A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 63
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap Rd 11 - discussion  (Read 23745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cookies
« Reply #240 on: February 10, 2008 09:34:17 PM »

After seeing LaughingLark's post about weaving...for some reason I felt the need to search the web for pictures people have posted from their visits to this place I used to work...and see if I could find a picture of the antique weaving loom I used to make rugs on.  (And to see if me or my ex-boyfriend happened to be in the background of anyone's pictures...)  And well, after feeling sad and nostalgic (stupid people wouldn't hire me last summer, even though I've worked there for 4 summers!)

Anyway...

Click it to make it big.  I betcha I made the rugs that are still on it.   Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyTuesday
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2008 01:59:12 AM »

Wow cookies that loom looks amazing  Smiley the rug looks great  Smiley I don't know much about weaving, warp, weft and shuttle? are about my limits! even then I'm not sure which is the warp or weft or if I'm spelling them correctly!! but all those bobbins on that board behind the loom you used, are they all used at one time?? and what was the yarn on the shuttle? from the pic it looks like it changes colour?

a couple of summers a go we visited a localish working weaving museum in the cotswolds, unfortunately the looms were not in use that day, the guy working there seemed to be very busy planning  visits of groups of Japanese tourists! I'm hoping that I can manage to go back again one day when the looms are in action  Grin I did buy a lovely grab bag of wool which one day I will turn into a scarf.... or something completely different! Cheesy    and last year I was lucky enough to bag a charity shop find of a throw that had been made at the museum
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Modern Peeps Family by Lana

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2008 02:25:39 AM »

Wow, I love the loomed piece that Owen is making.  Very cool!  I loved the tree that he made as well.  It neat that you can share your crafting memories with your kids LL.  I can't wait till Lana can do some of the things I did as a kid. 

Cool incense holders and felt work ladies!!

Lana has been painting like crazy with my sis this weekend.  She made a very cool abstract kind of piece that looks like lava to me.  I'll have to take a pic and show you all.  Smiley  I've been so unproductive these days that I am tempted to post her stuff in my shop.  LOL.

Happy crafting!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
Live aloha
LaughingLark
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2008 05:25:01 AM »

Cookies, I love that loom. In my dreams, I have a giant, sunny studio/loft-type craft room, with one of those huge looms in one corner. I have wanted to learn to use one of those like forever. When I get rich... Cheesy

Our local school district waited till the last nanosecond to cancel. We have icy stuff over us right now. Looks like today will be another crafting with kids day.

It is looking like the worst of the storm will hit south of the house we live in, but will draw a bead on the three vacant rentals we have in Joplin and another county. Of course, we are mortgaged on all of them. They are all vacant as a result of prior ice storms. The biggest and highest mortgage one was in an area that was without power for well over a week. Our tenants left town to stay with relatives further south while the house was cold, and ended up not coming back.  The same thing happened a month later in Joplin. All the houses are loaded with burst pipes from no heat. We got the water off in time to prevent flooding, but all that has to be fixed. We got trees off of the houses and fixed roofs and power weatherheads, but the rest will wait till spring. I wish we could sell the places, but the market has turned, so we are stuck with them. Hubby bought the rentals to retire on someday. But rentals definitely aren't for everyone. *grumble* Hopefully this latest round won't pull down the new weatherheads.  Roll Eyes Sigh...

I'll craft and try not to think about it.  Wink

There is already enough ice on the roads that I'm not comfortable mailing anything, so I'll stay closed till this storm is past. But I'll hang out here as long as I have internet. Hope everyone is staying warm and safe. What a crazy winter we are having.

Ptarmic, I think I like the idea of a longer school day better than what our district had to do last year. The kidlets had Saturday school in the lovely springtime. That went over like a lead balloon.  Roll Eyes The ice storms last year kept them out for about three weeks total.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2008 06:32:27 AM »

Heh, you should do, Lana could have her own little shop Cheesy

When I did summer school for the tiddlies I always got them to paint a picture of me. I love seeing what they come up with! Grin

Lana has been painting like crazy with my sis this weekend.  She made a very cool abstract kind of piece that looks like lava to me.  I'll have to take a pic and show you all.  Smiley  I've been so unproductive these days that I am tempted to post her stuff in my shop.  LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2008 06:53:10 AM »

I've made up some crocheted/embroidered brooches (they have buttons too!) to put in my shop later today.  They are so cute. 

I just got done photographing them, and I've discovered the neatest trick to taking good brooch pictures.  Usually, when you put a brooch down to photograph it, it tips one way or the other because of the pin back, and ends up looking wonky in the picture.  To solve this,  I stacked two stacks of pennies (in my case, I needed five pennies in each stack) then rested the brooch on the penny stacks, with the pin back in between the penny stacks.  That way it doesn't tip and it looks nice and neat in the pictures!!!  You could put them on any background this way too, although in my case I used a manilla folder -- because I'm at work!  Darn winter light -- the only way I can get decent pictures of things is by bringing them to work to snap during the day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkanddinky
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust

Sociologist with scissors

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 11, 2008 07:30:42 AM »

I've made up some crocheted/embroidered brooches (they have buttons too!) to put in my shop later today.  They are so cute. 

I just got done photographing them, and I've discovered the neatest trick to taking good brooch pictures.  Usually, when you put a brooch down to photograph it, it tips one way or the other because of the pin back, and ends up looking wonky in the picture.  To solve this,  I stacked two stacks of pennies (in my case, I needed five pennies in each stack) then rested the brooch on the penny stacks, with the pin back in between the penny stacks.  That way it doesn't tip and it looks nice and neat in the pictures!!!  You could put them on any background this way too, although in my case I used a manilla folder -- because I'm at work!  Darn winter light -- the only way I can get decent pictures of things is by bringing them to work to snap during the day!

Lol, the things we do for our crafts! I did something similar for the pictures I took of the lightswitch plates because I wanted the screws to be in the picture but of course they stick out about one inch on the back so I had to arrange little stacks of things for them to sit on too. I can't wait to see your brooches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #247 on: February 11, 2008 08:26:18 AM »

That's a great idea, Katxena! If I ever get my beaded brooches done, I'll try that for sure.

Poor kiddos are bouncing off the walls here, and it's too cold and slippery to go outside. I think I might hunt up some funky dance music to get Owen tired. He's too wound up to craft right now. He is quite the dancer, though. 

I'm slowwwwly working on a hat for my oldest boy, and hoping to get my bead projects laid out to work on later. I have an idea for a hibiscus-like pendant of some kind. I'm eager to see if it'll work. I also have flower brooches I want to assemble, if things quiet down around here.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

« Reply #248 on: February 11, 2008 08:37:16 AM »

Cookies, I love that loom. In my dreams, I have a giant, sunny studio/loft-type craft room, with one of those huge looms in one corner. I have wanted to learn to use one of those like forever. When I get rich... Cheesy

I'm trying to clear a corner of our dining room for my floor loom - I haven't had it set up since 1998...

Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Cookies
« Reply #249 on: February 11, 2008 08:43:19 AM »

Yeah, each of those spools on the loom are used.  That board wasn't part of the original loom, it was added later.  It makes it easier to keep it threaded.  You can see when one spool is about to run out, so you just tie the end to a new spool, wrap up the extra, and stick the new spool on the board.

When I first got that job, I had no clue what I was getting into.  I wasn't even crafty yet.  I go into the store I'm supposed to work in, and I have one day of training on the loom with an older Amish lady.  I was like - wtf?  How in the world am I supposed to learn this?!

The colorful part on the shuttle isn't yarn.  We had another person working at the park who would cut long strips of fabric and sew them together.  They would wind the long sewn-together pieces into balls, and each ball would make one rug.  The patterns would vary according to the fabrics chosen.  Cool, huh?

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 63 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Straighten Crooked Photos in Photoshop
How to Remove Tattoos in Photoshop
How to Create a Simple Levitation in Photoshop
How to Create a Tan in Photoshop
How to Add Sound in Adobe After Effects CS3
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...