand it to the bagger and not say anything or ask him/her to use your bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creamycharb
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008 06:29:16 AM »

1-yes, it was the etsy tute http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-overdue-fusing-plastic-bag.html that i first used. 

2- thank you so much

3-I will typically just put the bags up on the counter before any of my groceries.  *most* baggers understand. 
i think (hope) it's become common enough for them to see reusable bags.
and there are some stores who will give you like 5 cents off your purchase for every reusable bag you bring in.
trader joes?  wild oats? it was someplace in Boston i used to frequent,  but i live in Utah now, where people can be a tad clueless. but its getting better.

And i wanted to say that i'm tickled at the great variety of reusable bags that have popped up for this challenge.
i'm not alone in my resolution!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RougeRaven
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008 11:05:51 AM »

I have tried to do the plastic-fabric but it shrank and died on me during the ironing- but I'm gunna try again this spring with plenty of ventilation =) The saddest thing about Walmart is that there are many of us who see it as a necessary evil. My family and I hate it, but we can't feed ourselves on our paychecks anywhere else. It is a vicious cycle, as they say
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
opivygrl

I'm just a girl... trying to go green

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008 11:23:21 AM »

3-I will typically just put the bags up on the counter before any of my groceries.  *most* baggers understand. 
i think (hope) it's become common enough for them to see reusable bags.
and there are some stores who will give you like 5 cents off your purchase for every reusable bag you bring in.
trader joes?  wild oats? it was someplace in Boston i used to frequent,  but i live in Utah now, where people can be a tad clueless. but its getting better.

And i wanted to say that i'm tickled at the great variety of reusable bags that have popped up for this challenge.
i'm not alone in my resolution!!!!!

Whole Foods (and probably Wild Oats, too) gives you 5 cents for each bag you bring in.  They also usually give you the option to donate those cents to the local project they are currently involved in.  The last project we heard about was helping a local elementary school go green - specifically by adding a roof-top organic garden.

I LOVE going to Whole Foods for many reasons, but one of my favorite things is that they actually thank you for bringing in reusable bags.  Everywhere else we get dirty looks and grumbles  Tongue  At one grocery store, the checkers actually fought over who had to bag for us...then we ended up having to do it ourselves  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008 11:53:49 AM »

Please tutorial!  I have been itching after reusable bags!  And I love the look of yours.

Also, I have two irons.  One for clothes, one for crafts.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008 11:55:14 AM by astormorray » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008 12:51:39 PM »

[quote author=Dreambelle link=topic=224869.msg2436222#msg2436222

3. I always ask for paper instead of plastic at the grocery store but really have always wanted to use a reusable bag. My question to everyone that brings their own: Do you just hand it to the bagger and not say anything or ask him/her to use your bag?
[/quote]
I have had to carry my own bags for the past couple of years (plastic allergy) and I usually set my bags ahead of my groceries on the conveyor belt. {I have about 8 or 10 folded up into a small Jordy-type bag.} Many baggers dislike them (It seems to be a gender thing; the guys usually despise them, the ladies will tolerate them better). If you have a rolled up or fold-able bag, unroll them or unfold them and they'll be a bit better received. I usually say something like "I have my own bags, thanks." or "I have to use my own bags." Because I live in a small community, I've gotten to be well known at the places that I frequent, and most checkers ask for my bags, now. Also, now that reusable is more prevalent, the checkstand people are a bit more tolerant of the reusable bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
bigeyes
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008 01:13:02 PM »

that is a cool bag

and dont worry,

everyone on here pretty much hates walmart
Just to clarify, I don't  hate Walmart. (Where I live, it's one of the few places I have to shop for craft supplies.) It's one of my pet peeves that they are the focus of this when in fact it is our government's policies and other countries' labor policies that are the problem.  Not to mention that nearly every other store you can shop at profits from the same stuff, so it doesn't make sense to single out one retailer as the devil.  Target swoops in and profits after Walmart does their dirty work, and they sell the same MIC crap.  Safeway, Kmart, and nearly every other retailer sells items made in places with questionable labor practices.  People order from Oriental Trading Company all the time.  Yet Walmart is the evil empire and everyone else gets a pass.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

If you look at the packages your jewelry findings come in, a lot of them are MIC for little money, which is one of the major gripes about Walmart.  As long as Americans want cheap products and companies can get them made somewhere else using cheap labor, that's the way it's going to be, and Walmart is far from being the only company to take advantage of this.  They are also far from being the only company to pay their employees badly or have less than perfect insurance plans.

It's the system. 

That said, the bags are cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
creamycharb
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008 09:13:33 AM »

thanks for the props on the bags everyone-
i swear i am working on a tute!

and yeah- bigeyes-  you make some good points.
there is always someone out there doing worse.
i guess i should make a bag that says "no MIC"
get to the source.
but my gripe is that the big companies came into town and pushed out all the little guys.
and that just makes me plain sad.
BUT-
i took a pledge over at http://nikkishell.typepad.com/wardroberefashion/ to not buy any new clothes for myself or my son for the next 6 months-  and man, has it freed me.
SAVERS prices beat the heck out of any big megamart for clothes and toys. 
i am also trying not to purchase any new crafting supplies-  and if i do, i wait until there are several things i need and i make a special trip to a little crafty joint about 20 mins away.
(actually, i have had really good luck at SAVERS for craft supplies sometimes too)
i've stuck to my resolution not to shop at this big store, and seriously, it has just made me a more deliberate and consciencious consumer.  im not saying they are the devil-  but shopping there made it too easy for ME to justify needing a bunch of crap that i didn't really want to be buying.  but i, likewise, havent shopped at ANY megamart since january. 
dollar stores should be on that list too.
they are the worst offenders for MIC stuff.
im going to have to choose wisely for the dollar store craft challenge coming up.
hmmmmmm.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008 12:46:07 PM »

Oh yes, the dollar store especially!  A lot of people I know who proudly proclaim that they never go to Walmart regularly go to the Dollar store.  Huh

The whole MIC thing is so much deeper than Walmart.  There are so many items in your house with parts that started in China, and if you really wanted to completely avoid buying anything that was even partially manufactured in China, it would be kind of like trying to avoid Disney, (go to http://www.cjr.org/resources/) practically impossible.  (It kills me that A&E, ABC, and Discover Magazine are part of Disney, who I consider to be The Original Evil Empire.
IMO, the energy people put into protesting Walmart could be better used watching  C-Span, studying tax law and writing your congressman. 

Recycling, OTOH, shows instant results, even if it's just in your own home.  It's something anyone can do, and people like the OP come up with creative and innovative ways to reuse things that would otherwise become trash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
kaledrina
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008 08:44:51 AM »

Congrats on resolution number 3!! I haven't shopped at Walmart in so long.. and I'm proud. I used to think I couldn't afford food elsewhere - was I wrong! I eat mostly organic/natural so my food already has a high price tag. Wasn't hard to get rid of that place from my errands list.

Although the problem isn't with walmart itself. It's all the big companies, especially fast food, that really have taken the uniqueness out of America's cities. (And money out of their worker's pockets) We're just too comfortable and will only shop at XXXXX brand - someone else can support the local shops. Right?

Plastic bags are disgusting but what's even more disgusting is how hard people push them onto me. I have my own bags and everything.. And they insist on giving me bags. Makes me want to scream, yell, jump up and down, even pull out a bit of hair.

What's also impossible to avoid is high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. Pick your lesser evil, folks, or you'll end up with an empty pantry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Banana Nut Popsicles Recipe
Healthy Fudge Recipe
Easy Cookie Bars Recipe
How to Make Healthy Jello
How to Make Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...