A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ReUsable PLAPER Grocery Bag!  (Read 14506 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

creamycharb
« on: February 02, 2008 05:37:43 PM »

Hola everyone,
I have been a voyeur of craftster for several months now and I am just tickled to enter this challenge.  In fact, it was a resolution of mine before even knowing of this particular craftster challenge.

My 3-fold resolution is:
#1- Enter a craftster challenge.  (YEEE-HAWW!!  Feels good!!)
#2- Use reusable grocery bags.
#3- Stop shopping at a particular Gigantimart in my town that shall remain nameless.

So yeah- #1 is a gimmie, but I did want to put it in there because Im proud of myself.

#2- I have had this one on my radar for years.  I HATE plastic bags and everything they stand for.  I hate how they overrun my home.  I hate how grocery baggers under-fill them.  I double hate their detriment to the environment.  AND, though I love the size and shape of the big paper grocery bags- I hate the idea of cutting down trees to carry my precious groceries. 
None of this is new. 
I have seen countless awesome ideas for reusable grocery bags, right here on craftster, and I figured it was high time I made some for myself. I looked and looked for styles that I liked, and fabric that I liked.  And finally, I came up with my very own design idea. (I do promise I havent seen this particular anywhere myself.  Please correct me if you have seen it elsewhere.  Id like to give credit where its due.)
                                           THE PLAPER BAG!!!!!
This was born out of the wonderful tutorials out there on fusing plastic bags to make a stiff sewable plastic fabric, and my love of the paper bag for size and shape when it comes to carrying groceries.  I sewed a paper-type bag out of the fused plastic (and added functional handles)

PLASTIC- PLAPER- PAPER

STRONG REENFORCED BOTTOM

NICELY FOLDED

STURDY HANDLES

ACTION SHOT (WORKS GREAT!)

And then this brings us to #3.
There is a mega mega MEGA store in my home town that moved in while I was living elsewhere.  I moved home to find all the little mom and pop stores vanished, (mostly all the craft and fabric stores), forcing me to either drive 40 mins. out of my way, or frequent this place, which ironically, never had what I needed anyway.  I finally decided- 
NO MORE!
So- when I was designing my plaper bag- I did a bit of clever layering with some plastic bags from this mystery mega store and this store that had a big red circle in their logo that I cut to make the empty set sign as a bit of a jab of dislike. (I blurred the mega store logo in the photos, because I realize this is a personal beef, and the last thing I am trying to do is slander this store on craftster).

LOGO JAB

I have used my new bag several times, and I love it.  But I am thinking I need about 4 or 5 more for those BIG food shopping trips. 
Id be glad to post a tutorial when I make my next one, if there is an interest. 
And thank you thank you for looking at my FIRST craftster challenge entry. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theblackplague
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008 05:47:09 PM »

This is awesome!  I love how you added handles to it, as regular paper bags are awkward at best.  And the layering with the images?  Too cool.  Great job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FicklePegasus

Evil, but in a good way

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008 05:58:35 PM »

Awsome!  I like that design and the message you're sending with the layers  Wink  I also do not shop at that mystery store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/FicklePegasus

My Baby Cuthulu Blanket was featured on http://geekcrafts.com/
PhunkyThreads
this is the only craftster id I've ever had

wait for it....it wil come...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008 06:48:05 PM »

that is a cool bag

and dont worry,

everyone on here pretty much hates walmart
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If speaking my mind gets me in trouble with the establishment,then I never want to be silent
the_christine
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008 09:02:34 PM »

That bag is so awesome.  Did you have any trouble fusing the plastic?  I have wanted to try this but I'm afraid it will either gum up my iron or release toxic fumes or both.  Then did you just make a pattern from a paper grocery bag?  I love how you did this and how you played with the logos! 

Walmart is pretty much the worst place ever, I hate it there. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucastheboo
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008 09:56:46 PM »

Well Wal-Mart doesn't have a big red circle or red at all in their logo so I'd say its not Wal-Mart and rather a Target. I really hate that people don't like Wal-Mart, I work there and we are doing alot to go green, we have been recycling cardboard and plastic as well as drink cans for along time now, all our bags are made of recycled plastic from either old bags or hangers, and we now sell reuseable shopping bags that are tote sized and only a dollar and the hold alot, they make them out of recycled plastic bags and the are woven so they are tough. My Wal-Mart store, Store 0690 has done alot for the community we gave local churches 30% off vouchers that they used to buy clothing for the needy children for Christmas, my store also cleaned up a local river that I personally helped with, the city couldn't afford to pay people to clean it up so Wal-Mart took volunteers from our store on our days off and we cleaned the river up three times and made it into the paper we ended up getting a grant from the state for our work which we donated to the city to start a recycling campain. I know that big companies do take away from smaller businesses and that is a sad fact, but we try to give the customers what they want, and Wal-Mart isn't the only big company that does it, other retail store take away from local vendors and chain specialty stores do too. We really do try and there are alot of small things that Wal-Mart does that gets overlooked and I just wanted to bring a little info your direction, I do understand why some people are antiWal-Mart but we aren't the worst, we do do alot for our local communities that other retail giants don't and I'd rather her people be antiretail that just jaded against Wal-Mart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges.
meepmeep987
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008 10:13:25 PM »

Actually, she said she drew the red circles on there. And it's obvious that it's WalMart because the "save money live better" slogan is all over it.

Excellent grocery bag, good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008 12:38:49 AM »

Great design! The handles are great on that shape bag, kinda like Trader Joe paper bags (which are like gold in my-house, we re-use them until they fall apart, but obviously this is even better and will last even longer!).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008 09:45:06 AM by maremare312 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
creamycharb
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008 12:59:52 AM »

EEK! Shocked
I am totally sorry that the mystery-mart became the focus here.  Like i said, it's a personal problem i have with the store, and this isn't the forum for me to barf about such things.
i probably shouldnt have mentioned that aspect of the project.
please disregard resolution #3.  i'll correct it tomorrow when i am more awake.

as for the bag construction- yes, its just a paper bag pattern. 
and the fused plastic is interesting, although not my favorite.  it is difficult for me to get the temp just right on the iron, and you MUST use parchment paper or some kind of barrier so your iron doesnt get all gummed up.
for this i used 3 bags on top of eachother, and they werent cut open, so that's 6 layers of plastic.
it sews together OK, but behaves like any slick fabric would, so care must be taken there. 
overall, for the bag style i chose that's all boxy, i think the stiff fused plastic was the best choice.  it stands on it's own and is sturdier than paper or 1 layer of plastic.

thanks for your comments.
and again, sorry if my entry was a source of contention.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessimocha
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008 08:04:38 AM »

this turned out really really awesome! i really like the way that you reused the old plastic bags in order to reduce your use of plastic. (i think reduce and reuse are the most important r's, i find too many people and legislations are aimed at recycling, but not enough are aimed at simply reducing and reusing what we have)

i also love that you made your statement using the layers - that's so clever! and thanks for the tips about the fusible plastic, i've been wanting to try it out myself.

i think it's great that you incorporated your resolution #3. and i see no reason why you shouldn't include it in your post. you made it pretty clear that you didn't want this post to end up bashing the store.  especially since you went to the trouble of actually blurring out the logo in all the bags! i feel just the same as you, but this is no place to discuss it.

it is a really wonderful project and a great way to reach your resolutions! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we will arise from the bunkers,
by land, by sea, by dirigible
we'll leave our tracks untraceable now

[and] hear all the bombs fade away...
creamycharb
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008 09:13:53 AM »

thank you Jessimocha, Grin
i guess i will leave it in.
and yeah-  incorporating the plastic that i dislike so much into the solution feels pretty satisfying. 
and sadly, even after making these plaper bags out of my stash of plastic bags, i know that everyone around me is overrun with plastic bags and i would probably never run out of "material" if i made them full time forever.
i think i should do that for my mom and friends, when i get my 5-6 bags done.  take their stashes and turn them into reusable bags.
hmmmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_christine
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008 10:32:49 AM »

Thanks for the tips on fusing the plastic!  I love your bag, I have been keeping a stash of reusable bags in the car and the one you made is so awesome, I think I'm going to try and do one myself. 

You made it very clear in your post that you didn't intend for your entry to be a debate about where to or not to shop.  I shouldn't have named any names when I responded, aside from just saying I agree with you. Wink

Best,
Christine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucastheboo
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008 11:28:52 AM »

Though I do hate that people dislike where I work I do understand why, I probably should have just cut my prior comment down to say what I actually wanted to and left the freak out at home.

I just wanted to let everyone know that if you have the problem with having too many plastic grocery bags that Wal-Mart does sale reuseable shopping bags that are made from recycled plastic bags, they are very roomie and strong. So if your home is over run by plastic bags, bring 'em back to the store and we'll be happy to take them back.

Though for people who wish to craft with bags more power to you, I've seen many people on here use bags for all sorts of things from pain brushes to knitting.

creamycharb I didn't mean to make you feel bad or feel as if you did wrong by expressing your opinion, and I'm sorry that I did.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges.
creamycharb
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008 01:08:25 PM »

no worries folks.
this is a big place with lots of opinions-  but that's a good thing.
thanks for all the great input.
and everybody just carry on going green.
happy crafting! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008 01:31:58 PM »

I love your bag's style. It's quite nice and I personally understand your frustration with the big store never having what you need. Though for me My big craft store is the one that does that! lol.
I love your resolution and it's very well executed! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alexandraf
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008 02:20:49 PM »

This is really great! I'm currently in the process of making some market bags myself (crochet, 'cause it's what I know!) but I would love to make something like this. If you ever posted a tutorial, I would be glad to use it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Extrapolate that!
crazychick149

Old enough to know better, Too young to care.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008 03:58:21 PM »

thats a great idea
tut pls
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008 04:27:32 PM »

I specifically buy clothes that I don't need to iron, and thus I don't have one.  However, seeing this type of thing, as well as having an odd obsession with Perler beads, makes me think I should buy an iron.

Any thoughts on what kind of iron I should get?  What should I look for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PhunkyThreads
this is the only craftster id I've ever had

wait for it....it wil come...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008 04:35:10 PM »

get an inexpensive one if you are just starting out. that way if it gets ruined there are no tears.

I like ironing as the therapudic part of my crafting. I have a 50 dollar iron (it was a wedding gift, but still.....)

It's a very useful art
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If speaking my mind gets me in trouble with the establishment,then I never want to be silent
creamycharb
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008 05:23:45 PM »

Oh No!  i dont iron my clothes either. 
my iron is specifically for crafts.
you could grab one second hand,i bet
and you wouldnt need a functioning steam feature for the plastic fusing.  but there may be other crafts out there that require steam-  i dont know.

I'm gonna post a tutorial as soon as i can have some crafting time. 
(i just started a PT job, so i have to figure out when i will get to do MY stuff.  ugggh!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dreambelle
Beta Sigma Phi

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008 02:23:03 AM »

1. Etsy labs has an amazing tutorial on fusing the plastic bags. At that point you could always make any pattern you wanted.

2. This is one of my favorite entrys.

3. I always ask for paper instead of plastic at the grocery store but really have always wanted to use a reusable bag. My question to everyone that brings their own: Do you just hand it to the bagger and not say anything or ask him/her to use your bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creamycharb
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008 06:29:16 AM »

1-yes, it was the etsy tute http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-overdue-fusing-plastic-bag.html that i first used. 

2- thank you so much

3-I will typically just put the bags up on the counter before any of my groceries.  *most* baggers understand. 
i think (hope) it's become common enough for them to see reusable bags.
and there are some stores who will give you like 5 cents off your purchase for every reusable bag you bring in.
trader joes?  wild oats? it was someplace in Boston i used to frequent,  but i live in Utah now, where people can be a tad clueless. but its getting better.

And i wanted to say that i'm tickled at the great variety of reusable bags that have popped up for this challenge.
i'm not alone in my resolution!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RougeRaven
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008 11:05:51 AM »

I have tried to do the plastic-fabric but it shrank and died on me during the ironing- but I'm gunna try again this spring with plenty of ventilation =) The saddest thing about Walmart is that there are many of us who see it as a necessary evil. My family and I hate it, but we can't feed ourselves on our paychecks anywhere else. It is a vicious cycle, as they say
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
opivygrl

I'm just a girl... trying to go green

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008 11:23:21 AM »

3-I will typically just put the bags up on the counter before any of my groceries.  *most* baggers understand. 
i think (hope) it's become common enough for them to see reusable bags.
and there are some stores who will give you like 5 cents off your purchase for every reusable bag you bring in.
trader joes?  wild oats? it was someplace in Boston i used to frequent,  but i live in Utah now, where people can be a tad clueless. but its getting better.

And i wanted to say that i'm tickled at the great variety of reusable bags that have popped up for this challenge.
i'm not alone in my resolution!!!!!

Whole Foods (and probably Wild Oats, too) gives you 5 cents for each bag you bring in.  They also usually give you the option to donate those cents to the local project they are currently involved in.  The last project we heard about was helping a local elementary school go green - specifically by adding a roof-top organic garden.

I LOVE going to Whole Foods for many reasons, but one of my favorite things is that they actually thank you for bringing in reusable bags.  Everywhere else we get dirty looks and grumbles  Tongue  At one grocery store, the checkers actually fought over who had to bag for us...then we ended up having to do it ourselves  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008 11:53:49 AM »

Please tutorial!  I have been itching after reusable bags!  And I love the look of yours.

Also, I have two irons.  One for clothes, one for crafts.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008 11:55:14 AM by astormorray » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008 12:51:39 PM »

[quote author=Dreambelle link=topic=224869.msg2436222#msg2436222

3. I always ask for paper instead of plastic at the grocery store but really have always wanted to use a reusable bag. My question to everyone that brings their own: Do you just hand it to the bagger and not say anything or ask him/her to use your bag?
[/quote]
I have had to carry my own bags for the past couple of years (plastic allergy) and I usually set my bags ahead of my groceries on the conveyor belt. {I have about 8 or 10 folded up into a small Jordy-type bag.} Many baggers dislike them (It seems to be a gender thing; the guys usually despise them, the ladies will tolerate them better). If you have a rolled up or fold-able bag, unroll them or unfold them and they'll be a bit better received. I usually say something like "I have my own bags, thanks." or "I have to use my own bags." Because I live in a small community, I've gotten to be well known at the places that I frequent, and most checkers ask for my bags, now. Also, now that reusable is more prevalent, the checkstand people are a bit more tolerant of the reusable bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
bigeyes
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008 01:13:02 PM »

that is a cool bag

and dont worry,

everyone on here pretty much hates walmart
Just to clarify, I don't  hate Walmart. (Where I live, it's one of the few places I have to shop for craft supplies.) It's one of my pet peeves that they are the focus of this when in fact it is our government's policies and other countries' labor policies that are the problem.  Not to mention that nearly every other store you can shop at profits from the same stuff, so it doesn't make sense to single out one retailer as the devil.  Target swoops in and profits after Walmart does their dirty work, and they sell the same MIC crap.  Safeway, Kmart, and nearly every other retailer sells items made in places with questionable labor practices.  People order from Oriental Trading Company all the time.  Yet Walmart is the evil empire and everyone else gets a pass.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

If you look at the packages your jewelry findings come in, a lot of them are MIC for little money, which is one of the major gripes about Walmart.  As long as Americans want cheap products and companies can get them made somewhere else using cheap labor, that's the way it's going to be, and Walmart is far from being the only company to take advantage of this.  They are also far from being the only company to pay their employees badly or have less than perfect insurance plans.

It's the system. 

That said, the bags are cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
creamycharb
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008 09:13:33 AM »

thanks for the props on the bags everyone-
i swear i am working on a tute!

and yeah- bigeyes-  you make some good points.
there is always someone out there doing worse.
i guess i should make a bag that says "no MIC"
get to the source.
but my gripe is that the big companies came into town and pushed out all the little guys.
and that just makes me plain sad.
BUT-
i took a pledge over at http://nikkishell.typepad.com/wardroberefashion/ to not buy any new clothes for myself or my son for the next 6 months-  and man, has it freed me.
SAVERS prices beat the heck out of any big megamart for clothes and toys. 
i am also trying not to purchase any new crafting supplies-  and if i do, i wait until there are several things i need and i make a special trip to a little crafty joint about 20 mins away.
(actually, i have had really good luck at SAVERS for craft supplies sometimes too)
i've stuck to my resolution not to shop at this big store, and seriously, it has just made me a more deliberate and consciencious consumer.  im not saying they are the devil-  but shopping there made it too easy for ME to justify needing a bunch of crap that i didn't really want to be buying.  but i, likewise, havent shopped at ANY megamart since january. 
dollar stores should be on that list too.
they are the worst offenders for MIC stuff.
im going to have to choose wisely for the dollar store craft challenge coming up.
hmmmmmm.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008 12:46:07 PM »

Oh yes, the dollar store especially!  A lot of people I know who proudly proclaim that they never go to Walmart regularly go to the Dollar store.  Huh

The whole MIC thing is so much deeper than Walmart.  There are so many items in your house with parts that started in China, and if you really wanted to completely avoid buying anything that was even partially manufactured in China, it would be kind of like trying to avoid Disney, (go to http://www.cjr.org/resources/) practically impossible.  (It kills me that A&E, ABC, and Discover Magazine are part of Disney, who I consider to be The Original Evil Empire.
IMO, the energy people put into protesting Walmart could be better used watching  C-Span, studying tax law and writing your congressman. 

Recycling, OTOH, shows instant results, even if it's just in your own home.  It's something anyone can do, and people like the OP come up with creative and innovative ways to reuse things that would otherwise become trash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaledrina
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008 08:44:51 AM »

Congrats on resolution number 3!! I haven't shopped at Walmart in so long.. and I'm proud. I used to think I couldn't afford food elsewhere - was I wrong! I eat mostly organic/natural so my food already has a high price tag. Wasn't hard to get rid of that place from my errands list.

Although the problem isn't with walmart itself. It's all the big companies, especially fast food, that really have taken the uniqueness out of America's cities. (And money out of their worker's pockets) We're just too comfortable and will only shop at XXXXX brand - someone else can support the local shops. Right?

Plastic bags are disgusting but what's even more disgusting is how hard people push them onto me. I have my own bags and everything.. And they insist on giving me bags. Makes me want to scream, yell, jump up and down, even pull out a bit of hair.

What's also impossible to avoid is high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. Pick your lesser evil, folks, or you'll end up with an empty pantry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008 12:38:59 PM »

Veering way OT, but yes, exactly!  There is  no more food in our food, and that is how they are profiting while people grow fat and sick.  It's evil. The things our government (FDA is such a joke) allows all big businesses to do in the name of profits irritate me way more than anything one company does.  It's what you buy, just as much as where you buy it.

Back on topic, the OP's bag rocks.  I'm crocheting one still, but I guess I'll have to try one of these, too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008 12:42:57 PM by bigeyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mkonen
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2008 06:05:09 PM »

I love it and plan on saving up some plastic bags to make some, where do I find the instructions? I imagine you layer the bags, cover with some thing to protect iron, and go for it? What setting for the iron? Thanks so much for sharing this
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Balayage Highlights
Messy Updos Are in This Summer
How Liz Vaccariello Maintains Her Bountiful Bangs
Learn How to Paint Sun-Kissed Balayage Highlights at Home
Ponytails Get Glamorous on the Cannes Red Carpet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...