A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 63
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap Rd 11 - discussion  (Read 25555 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RubyTuesday
« Reply #330 on: February 14, 2008 10:38:41 AM »

Woo  Smiley hope you have a great evening Cookies  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008 10:39:27 AM by RubyTuesday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my brown eyed girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #331 on: February 14, 2008 10:45:08 AM »

Yay!!  Have a wonderful time Cookies!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: February 14, 2008 11:10:40 AM »

Aw that's brilliant Cookies! Even if he's just a friend, surely it bodes well that he's asked you out somewhere tonight of all nights? I hope you have a wonderful night! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 14, 2008 11:15:03 AM »

Woohoo!  Congrats Cookie.  I must say, watching a movie in the truck sounds questionable. Lol.  Kiss  Cheesy  

Atsuko-  I certainly haven't tried every brand of bamboo/wood on the market (lol), but from what I have tried, it seems that price is often a reflection of quality, which is something that I usually don't believe for most craft supplies.  Some of the best stuff is improvised, I think! Smiley

I can't remember the name of the needles (unfortunately) as they were chinese and got them at one of our discount stores here (red flag! lol).  I've seen them around, since.  They were poorly sanded or something because there were little catchy bits on them here and there.  I got rid of those.  I got a set which are nice needles but one of the ends is rough/split, perhaps.  Plymoth brand, I think?  I can check when I get home if you'd like.  

I also don't really like the clover ones but that's just a preference not a quality issue--the ends are pretty blunt.

I've ordered a set of the knitpicks birch DPNs because I have a set of the tips in the birch for their interchangeable set and I really really really like them.  Really nice and smooth and really nice pointy tips, and a nice "grip" to them for knitting with slippery/tricky yarns/lace.

I think it really boils down to personal preference in terms on construction (ie blunt/tapered/pointy etc) and then quality.  The Plymouth needles (sp?) which aren't "cheap" needles ($6-8ish a set) may have been a one-of.  If you're at all handy with sandpaper/varnishing, those issues are easily fixed.  I am, unfortunately, not equiped with equipment or technical skill in that regard, I'm afraid. Cheesy

I generally fondle my needles before I buy them to avoid these issues from the get-go.  

Wait, that sounds dirty.... lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain
RubyTuesday
« Reply #334 on: February 14, 2008 11:24:31 AM »

I've heard of try before you buy!! but never fondle   Wink

I know what you mean about blunt needles, When a pattern calls for 5 DPNS I hope it's not my dodgy set! one of my metal sets is made up 4 nice pointy ones and one blunt one!
I have a pair of nice chunky wooden needles that belonged to my grandmother, they seemed quite blunt so I sanded the points  Grin didn't need varnish but i guess it depends on what wood they're made from
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #335 on: February 14, 2008 11:29:23 AM »

Legerdemain, thanks!!  I have some Clover dpns and I like them...but it's the only kind that I've used.   I'll have to check out the knitpicks birch DPNs.  There were a bunch of people making them out of chopsticks.  Does anyone know how those worked out?

I generally fondle my needles before I buy them to avoid these issues from the get-go.  
Wait, that sounds dirty.... lol

Heehee!  And on Valentine's day no less....tsk, tsk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 14, 2008 11:37:13 AM »

The knitpicks ones are really reasonably priced too.  I've ordered a set of six sizes of needles (6 needles per size, one for a spare) in a little plastic envelope case thing for $35.  And if you live in the states, you get free shipping for $50+ orders. 

I'm not affiliated, I swear.  I just really really really like those needles.  *fondle*

Lol.

It's funny ... I find that my taste keeps changing the more expensive stuff that I try.... I used to be satisfied with my second hand boye needles and acrylic yarns, and now I have a yarn date with my gal pal for this sunday to buy luxury sock yarn.  Lol....I know, I know...

I think it might be like wine?  Your palate changes with the expense?  Cheesy  I still knit with my vintage needles and misc acrylics but my heart wanders...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008 11:37:57 AM by Legerdemain - Reason: to not sound like an idiot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

pinkanddinky
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust

Sociologist with scissors

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 14, 2008 11:43:55 AM »

gosh...I want to learn to knit sometime but it sounds so complicated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #338 on: February 14, 2008 11:49:41 AM »

Heehee, I think I can understand about you needing/wanting more high end yarn and needles...I am that way with chocolate.  I started out on Hersheys, but I like Godiva, etc now...but I can still eat Hershey's.   I went the other way with yarn though...started out on wool, was infatuated with Noro, then went crazy over RedHeart for my amigurumis.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 14, 2008 12:02:15 PM »

I'm like that w/ chocolate too....I literally just came back from the grocery store with a 300g bar of milk choc and hazelnut lindor choc bar......  Mmmmmmm.  Cheesy

Lest I be thought of as a yarn snob, I have a lot of acrylics that I like as well...  Just wanted to put that out there.... lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 63 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Hairstyle Toppers For Your Wedding
6 Sizzling Wedding Hair Accessories
9 Knockout Wedding Hairstyles
Get the Best Haircut For Your Face Shape
How to Style Your Hair for a Heart-Shaped Face
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...