A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toddler bib/smock with tutorial  (Read 34999 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

indywriter
I am my grandma's girl

The reason why.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 02, 2008 12:42:24 PM »

My oldest daughter had a Winnie the Pooh smock-style bib when she was little.  It died, as plastic bibs are wont to do.  And when my little one started feeding herself more, I looked in vain for a similar model.  I finally found one but it was very pink and covered with Disney Princesses, and while the little one loves princesses, this was a bit overpowering.  So I decided to use it for a pattern to make my own bib.

To make this bib you will want a piece of fabric about 22" by 17" and a package of double fold bias tape.  To protect from stains I would suggest laminated cotton or Therm-o-Web Iron-On Vinyl.  Since Joann's and Hobby Lobby are my only local resources, I will be using the iron-on vinyl in this tutorial.

I prefer to start with heavy weight fabric with a cool pattern.  Here is the pattern you need to cut out (with measurements):

After you cut out your bib, you should decide if you want to add a pocket to the bottom of the front.  You could make this out of clear vinyl if you have it or another piece of your fabric.  You just need to decide how deep a pocket you want.

If you don't have laminated cotton, you will now need to iron on your vinyl (sorry about the different color fabric, I have two bibs in progress).

Now you can start sewing the bias tape on.  You will want to start by sewing it on the edges of the arms (and top of the pocket if you decided to add one):

Then you will start sewing bias tape on at the corner of the neck, and then down the arm.  You will want to bring the two corners of the arm edge together in order to create your sleeve:

Continue on around the edge (attaching your pocket if you choose to add one), and finish your other sleeve, too:

Then you will want to leave some bias tape for a tie (being sure to sew it up first), then sew some on around the edge of the neck.  You will obviously want to leave a tail on the other end too:

Due to the limited width of iron-on-vinyl, you cannot really make this pattern any wider than it is in the arms.  If you have laminated cotton, you can make your sleeves any length you want.

Also, you might see that I used narrow bias tape.  This was a mistake, as far as I'm concerned.  It will work fine, but wider bias tape will go on easier and faster.  And who doesn't love easier and faster?

Before you go off to create your own bib/smock, you should see it action of course:

Please let me know if I can clarify anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indywriter 
http://www.haleycreations.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/indywriter

------------------<---<--<@
I know a little garden close
Set thick with Lily and red Rose
Where I would wander if I might
From dewy dawn to dewy night.

W. Morris
earthmonkey
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008 12:48:51 PM »

Cool tute - the photos make the explanations so much clearer. I've never heard of laminated cotton or that iron on vinyl stuff - must go hunt around in my local craft store. I think I would probably add a pocket that went the whole width of the bib - following the bottom edge of the bib ... it'd be useful for catching all those bits that fall! Thanks for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eds6619
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008 12:53:50 PM »

I LOVE it.  I might have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008 01:33:36 PM »

Wowsie! Great kid pic, whatta look! Thanks for tute, tu!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indywriter
I am my grandma's girl

The reason why.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008 03:47:29 PM »

Cool tute - the photos make the explanations so much clearer. I've never heard of laminated cotton or that iron on vinyl stuff - must go hunt around in my local craft store. I think I would probably add a pocket that went the whole width of the bib - following the bottom edge of the bib ... it'd be useful for catching all those bits that fall! Thanks for this!

The first one I made I put a pocket on, but in truth this bib is long enough that it will sit in the lap of younger kids.  So the pocket isn't as necessary as it could be.

Fabric.com has some laminated cotton (Michael Miller designs), but I have seen it elsewhere online for cheaper (I just can't remember the site).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indywriter 
http://www.haleycreations.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/indywriter

------------------<---<--<@
I know a little garden close
Set thick with Lily and red Rose
Where I would wander if I might
From dewy dawn to dewy night.

W. Morris
Christinadavinci
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008 04:55:17 PM »

That is so cute and cool!  Thank you so much for posting this.  I have a soon to be 3 yr old stepdaughter that needs one of these soooo bad.  I usually put an old shirt on her when she eats because I know she is going to waste something no matter what.  Also, my 17 mon old son could eat popscicles all day long and his baby bibs just aren't long enough.  Thanks again, I have to try these ASAP!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norahkate
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008 04:56:24 PM »

thank you so much!  i have a friend who just got legal guardianship of her 3 yr old niece who has cp, among some other health problems.  she is such a doll!  they are just having problems finding bibs big enough to cover, and she drools quite a bit so she needs them on all the time.  now i can make her some that work and are cute!  thank you thank you thank you again! Smiley

edited to add: pictures of two finished bibs!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008 09:44:12 PM by norahkate - Reason: adding pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
norahkate
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008 08:30:26 PM »

i posted about this on the discussion board, but as this is the bib i'm making thought i would throw it out here too...does anyone know about the washability of vinyl?  (like my words?)  i have a remnant of clear vinyl that i was going to put in between layers of fabric for these bibs but want to be able to throw it in the wash... Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
smmcquilt
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009 11:10:10 AM »

this is great - I want to make some smock bibs for our grandson and will use this pattern, saves me some trial and error on sizing, etc.

re: washing vinyl - I used to make vinyl dustcovers for computers and made some special ones with fabric over the vinyl for friends and family. Also some bibs for great nieces and nephews [and my dad when he was ill and shaky]- I did them with vinyl sandwiched between fabric too - terry and cotton. They were pullover style with ribbed cotton 'collars'. I don't know if the computer covers were ever washed but the bibs certainly were, and if you have the right sort of PVC vinyl, they are definitely washable.

When our kids were babies, we still had some old style plastic 'pants' for over their diapers and some then then-new diaper covering snap sided pants [if that makes sense]; these all went in the washer and dryer, absolutely. Best way to check if your vinyl is the right type is to make a little swatch of the layers you;ll use for the smock and wash and dry it. Or go on faith, which is usually my method. ;-)

great site - just found it today - if I get more bibs or smocks made, I will try to post a photo

cheers, m
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
BBQ Potato Chips Recipe
Lighter Three-Cheese Mac
Chocolate Stout Cake Recipe
Green Eggs and Ham Omelet
Chicken Cassoulet with Fennel and Bacon Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...