A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oh. My. God. I knitted a sweater.  (Read 5600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HelenaJane

I am Vodkasan Tobacci Tao!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2005 08:23:17 AM »

I love how this sweater came out. I can tell just by looking at it, that this sweater would become one of my staples! I love the way it fits on you, it reminds me of a vintage sweater I have but can't wear anymore! I think this might be a more than suitable replacement! I'm going to go look for the pattern today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! KNITTING FOR BOOZEHAGS....
www.knittingforbooz ehags.com
k8thagr8
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2005 12:00:46 AM »

very very cute!!  i about fell over when i made my first sweater.  it was soooo much easier than i thought it would be.  that book absolutely rocks and i've made a few thjings from it.  so so so easy and understandable!!

i have a question for ya...did you block that sweater?  i haven't had to do that yet and i am not (at all) looking forward to having to do that.  :|
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
HelenaJane

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005 08:29:26 AM »

I got that book yesterday! I'm using Lopi light in this burnished 70's orange.
I finished the back last night.
It's a real simple pattern, which is great because it's ripe for tweaking. I'm going to do my next one with popcorn stitch on the 2 front pieces!
Thanks so much for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daria

and how does lemur skin reflect the sea?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005 04:02:26 PM »

. . .i have a question for ya...did you block that sweater?  i haven't had to do that yet and i am not (at all) looking forward to having to do that.  :|

Yeah, The sweater came out slightly snug so I blocked it so I could it stretch it out a bit so now it fits like a glove!

Blocking really isn't all that painful.  Do you have the first Stitch and Bitch book?  I feel that Debbie Stoller's instructions on how to block are the best.  Blocking can sometimes really do wonders for your knitting.  There were many times when I finished a project and was on the verge of tears because I thought I did something wrong or it was just a crappy job done on my part.  However, after dunking it in some cool water and stretching it into proportions, voila!  It looked somewhat reminiscent of the one displayed in the pattern!  Whew!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Jose brought up the blueprints for a new ranch house. . .I have this strange feeling that the blueprints and the knitting instructions got switched. . ."

I May Be Knitting A Ranch House
tootightjeans
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005 06:15:37 PM »

i am a little afraid of delving into sweater knitting myself, but i will definitely check out the book you recommended- and great cardigan! i can't wait until i can do that!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'll give you a tuffet.
k8thagr8
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2005 06:19:08 PM »

locking really isn't all that painful.  Do you have the first Stitch and Bitch book?  I feel that Debbie Stoller's instructions on how to block are the best.  Blocking can sometimes really do wonders for your knitting.  There were many times when I finished a project and was on the verge of tears because I thought I did something wrong or it was just a crappy job done on my part.  However, after dunking it in some cool water and stretching it into proportions, voila!  It looked somewhat reminiscent of the one displayed in the pattern!  Whew!!

i don't have the first book.  i think i just get so impatient when i make something that detailed.  i wanna get it on and enjoy!!  maybe i should just learn to deal.  thanks for the encouragement.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what WOULD willie do?
HelenaJane

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2005 08:49:56 AM »

Daria, thanks for that (about it being snug) I'm 5'11 and I'm looking at it going, "welllllllllllll, it's a bit on the skinny side" It does look rather snug... Glad to know you had good results with the blocking, as I, too am going to have to do the same....
But I still love it and would NEVER have picked this book up if it weren't for your inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daria

and how does lemur skin reflect the sea?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2005 11:44:14 AM »

HelenaJane, you are too sweet, thanks!

And yeah, I think this sweater was meant to be blocked.  I'm 5'7 and I followed the instructions for the medium sized cardigan.  As I was sewing the seams together, I thought the sweater looked awfully small.  Something like a 13 year old would fit into.  And then when I tried it on. . .well, let's just say it wasn't pretty. . .I was thinking about giving it away to a little cousin of mine or something before I blocked it. 

But anyhoo, as we all know, I got to keep the cardigan after all.  I just let the sweater soak in some lukewarm water mixed with baby shampoo for about 5-10 minutes.  Then I rinsed it out with some cool water a couple of times and GENTLY squeezed the excess water out.  Then I got a bunch of towels, laid them out on the floor and just stretched out the sweater to the dimensions that I wanted.  And then waited a LONG ass time for it to dry.

I used Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride for my sweater.  I never used Reynolds Lopi Lite before so I'm unfamilair with how it blocks exactly.  But I remember reading in a catalog somewhere that it's 100% Icelandic Wool (am I right?  this is just a guess) so you really shouldn't have too much trouble. 

Good luck and you must post pics of your finished project, HelenaJane.  Can't wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Jose brought up the blueprints for a new ranch house. . .I have this strange feeling that the blueprints and the knitting instructions got switched. . ."

I May Be Knitting A Ranch House
Tere
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2005 10:28:08 AM »

Daria,
I still love your sweater, and I have to confess I've bookmarked this page so I can look at your yellow cardigan when I get bored and unmotivated with my in-progress green cardigan Tongue
I wanted to ask you, did you find that blocking the sweater with baby shampoo made it softer? The sweater I'm making now is 100% wool and kind of picky..I wonder if it could be made softer at all. Is  Lamb's Pride soft? So many questions, sorry!
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gertie_T
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2005 04:47:39 PM »

I love your cardigan too! It looks great on you.

I also have that book, and just recently finished the "give the people what they want" cardigan (awful name, cute sweater!). You've inspired me to make this cardigan my next project! I'm thinking about using something like Classic Elite Lush (half angora, half wool) or something similarly fuzzy. Smiley

Hmmmm, cardigan knitalong perhaps? I need some serious help to get me out of my knitting ennui . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
SELF Magazine’s Spring 2014 Beauty Update
This Trick Will Take the Redness Out of Your Pimple
4 Makeup Tips to Change Your Routine Forever
A Natural Solution For Backache
How to Wear Fresh Spring Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...