A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to shorten a long skirt?  (Read 432 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2008 10:27:04 AM »

I'm a novice sewer. I would like to shorten one of those ankle-length satin bridesmaid skirts to a more wearable knee-length, but I don't know how to do it. Do I just start cutting? Any advice would be very appreciated! I searched here under variations on "shorten a skirt" or "hem a skirt" but no luck. Thanks in advance for your help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008 11:30:15 AM »

Best way is to recruit a friend to help you with marking.  Put the skirt on with the shoes you are most likely to wear with it.  Stand in front of your friend and have them place pins around the skirt at the length you want it to be.  You are not pinning anything up at this point, just marking where you want the hem to be.  When you have the skirt marked all the way around you can take it off.  If you don't have someone that could help you with pinning, you could always tack a string across a doorway at the height you want your skirt to be and then chalk it up.  Then with the skirt on and the shoes on, stand next to the chalked line and turn around.  The chalk will rub off onto the skirt and mark it for you.

Now look at the hem that is originally in the skirt.  Is it a narrow hem or a wide one?  You want to put the same kind of hem in at the new length.  So how much you cut off will depend on how much hem you need.  If you are putting in a narrow hem you want to trim the skirt to about an inch below where you want the bottom of your new hem to be.  Basically you want to have double the amount of final hem to work with. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Easy Ways to Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Winter
LUSH Eyeshadow Review
Women Dye Their Armpit Hair In Bizarre New Beauty Trend
How to Make Homemade Bath Bombs
How to Apply Blur Cream
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...