A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ReUsable PLAPER Grocery Bag!  (Read 14298 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

creamycharb
« on: February 02, 2008 05:37:43 PM »

Hola everyone,
I have been a voyeur of craftster for several months now and I am just tickled to enter this challenge.  In fact, it was a resolution of mine before even knowing of this particular craftster challenge.

My 3-fold resolution is:
#1- Enter a craftster challenge.  (YEEE-HAWW!!  Feels good!!)
#2- Use reusable grocery bags.
#3- Stop shopping at a particular Gigantimart in my town that shall remain nameless.

So yeah- #1 is a gimmie, but I did want to put it in there because Im proud of myself.

#2- I have had this one on my radar for years.  I HATE plastic bags and everything they stand for.  I hate how they overrun my home.  I hate how grocery baggers under-fill them.  I double hate their detriment to the environment.  AND, though I love the size and shape of the big paper grocery bags- I hate the idea of cutting down trees to carry my precious groceries. 
None of this is new. 
I have seen countless awesome ideas for reusable grocery bags, right here on craftster, and I figured it was high time I made some for myself. I looked and looked for styles that I liked, and fabric that I liked.  And finally, I came up with my very own design idea. (I do promise I havent seen this particular anywhere myself.  Please correct me if you have seen it elsewhere.  Id like to give credit where its due.)
                                           THE PLAPER BAG!!!!!
This was born out of the wonderful tutorials out there on fusing plastic bags to make a stiff sewable plastic fabric, and my love of the paper bag for size and shape when it comes to carrying groceries.  I sewed a paper-type bag out of the fused plastic (and added functional handles)

PLASTIC- PLAPER- PAPER

STRONG REENFORCED BOTTOM

NICELY FOLDED

STURDY HANDLES

ACTION SHOT (WORKS GREAT!)

And then this brings us to #3.
There is a mega mega MEGA store in my home town that moved in while I was living elsewhere.  I moved home to find all the little mom and pop stores vanished, (mostly all the craft and fabric stores), forcing me to either drive 40 mins. out of my way, or frequent this place, which ironically, never had what I needed anyway.  I finally decided- 
NO MORE!
So- when I was designing my plaper bag- I did a bit of clever layering with some plastic bags from this mystery mega store and this store that had a big red circle in their logo that I cut to make the empty set sign as a bit of a jab of dislike. (I blurred the mega store logo in the photos, because I realize this is a personal beef, and the last thing I am trying to do is slander this store on craftster).

LOGO JAB

I have used my new bag several times, and I love it.  But I am thinking I need about 4 or 5 more for those BIG food shopping trips. 
Id be glad to post a tutorial when I make my next one, if there is an interest. 
And thank you thank you for looking at my FIRST craftster challenge entry. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theblackplague
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008 05:47:09 PM »

This is awesome!  I love how you added handles to it, as regular paper bags are awkward at best.  And the layering with the images?  Too cool.  Great job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FicklePegasus

Evil, but in a good way

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008 05:58:35 PM »

Awsome!  I like that design and the message you're sending with the layers  Wink  I also do not shop at that mystery store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/FicklePegasus

My Baby Cuthulu Blanket was featured on http://geekcrafts.com/
PhunkyThreads
this is the only craftster id I've ever had

wait for it....it wil come...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008 06:48:05 PM »

that is a cool bag

and dont worry,

everyone on here pretty much hates walmart
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If speaking my mind gets me in trouble with the establishment,then I never want to be silent
the_christine
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008 09:02:34 PM »

That bag is so awesome.  Did you have any trouble fusing the plastic?  I have wanted to try this but I'm afraid it will either gum up my iron or release toxic fumes or both.  Then did you just make a pattern from a paper grocery bag?  I love how you did this and how you played with the logos! 

Walmart is pretty much the worst place ever, I hate it there. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucastheboo
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008 09:56:46 PM »

Well Wal-Mart doesn't have a big red circle or red at all in their logo so I'd say its not Wal-Mart and rather a Target. I really hate that people don't like Wal-Mart, I work there and we are doing alot to go green, we have been recycling cardboard and plastic as well as drink cans for along time now, all our bags are made of recycled plastic from either old bags or hangers, and we now sell reuseable shopping bags that are tote sized and only a dollar and the hold alot, they make them out of recycled plastic bags and the are woven so they are tough. My Wal-Mart store, Store 0690 has done alot for the community we gave local churches 30% off vouchers that they used to buy clothing for the needy children for Christmas, my store also cleaned up a local river that I personally helped with, the city couldn't afford to pay people to clean it up so Wal-Mart took volunteers from our store on our days off and we cleaned the river up three times and made it into the paper we ended up getting a grant from the state for our work which we donated to the city to start a recycling campain. I know that big companies do take away from smaller businesses and that is a sad fact, but we try to give the customers what they want, and Wal-Mart isn't the only big company that does it, other retail store take away from local vendors and chain specialty stores do too. We really do try and there are alot of small things that Wal-Mart does that gets overlooked and I just wanted to bring a little info your direction, I do understand why some people are antiWal-Mart but we aren't the worst, we do do alot for our local communities that other retail giants don't and I'd rather her people be antiretail that just jaded against Wal-Mart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges.
meepmeep987
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008 10:13:25 PM »

Actually, she said she drew the red circles on there. And it's obvious that it's WalMart because the "save money live better" slogan is all over it.

Excellent grocery bag, good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008 12:38:49 AM »

Great design! The handles are great on that shape bag, kinda like Trader Joe paper bags (which are like gold in my-house, we re-use them until they fall apart, but obviously this is even better and will last even longer!).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008 09:45:06 AM by maremare312 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
creamycharb
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008 12:59:52 AM »

EEK! Shocked
I am totally sorry that the mystery-mart became the focus here.  Like i said, it's a personal problem i have with the store, and this isn't the forum for me to barf about such things.
i probably shouldnt have mentioned that aspect of the project.
please disregard resolution #3.  i'll correct it tomorrow when i am more awake.

as for the bag construction- yes, its just a paper bag pattern. 
and the fused plastic is interesting, although not my favorite.  it is difficult for me to get the temp just right on the iron, and you MUST use parchment paper or some kind of barrier so your iron doesnt get all gummed up.
for this i used 3 bags on top of eachother, and they werent cut open, so that's 6 layers of plastic.
it sews together OK, but behaves like any slick fabric would, so care must be taken there. 
overall, for the bag style i chose that's all boxy, i think the stiff fused plastic was the best choice.  it stands on it's own and is sturdier than paper or 1 layer of plastic.

thanks for your comments.
and again, sorry if my entry was a source of contention.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessimocha
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008 08:04:38 AM »

this turned out really really awesome! i really like the way that you reused the old plastic bags in order to reduce your use of plastic. (i think reduce and reuse are the most important r's, i find too many people and legislations are aimed at recycling, but not enough are aimed at simply reducing and reusing what we have)

i also love that you made your statement using the layers - that's so clever! and thanks for the tips about the fusible plastic, i've been wanting to try it out myself.

i think it's great that you incorporated your resolution #3. and i see no reason why you shouldn't include it in your post. you made it pretty clear that you didn't want this post to end up bashing the store.  especially since you went to the trouble of actually blurring out the logo in all the bags! i feel just the same as you, but this is no place to discuss it.

it is a really wonderful project and a great way to reach your resolutions! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we will arise from the bunkers,
by land, by sea, by dirigible
we'll leave our tracks untraceable now

[and] hear all the bombs fade away...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Spicy Korean Pan-Fried Pork and Oreo Smores
Asian Hot Sauce Recipe
How to Make Vietnamese Pork Chops
How to Cook Maple and Soy-Glazed Flank Steak
How to Cook Spicy Basil Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...