A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,145
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TSA proofing my crafting  (Read 2802 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artcat81

No Power in the 'Verse can stop me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008 07:30:15 AM »

If all else fails, there is always finger weaving, heck with boards friends on teh flight you could have a human nifty knitting loom.  Think of the possibilities!

or, precut embroidery thread to friendship bracelet lengths and make those little knotted bracelets.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down"   - Malcolm Reynolds- Firefly
"Normal is a failure of Potential" - Eli Stone
Star217
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008 07:45:15 AM »

I've taken needles on international flights without issue. Just get yourself some bamboo circs. I think the TSA views circs as less likely to be used as a weapon because the needle part is considerable shorter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
mollyknits
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008 08:47:06 AM »

I took bamboo needles with me to London (from Newark, NJ) and had no problems at all.  I knit happily the entire way.  If you simply cannot bring needles, how about making some good old-fashioned friendship bracelets.  You can befriend every student in you group! : )  Good luck and have fun in Spain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little.mrs.sunshine
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008 09:02:13 AM »

Could you knit something with cassette tape and pencils?  I agree that your teacher is just trying to avoid being held up when she's got to look after the group - I'd try to clarify whether its just the flight or the whole trip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dr.RubyDoomsday

Life is far too serious to take so seriously

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008 09:16:03 AM »

I've had many a fun expereince with the good folks at airport security. Not with needles, but with my 4 ounce over priced moisturizer that I had to leave in LGA and pick up on the way back and several debates over whether Lip Smackers were considered "liquids."

My advise? Take bamboo not metal, and I agree with the circulars, also you are less likely to acidently jab someone when knitting in close quarters. Stick them in your carry-on, don't make a big deal and only take what is absolutely needed in your carry-on. Shove the rest in the checked luggage.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I learned all my morality from the My Little Pony Movie:

Morning Glory: They need our help, Rosedust!

Rosedust: It's not our fight, Morning Glory.

Megan: Yes it is! It's everyone's fight!

Lickety-Split: Yeah! Everybody has to help everyone else!
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008 09:48:30 AM »

OK, there's lots of good advice here about taking needles on airplanes, and there's a large thread about that very subject around here as well.

However, my advice:  Don't assume that your teacher is just worried about getting your knitting through customs.  Talk to your teacher about it before you decide to take it with you anyway.  Maybe she does have a bias against knitting, however, you should really talk to her about her objections beforehand.  Or talk to your parents.  If this international trip is anything like the ones I took in high school, they can't really disallow you to take anything unless it's contraband, which knitting is not, provided your needles meet the requirements of the airlines and customs.  However, even if that is the case, it may upset her for you to bring your knitting even though she told you not to.  If it were ME (back in the day, I took my crocheting with me on my trip to Germany), I'd talk to my parents about it, and then between you find out exactly what objections your teacher has, and let her know that if her objections are personal, you will, with your parents permission, be taking your knitting anyway. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Knitem

For Narnia, and for Aslan!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008 05:10:24 PM »

I took my size us 8 or 10 metal needles with me to London last year, no problem at all, except my classmates being suprised that i could take them.
I was so glad i had them too, cause our flight got cancled and we rerouted, i had over 12 hours sitting at airports and an 8 hour car ride.  Check with the teacher, cause it has to be just her rule.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008 07:20:59 PM »

Can I suggest that this be integrated with the many many pages of almost endless
 discussion about what may and may not be taken on certain aeroplanes... as a last resort, I suggest getting some fairly short wooden needles - nearly as short as DPNs if necessary - and putting them in a pencil case with a couple of pens and a pencil sharpener? Or wood in your pocket (or inside trouser leg) will not be visible on the X-ray nor set of the metal detector.
I have rarely seen reference to a crochet hook being taken by security, but really, what's wrong with us if we can't go for two plane rides without knitting needles?
Regardless, remember that however wrong and stupid, your things MAY be taken from you, so do not take anything that you are unwilling to lose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amey
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008 05:38:02 PM »

ALso remember to check with Spain and their version of the TSA - you might be able to knit on the trip TO spain, but not on the trip home.

Also, have you tried showing the TSA page to your teacher?  It's easy enough to find over at TSA.gov
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cdngreenie
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008 08:20:22 PM »

I just flew to Mexico and back (returned 1am Sat. morning), stopping in Phoenix en-route, at which point they re-searched all my possessions.  Not only did my circular needles not get caught, but the air stewards all delighted in my knitting.

I don't think it's a problem.  Just bring some big stitch holders with you in case they decide to confiscate things and you want to keep your project.

It annoyed me when knitting was banned because, really, if we can't have knitting needles (or crochet hooks), why are we allowed pens and pencils?  But it would seem all's been rectified (even nail clippers and scissors under 4 inches pass TSA ruling).  I just wouldn't bring a yarn needle with me if I were you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Apples
How to Paint Fabric
How to Paint Tangerines
How to Paint Cherries
How to Paint Lilies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...