A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,472
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Globular Glass Magnets *NOW WITH NEW PHOTOS*  (Read 14111 times)
Tags for this thread: glass_gems , flat_glass_marble , magnet , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

riverwatson
« on: February 01, 2008 07:30:06 PM »

Hi. I made these when I should have been doing homework! I know they've been done a thousand times, but I am having so much fun with this, I felt compelled to post. They are your standard glass glob magnets. I think one of our handy dandy craftster mods made a bracelet out of these glass globs some time ago. And I'm always seeing these magnets in swaps. I love them. Even though they're good for nothing but decorating the fridge. I composed a short tute, just cuz. They're crazy simple to make. Happy sploodging!

Ingredients:

1 jar of any finish Mod Podge
     (I used Satin finish because I like it... As someone else has noted in a reply, any clear glue will work!)

1 bag of glass globs from the floral department of your local WhereverMart
     (I purchased this good-sized bag from my local Dollar Tree store.)

Super tiny pictures of anything
     (I literally used pictures of anything. Magazines are hard to come by 'round my house. I am notorious for chopping them to bits and Mod Podging just about any solid surface.)

One or two sheets of cheap sticky magnet
     (Also courtesy of The Dollar Tree; see above re: glass globs.)

Directions:

1. Cut out about 3/4" rounds of little pictures- from magazine ads, old books, junk mail... anything you can find that looks cool. ( I used a cut out of some Ani Difranco lyrics for this example.) Place little picture cut-outs on a piece of scrap paper, or- in my case I used whatever was handy to protect the surface of my Mod-Podged coffee table- a coaster from Red Robin. (My crafting table has been claimed by a goldfish tank!)  Roll Eyes

2. Mod Podge the flat side of a glass glob and sploodge it on to the correct side of selected picture. I find it helps to make a sploodge noise while you press down on the picture.

Just to make sure you make good contact and sploodge out all of the excess decoupage glue so that your picture dries quickly and is clear. Wait about 10 minutes for the glue to dry. Eat a sandwich. Watch the first half of an episode of The Office. Pick your nose. Look around on Craftster. Or in my case, crack a textbook, you crazy procrastinator!

3. Cut out a 3/4" round piece of sticky magnet. Peel off the backing to expose the adhesive. Smoosh firmly onto the flat, dry, newly decoupaged side of your glass glob.

4. Stick onto your fridge and grin.

5. Repeat as desired. You know you want to.

*** 2 days later... ***

My homework is still half-finished, but somehow I found the time to make 15 more glass glob magnets...

Beauteous, no?

Here they are on my fridge with the business-card sized Office and Little Miss Sunshine magnets for comparison. (My glass globs are about 3/4" in diameter.) The Quaker guy goes on my fridge to remind me to be an American and eat my oats!

And here are some close-ups. The dark ones don't photograph so well. But they look good in person!

And my Righteous Babe and Macaw magnets I am particularly proud of. Sorry the pics are so bad, they were hard to zero in on!

Hope you liked! Even though this is a super simple craft, I encourage everyone to post their own glass glob magnets and creations- Cheesy it's really cool to see what other people manage to find really tiny pictures of!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008 05:29:50 PM by riverwatson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
stacyoigirl
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008 07:41:00 PM »

This is great. I did not know that a picture would show thru a regluar glass thing, I thought you had to find special ones. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
riverwatson
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008 07:43:23 PM »

and they  Shocked magnify  Shocked the pictures too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
twisted5whispers
Knit knit knit

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008 07:48:37 PM »

ooooh i love the dorothy one!!! i love itt they are so cool thanks for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in doing personal swaps! I can knit, crochet and sew. Smiley
micstarz
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008 08:03:28 PM »

nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged
siennadsazam

Bangin' on a table with an old tin cup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008 08:10:21 PM »

I have always wanted to make these. I really need to get going on it. This is such a great project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tatobuggy7
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008 08:14:55 PM »

These are so fun to make. I did some with those curious george banana stickers they had a while back. I love em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

multibeavo
Da Beav

Bears, beets battlestar gallactica!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008 08:51:05 PM »

Those are cool, thanks for the tut. BTW I am obsessed with the office! My hubby has been gone for a month and almost nightly I put the kids to bed and put on an office dvd and crochet until I'm tired!  Smiley It never stops being hilarious! Great job on the magnets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TastyMagic
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008 09:15:00 PM »

I made about a hundred of these at a DIY party last sunday and instead of cheap dollar store magnets, I went to Michaels and bought little round magnets to glue on the back. They are MUCH stronger... they can hold up...like... two pieces of paper at a time! WOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end the crafts you take are equal to the crafts you make

Visit my etsy shop! blossomandblooms.etsy.com
mailboxcandy
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008 10:24:59 PM »

This will have to be my next instant gratification project. We have everything we need to make them in the house right now. (7 year old daughter and I). Thanks for the Sploodge Tutorial and reminding me that I want to make these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Badger Photographs
Photographing a Bagder
Red Deer Photographs
How to Photograph a Red Deer
Red Squirrel Photographs
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...