A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
844 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: reversible Amoeba whole-cloth hand quilted labor of love (img heavy)  (Read 5655 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funda62
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008 03:12:56 PM »

Gorgeous, creative, amazing!  Enjoy it because you deserve it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
quilted
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008 03:54:06 PM »

Thank you all for the kind words! Now I want to make a Rock garden quilt Grin

How long did this take you? And you said you did it while watching TV, did you use a frame?

Yup, I used a frame, and I guess I look where I stitch, but then I sort of look at the TV while pulling the thread through... does that make sense? I injure myself a lot  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
Sandytoes
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008 06:36:31 PM »

Beautiful!!  How did you come up with the idea for an amoeba??  You'd do a great job on a rock garden quilt.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Home is where your dog is....
quilted
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008 07:06:01 PM »

Beautiful!!  How did you come up with the idea for an amoeba??  You'd do a great job on a rock garden quilt.  Smiley

Thanks! Truthfully, this is just one of those ways that I doodle during classes/meetings... drawing these abstract circle thingies.

What's a rock garden quilt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008 07:57:44 PM »

Wonderful design ... wholecloth quilts are some of my favourites. I really like the "differentness" of your amoebas! It's neat to see a wholecloth with a unique design rather than the old stand-bys.

When you were handquilting, were you using the "stab stitch" method (where you take a stitch, draw it up all the way the length of the thread, and then take another stitch) or did you use the "rocking" method (where you load 3 or more stitches on the needle by rocking the needle thru the three layers of quilt before pulling the thread thru the quilt)?

When you stab stitch, it is more difficult to get your stitches even and straight. You have to really pay attention to how you are bringing the needle up thru the backing. Stab stitch is good when you are going for a folk-art look, or when taking larger stitches with a thicker thread.

The rocking method is the easiest when trying to acheive small, straight, even stitches. Because you can load multiple stitches on the needle at once, the needle itself will help keep the stitches in an even line. Also, if you use a smaller needle, you can get smaller stitches.

All that crap being said  Grin, I generally use the stab stitch method for most stuff. I've made a couple of "whole cloth" pillows with celtic knot designs that I used the rocking method. I found that when I'm using the rocking method, it helps to practice on something else for around 15 minutes or so, to get the rhythm going before working on your masterpiece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
grammardog
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008 07:42:22 AM »

That is STUNNING!  Beautiful work... I can`t imagine the patience and commitment that required.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quilted
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008 07:50:10 AM »

When you were handquilting, were you using the "stab stitch" method (where you take a stitch, draw it up all the way the length of the thread, and then take another stitch) or did you use the "rocking" method (where you load 3 or more stitches on the needle by rocking the needle thru the three layers of quilt before pulling the thread thru the quilt)?

Yup, I use the rocking method, so I really don't have a good excuse for the uneveness Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

unconstuctive
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008 04:41:08 PM »

Wow, that is so awesome! This is the kind of thing that makes me want to learn to quilt, but at the same time make me realize I will never be able to do what you did Tongue  It's really, really gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008 08:59:12 AM »

Yup, I use the rocking method, so I really don't have a good excuse for the uneveness Smiley

Ah, not true! When I rock and roll, abt every 5th stitch of mine is wonky. You just get to the point saying, "What the *#&k, who cares?" and keep going.

... well, at least I do.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
quilted
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008 09:15:52 AM »

Wow, that is so awesome! This is the kind of thing that makes me want to learn to quilt, but at the same time make me realize I will never be able to do what you did Tongue  It's really, really gorgeous!

Keep in mind that this is only my third hand-quilted quilt... I bet you could do it (even better, prob) if you tried! If you want some advice on how to start, let me know! I have lots of time-saving steps.
Smiley
(*begin brainwashing*)You will learn how to quilt(*end brainwashing*)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephanie’s Makeover with Shantal Dupon – Part 2/2
Salon Owner and Stylist Tips with Fabio Sementilli
ScissorBoy Bonus Video with Mark Hayes
Basics of Diagonal Cutting
Front Desk Training with Rocky Vitelli
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...