A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafters Choice Members Unite to save SnB Nation!  (Read 10736 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tere
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005 05:04:05 AM »

Hey there,
I agree with all your intelligent comments regarding this issue. It brings up a pet peeve of mine--ignorance!!! And narrow-mindedness. First of all, most of us do not live in an environment so sheltered we've not heard the word bitch before (nor would we want to). To see it on the cover of a book was actually refreshing for me, and after learning the reference to Stitch n Bitch groups, I thought it a very clever title. I also feel that these reviewers underestimate our maturity and intellect by assuming us younger people would become jaded because of a word like bitch. Jeeze.
Anyway, thanks for allowing me to vent. I don't own the second book (no more $$!) , but out of principle I will certainly place a good review.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005 07:09:20 AM »

Would a child even know what "ribbed for her pleasure" means?? Not unless some adult started making a big deal about it and the kid decided to find out!

Who cares if the title is appropriate for kids? It's not a kids' book! Anyhow, they can say "bitch" on primetime now, can't they?

I agree: who cares if a book for adults is "appropriate" for little kids? If books are going to be judged only by their title and their level of  child-appropriateness then we're in a lot of trouble! This country's going to sink unbelievably deeper into a pit of social and intellectual ignorance. I shouldn't even go here, BUT these same people probably don't bat an eyelash when their couch potato pre-teen sits on their arse and plays uber-violent video games all day.

The people on Crafters' Choice who gave the negative "reviews" based on nothing but the title are obviously closed-minded, ignoramuses who don't understand what the definition of "review" is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005 06:09:00 PM »

while i dont hav an issue with the word bitch AT ALL, my grandmas face was just great (you know, the "they let them publish books with *that* on them?? look) when i opened the book at xmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
me_huh
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005 07:47:17 PM »

bah! people need to realize that the only thing that makes a word a "swear word" is the context its in. for example, i know a few people who refuse to swear so they just say the first letter of the word they really mean instead of saying the full word. they don't even stop to think about the fact that what they are saying means the EXACT same thing as the word they are trying to avoid using. it is all about context and intent. what you want a word to mean is what it means.  i hope all of that makes sense.

my point really is that in the title of the book "bitch" isn't even in the context of a swear word - it means to sit around and talk/complain - whatever.

hehe. that was my two cents!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005 08:11:25 PM by me_huh » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PhishyWishy
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005 07:48:28 PM »

Well, I did my share of saving! I made that book sound so sweet that I could vomit Smiley
I also added a mini rant on how people shouldnt be so silly about the name. It's just a name for goodness sake!

Also, I have a question about Crafter's Choice. I just signed up tonight and I chose the "Bill me" option. Will they send me my books and bill at the same time or do I have to pay the bill first? Thanks

~Jess~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005 12:28:49 PM »

They send a bill with the book.  And they WILL send books even if you have a balance you haven't paid.  (I found that out the hard way.  Oops...  you mean I didn't send that card back in last month?)  I will say, I just toss out the bill that comes with the books because I really REALLY like the "Pay online" option.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
burned-heart
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005 06:14:12 PM »

... My grandmum completely ignored the "bitch" part. She was more shocked about the fishnet tights. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thejigisup
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005 06:46:32 AM »

To focus on "Bitch" is to neglect the real problem here: the 'n.
Where is the other apostrophe?Two letters are missing, not just one! You can't flout English grammar just because you're "hip"!
THAT is why people should burn, um, I mean spurn, this book!
Wink

P.S. Any cowgirl worth her salt knows you can't make a decent lasso with yarn, but they promote this myth, too...scandalous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me has been told me has healing hands.
me_huh
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005 07:30:17 AM »

Where is the other apostrophe?Two letters are missing, not just one! You can't flout English grammar just because you're "hip"!...

P.S. Any cowgirl worth her salt knows you can't make a decent lasso with yarn, but they promote this myth, too...scandalous!!

hahhahahhaha. that was so great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmichigan

long lost sister of rosie palm

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005 07:41:11 AM »

I left my remarks last night too!
To focus on "Bitch" is to neglect the real problem here: the 'n.
Where is the other apostrophe?Two letters are missing, not just one! You can't flout English grammar just because you're "hip"!
THAT is why people should burn, um, I mean spurn, this book!
Wink

I mean, really! And since when do cowgirls knit? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you like to go to a pants party?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Faces
How to Draw Clothes
How to Draw Cars
How to Draw Basic Flowers
How to Draw Basic Feet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...