A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: reversible Amoeba whole-cloth hand quilted labor of love (img heavy)  (Read 5904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quilted
« on: February 01, 2008 09:45:53 AM »

Hello friends! After six months of hand quilting my first whole-cloth (whole cloth? wholecloth?) quilt, I present to you: Reversible Amoebas!

The Amoebas are quilted in ecru thread, and the lines are quilted one inch apart in navy.

(ignore the lump under the quilt. I couldnt bear to make my dog, Roy, move out of the way)

I was hoping that on the ecru side the navy lines would pop out more, but I think I lost that effect (also, the pics aren't the greatest).

This is the first quilt I have ever made for myself, and I had so much fun making it. I have really been looking forward to posting this, and I cant wait to read your feedback, comments, advice, questions, etc.

You can probably tell from looking at the detailed pics that I am somewhat new to hand quilting.

Any advice on getting my stitches to be more even? It seemed like the harder I tried, the worse they got. When I just fazed out and watched TV or listened to NPR, I had much better results Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
punka
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008 10:06:26 AM »

OM(F)G!

Sorry, I have no advice but I am gobsmacked at the craft that has gone into this - you must have the patience of a saint! Beautiful design too. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008 10:14:10 AM »

That is amazing! I would never have that much patience! You have natural talent, keep hand quilting!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sleeps_with_dogs
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008 10:16:22 AM »

This is so beautiful AND FANCY!!!  It looks perfect to cuddle with a dog under!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
winodini
Queen of the Gnomes

Shot Caller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008 11:19:09 AM »

very nicely done!

That was a ton of work, and it really shows in the finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
  - Sir Winston Churchill

My Wists
ahc
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008 11:21:36 AM »

This is so beautiful!!!  I don't have the patience for hand quilting but when I see a quilt like this it makes me think twice about giving it a shot!  Truly, SO beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EerieNoodles
I may not be perfect, but I'm so close it's almost eerie.

Trust Life!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008 12:48:17 PM »

Wow, your quilt is amazing!
I love the way wholecloth quilts showcase the stitching and design. They seem so tranquil, they remind me of a Japanese rock garden, only... without the rocks and... with fabric instead of sand.

How long did this take you? And you said you did it while watching TV, did you use a frame?

Just beautiful.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_christine
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008 12:55:14 PM »

Um wow.  I was just checking out someone's embroidery of Bob Ross which I had proclaimed to be the awesomest thing I'd seen this week.  However, I now have to have two awesomest things because this quilt is really incredible!  I love that you did amoebas, how cool is that!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008 01:00:34 PM »

Astonishing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
liebschien

"Do or do not - there is no try." - Yoda

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008 01:51:37 PM »

The stitches look even to me. It's gorgeous and IT ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funda62
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008 03:12:56 PM »

Gorgeous, creative, amazing!  Enjoy it because you deserve it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
quilted
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008 03:54:06 PM »

Thank you all for the kind words! Now I want to make a Rock garden quilt Grin

How long did this take you? And you said you did it while watching TV, did you use a frame?

Yup, I used a frame, and I guess I look where I stitch, but then I sort of look at the TV while pulling the thread through... does that make sense? I injure myself a lot  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
Sandytoes
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008 06:36:31 PM »

Beautiful!!  How did you come up with the idea for an amoeba??  You'd do a great job on a rock garden quilt.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Home is where your dog is....
quilted
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008 07:06:01 PM »

Beautiful!!  How did you come up with the idea for an amoeba??  You'd do a great job on a rock garden quilt.  Smiley

Thanks! Truthfully, this is just one of those ways that I doodle during classes/meetings... drawing these abstract circle thingies.

What's a rock garden quilt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008 07:57:44 PM »

Wonderful design ... wholecloth quilts are some of my favourites. I really like the "differentness" of your amoebas! It's neat to see a wholecloth with a unique design rather than the old stand-bys.

When you were handquilting, were you using the "stab stitch" method (where you take a stitch, draw it up all the way the length of the thread, and then take another stitch) or did you use the "rocking" method (where you load 3 or more stitches on the needle by rocking the needle thru the three layers of quilt before pulling the thread thru the quilt)?

When you stab stitch, it is more difficult to get your stitches even and straight. You have to really pay attention to how you are bringing the needle up thru the backing. Stab stitch is good when you are going for a folk-art look, or when taking larger stitches with a thicker thread.

The rocking method is the easiest when trying to acheive small, straight, even stitches. Because you can load multiple stitches on the needle at once, the needle itself will help keep the stitches in an even line. Also, if you use a smaller needle, you can get smaller stitches.

All that crap being said  Grin, I generally use the stab stitch method for most stuff. I've made a couple of "whole cloth" pillows with celtic knot designs that I used the rocking method. I found that when I'm using the rocking method, it helps to practice on something else for around 15 minutes or so, to get the rhythm going before working on your masterpiece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
grammardog
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008 07:42:22 AM »

That is STUNNING!  Beautiful work... I can`t imagine the patience and commitment that required.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quilted
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008 07:50:10 AM »

When you were handquilting, were you using the "stab stitch" method (where you take a stitch, draw it up all the way the length of the thread, and then take another stitch) or did you use the "rocking" method (where you load 3 or more stitches on the needle by rocking the needle thru the three layers of quilt before pulling the thread thru the quilt)?

Yup, I use the rocking method, so I really don't have a good excuse for the uneveness Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

unconstuctive
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008 04:41:08 PM »

Wow, that is so awesome! This is the kind of thing that makes me want to learn to quilt, but at the same time make me realize I will never be able to do what you did Tongue  It's really, really gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008 08:59:12 AM »

Yup, I use the rocking method, so I really don't have a good excuse for the uneveness Smiley

Ah, not true! When I rock and roll, abt every 5th stitch of mine is wonky. You just get to the point saying, "What the *#&k, who cares?" and keep going.

... well, at least I do.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
quilted
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008 09:15:52 AM »

Wow, that is so awesome! This is the kind of thing that makes me want to learn to quilt, but at the same time make me realize I will never be able to do what you did Tongue  It's really, really gorgeous!

Keep in mind that this is only my third hand-quilted quilt... I bet you could do it (even better, prob) if you tried! If you want some advice on how to start, let me know! I have lots of time-saving steps.
Smiley
(*begin brainwashing*)You will learn how to quilt(*end brainwashing*)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheAmarant

I am. I am. I am.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008 11:45:47 AM »

This Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RiverLikeARoad
Specializing in vintage clothing, shoes, and curious ephemera for your adoration.
quilted
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008 11:48:49 AM »

This Rocks!
Thanks! I love your avatar Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cute_anarchy
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008 01:44:18 PM »

Really really amazing and beautiful!  A ton of work, but totally worth it.  Gorgeous colors too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
StephaniePrice
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008 08:30:45 PM »

Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwiztidBlood
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008 11:05:11 AM »

WOW
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
Jen Sews

Formerly known as lukenlarry

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008 09:35:17 AM »

Oh quilted how really beautiful!!!  Are you planning on hand quilting your lap quilt swap squares too?   I am scared (and too impatient) to try hand quilting yet, but I do love whole cloth quilts and have considered it.  Definitely inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seetulane
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008 05:34:35 AM »

Wow Wow Wow.  I someday aspire to this level of amazing.  I just have to say, I recently did a quilt where half of the blocks are blue and quilted with orange  (really bright orange) thread and I had the same issue as you did with the navy.  When you're sitting on the quilt you see the orange lines but when you're about three feet away you just don't see them.  It's a really interesting effect and makes me want to stick my tongue out at all those people who told me I had to match my thread exactly.   But what I really intended to say was WOW.  This is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quilted
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008 06:59:12 AM »

Wow Wow Wow.  I someday aspire to this level of amazing.  I just have to say, I recently did a quilt where half of the blocks are blue and quilted with orange  (really bright orange) thread and I had the same issue as you did with the navy.  When you're sitting on the quilt you see the orange lines but when you're about three feet away you just don't see them.  It's a really interesting effect and makes me want to stick my tongue out at all those people who told me I had to match my thread exactly.   But what I really intended to say was WOW.  This is amazing.

Thanks so much! Have you posted pics of your quilt here? It sounds awesome. I *love* mismatched thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seetulane
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008 02:27:29 PM »

Why yes I have. it is here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=247098.0  In this pic the quilting lines haven't been washed out yet which accounts for the prominence of the lines.  But they are quilted in an orange that matches the backing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_christine
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008 05:26:48 PM »

I keep looking this post up in my bookmarks to admire this quilt - it's so amazing I have to keep coming back to look at it more!  I'd love to see more photos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dr.P.
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008 11:23:56 AM »

Wow! Looks great and thanks for the comments on color thread. I machine quilt on my home machine and recently tried a variagated orange thread (what's up with all the orange references?!). It really only shows up close but I've decided that is one of the pleasures of a quilt. You can enjoy it on so many levels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dr.P.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Distort Filters in Photoshop
Final Cut Pro 6: Two of the same Filters! Why?
Motion 3: Advanced Project Example
Motion 3: Optical Flow Retiming Demo
Motion 3: Learning the Interface
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...