A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
743 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TSA proofing my crafting  (Read 2778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JustDontChange
just discovered the joy of alpaca...this could get expensive

uknitted we stand

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2008 04:56:03 PM »

okay, im posting here because i am a knitter in despair...

im leaving for spain with a class trip, and my teacher just basically crapped on my day today by telling me that i cant bring ANY knitting with me on the trip.
NO KNITTING
...well she technically said "no agujas de tejer para Ud."
or something like that, it was so tramatizing ive blocked it out.
a six hour flight, and then several long road trips around spain with a fickle ipod......I NEED HELP!!

my question:
what are some other crafts i might be able to do?
no crochet hooks either, i asked.
it has to be NSA proof...and not too expensive....
but im a knitter at heart....
please help me?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008 06:56:59 AM by JustDontChange » THIS ROCKS   Logged

the glove compartment, is inaccurately named, and everybody knows it. so im proposing, a swift orderly change...
anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008 05:20:09 PM »

what is NSA?

i'm sorry about the no knitting. Sad

and i can't think of any hobby right now that is as fantastically portable as knitting and crochet. bring lots of books
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008 05:25:25 PM »

the NSA allows knitting... they did, at least - i thought they're just picky about needles (i.e. no metal) - is the no knitting your teacher's rule, or theirs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
yellowduckie
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008 05:47:09 PM »

You mean TSA

And they have a web site with some suggestions for allowable needles

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

You might also call the airline and see if they have any suggestions

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thadley

What the hell do you need a pattern for?!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008 06:34:22 PM »

I'm not sure if this is because it's an international flight? The TSA website says knitting needles are ok, I think even the metal ones are ok. I just went on a business trip 2 weeks ago and took my interchangeables, plus metal crochet hooks in my knitting bag. I went through security with them and carried them on the plane without a blink of an eye!!

The TSA regulations are good for all domestic flights, just not sure about international. Good luck, I would be bummed to if I didn't have a handful of things to do on a long flight! You could always take a lot of Dramamine and just 'wake up' in Spain, LOL!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tara, the Craft-Rule-Breaker
"We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again..." The Eagles, Take It Easy
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008 06:51:33 PM »

That's odd - TSA normally allows knitting materials through fine, as long as they're not metal (aka pointy enough to be a weapon) and don't violate any of the other rules about scissors, etc.

However, as my dad always reminds me, (he's a TSA agent), any TSA officer can override policy if he thinks there is a danger to you or others with them.

My bet is the teacher doesn't want to risk getting pulled over/delayed by security, which is a BIG hassle if you're with a group.

I called my dad and he said that if your project isn't on too fine of needles, he tells passengers to put a lifeline through it and bring some pencils or chopsticks or other everyday item through the line with it that can't possibly be construed as a weapon. (Dad's been through well over fourty years of craftiness between me and Mom, so he knows this kind of thing LOL)

Hopefully that helps! When I went to Italy I brought my laptop, some word puzzles, and some coloring supplies (to sketch knitting ideas out with) and watched the onboard movies and got through it fine. If you don't have a laptop, I'd buy or borrow someone's ipod and fill it up!

Good luck and have fun in Spain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
Skellerz
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008 08:16:34 PM »

From what I understand, you can take them on domestic flights, but I'm pretty sure you can't take them on international ones (I've read many a thread about a knitter's work being confiscated at a European airport).
You could use bamboo ones as hairsticks and take them TO Spain with you.
Just don't knit on the plane, they may take them.
If not, bring some colored pencils and knit with those on the trip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
3catnight
big scary American girl

Once again a three-cat night!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008 04:04:51 AM »

TSA does allow knitting needles. I recently took metal interchangeables on an international flight (US -> Iceland -> UK) with no problems at all (except flight attendants insisting I put them away during takeoff & landing). I printed out this brochure and highlighted the "knitting needles are permitted" parts just in case I needed to prove it to someone, but no one asked.

I also once carelessly left some blunt-pointed, plastic-handled scissors in my carry-on during a flight from Hawaii to the mainland, and the screener just looked through my bag and waved me through.

If you want to be really cautious, I suggest bringing plastic interchangeables like Denises - many non-knitters wouldn't even recognize them as "needles" at a glance when they're in the case. Lots of people recommend wooden sock needles too, and socks have the advantage of being nice and portable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atroxsilentium
Stefunny

A walk-in closet full of yarn isn't TOO much...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008 06:05:43 AM »

I've taken my needles on domestic flights no problem.. but international MAY be different.

I would first print out the page from the TSA that says it's allowable to show to your teacher (because if she still says no, there's nothing you can do since you're under her authority) and she might have not known it was ok to bring needles.

Then, are you also checking luggage?  If so, ask if knitting needles are ok right before you actually check your luggage (bring that paper again, just in case) and if they say no way you can carry on (which they shouldn't) just stick your needles and project in your checked luggage.  It'll stink that you can't knit for the flight, but you'll have it the rest of the time.

You'll have to be more cautious on the way back.. not sure what Spain thinks of knitting on planes.. so make sure you know if it can be carried on or if you have to put it in your checked luggage.

Here's the sheet I printed out and carried with me (though I didn't need to use it)

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JustDontChange
just discovered the joy of alpaca...this could get expensive

uknitted we stand

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008 06:56:15 AM »

thank you so much guys!

im kinda frantic because my friend who is going with me is scared of flying
and i need something to do so she doesnt psych me into being scared as well..

i did write to british airways-
so i hope to hear back from them before i actually leave!

im also pretty sure my teacher has a serious bias against knitters....
...shes never getting a scarf for xmas from me....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

the glove compartment, is inaccurately named, and everybody knows it. so im proposing, a swift orderly change...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 2/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 9/10
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 5/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 8/10
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 1/9
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...