A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Globular Glass Magnets *NOW WITH NEW PHOTOS*  (Read 14038 times)
Tags for this thread: glass_gems , flat_glass_marble , magnet , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008 10:41:45 PM »

Totally doing this. You got me hooked with the sploodge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
just*chris
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008 11:03:50 PM »

Smiley  i love these! i just moved into a new apartment and lost all my funky magnets along the way  Angry 

so now thanks to your great tute i'm all set to make some new ones. THANKS!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
riverwatson
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008 07:52:19 AM »

I made about a hundred of these at a DIY party last sunday and instead of cheap dollar store magnets, I went to Michaels and bought little round magnets to glue on the back. They are MUCH stronger... they can hold up...like... two pieces of paper at a time! WOW!

Hey! Thanks so much for giving me a heads up on where to get some stronger magnets. I just happened to be at the dollar store and they just happened to have everything I needed for this crafty endeavor, so it was definitely an instant gratification thing. I didn't realize until I that my "photo magnet" sheets were hardly strong enough to hold up little glass globs. (But they're pretty and that's all that matters!!) Still, it would be awesome if they were useful, too, mirite?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
riverwatson
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008 07:55:01 AM »

Those are cool, thanks for the tut. BTW I am obsessed with the office! My hubby has been gone for a month and almost nightly I put the kids to bed and put on an office dvd and crochet until I'm tired!  Smiley It never stops being hilarious! Great job on the magnets!

One of the magnets is Dwight's face, didja see?!

I love the office. I got all of these awesome office magnets from the dollar bins at target. Including some post-it notes that have Dwight on them holding a bottle of water and saying "The Shrutes produce very thirsty babies." which I bought for my boyfriend cuz he loves The Office and I love him. Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
sibyll
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008 10:33:15 PM »

These are great! I love marble magnets.
Just a note for those who will be making them -- You don't have to use Modge Podge. I used E-6000 glue, because I have it around the house. Any clear glue (think rubber cement) will work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dez-igns
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008 11:03:49 PM »

I love making these too!! totally addicting Grin  I found that the sheet magnets werent strong enough as well and found the stronger round ones at a dollar store ( where I by everything!!!) oh and totally love the office 2!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So you, could spend the morning walkin with me, quite amazed. As I am unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed.
http://www.dezignsforkidz.etsy.com
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008 05:13:40 AM »

aww, this post was so well done i read a tute for something a already knew how to do!!! i like the dorothymagnet best, but very pretty tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shelleibean
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008 07:25:21 AM »

you know- i also find it helps to make a splooge noise when you press down.  and sing the swiffer song when i clean my house.

seriously though- awesome project.  i have magnets like this that i did not make, but bought on clearance at target.  i should so make some.  do you think the colored glass globs would work just as well? like say a lightish color?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
riverwatson
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008 11:28:24 AM »

I was just thinking about this... the glass globs that I bought are slightly iridescent.  And I tried to make magnets with dark pictures and the shininess just sort of masked the image, making the magnet mirror-like. But I think a black and white kind of image would look really nice with a colored glass glob. And, just using your own good crafty judgment- some dark or colored pictures might come out better as well. I'll have to try that when I have the time. And a lot less homework!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
rhymewithorange

chemists do it with models

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008 11:38:07 AM »

Woot woot Righteous babe!!

These are awesome. I tried going for a similar effect with resin and it was impossible...the resin kept getting all bubbly cause apparently I'm not good at pouring resin. But I think I could brush some mod podge on a piece of glass! Yes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gloucester Inspires Novel: Beauty
What Would You Sacrifice for a Second Chance?
Noggin by John Corey Whaley Book Trailer
The Real Life of John Wayne, a Hollywood and American Icon
Southern Minute with Fannie Flagg
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...