A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gothic boudoir, limited space, on a budget  (Read 1513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Claris Hiver
« on: January 31, 2008 04:11:24 PM »

I'm a college student and have picked out a new place. My bedroom is a little small, with limited closet space. I'd like to work to make it a lovely, lush, darkly romantic room to rest, hang out, and work on my creative projects.
I like purple, French stuff, sparklies, satin, and art deco. I suppose if we're going by musical inspiration think Shriekback, Gotan Project, Poe, Rasputina, and October Project.

So far I have the following items:
A vanity, no mirror, needs painting badly, has potential to be majorly awesome
A nightstand, plain black and boxy, would like to dress this one up a bit
A wooden writing desk with chair
A small book shelf
A hanging mesh canopy
Assorted spider and skull decorations, including a spiderweb sconce the holds 7 candles (I've decided I simply must include that one.)
A small purple bedside lamp
Far too many shoes and boots, mostly platforms, and a number of hats

I've got plenty of knicknacks to add, but so far I lack a bed, window treatments, storage ideas, etc. I'd really appreciate some suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
M Fox
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008 11:28:22 PM »

I like Shriekback, too, although I have bought any of their recent stuff, I have 'Old and Gold'.

you've got quite a lot of stuff to choose from!

Try thrift stores for things like a headboard - I wouldn't get a used mattress, though, unless you know who you are getting from, and it's practically new.

Another place to find furniture is auctions.  We've found some fabulous pieces, like a $10 desk!

Check out fabric stores' sale tables for (probably purple) fabric.  And some black lace (not trim, but fabric style) You can overlay the lace over the fabric.

Hopefully that will start you off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nemaihne
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008 07:03:56 PM »

You're vanity doesn't need its own mirror. It will look more Victorian Goth if you just hang a mirror on the wall in back of it. Try hitting salvage places or thrift stores for one and then you can do up the vanity to match what you find. In fact, the salvage yards can be good for both cheap prices and inspiration.
Personally, a mattress is one of the very few things I squick at buying used, but you might find a deal at one of those places where they resell what comes out of hotels.
If you can find cheap fabric, curtains are really really easy to make. If you can't straight seam, for five bucks you can purchase curtain hooks that will clip to fabric so you don't even need to sew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008 06:26:36 PM »

Get some pretty fabric to cover the ugly/ boxy nightstand.  Or decoupage it . . . mod podge is reasonably cheap and you can do zillions of things with it!  Also . . . sconces are good ideas . . . I've seen all sorts of creative ideas for headboards, everything from salvaged architectural pieces to picket fence to a 3-panel room divider.  Or . . . a mirror?  LOL Wink  Uh, if you sew, maybe make some cushions/ pillows with pretty fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
Claris Hiver
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008 12:27:29 PM »

Maybe I should post some photos of what I have to work with later on.
I have located a nice little wall mirror to place above the vanity. I found an old fashioned door, and I'm wondering whether I should make it into a headboard or turn it into a coffee table for the living room. I like the room divider headboard idea, they don't look that hard to build, maybe using fabric for the panels with some purple lights I have from Halloween behind it. Fabric and lights hanging over a piece of chainlink fence? A mirror, maybe with some funky designs painted or etched around the edges, would be pretty cool, too.
The cloth over the nightstand is good. Modge pogde and some patterned tissue paper may be a better idea since the paint job isn't that great. I was thinking of wrapping wire with large decorative beads around the drawer pull.

I found some great sheer purple curtains that would look fantastic with a black lace overlay. My sister has painted some artwork of stuff for me, which I intend to put on the walls.
I want to make some new bedding for the project. I found some neat fabric for inspiration, but I wonder since it's a bit expensive.
http://www.sewmamasew.com/ccp0-prodshow/MGKAPR.html
I'd like to add some unusual details to the bedding, but nothing too distracting. A solid color on the reverse side? A line of lace trim?
As for the bed, I may be able to get one of the old mattresses from my mom's place, but I'm thinking about a platform bed with drawers underneath to save some space, like the one below.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S6TEMG/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I22EXDFOGXSHB1&colid=23KM2RLHK75HA
My brother has said he would assist me in making one, but does anyone have a place where I could find instructions to do so. I know where to find directions for a regular platform bed, but I wonder how adding drawers would affect the construction. Any advice here?

Also, Oil and Gold is an awesome album. I think "Faded Flowers" is one of Shriekback's best songs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tantrum
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008 09:11:01 PM »

I don't know about adding drawers, but you could always use baskets or tubs the same color as the frame, to fit in the space underneath. This seems like a simpler idea unless you are a good carpenter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
Claris Hiver
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008 06:51:14 AM »

Just updating on the progress. I found a bunch of iridescent starry print sheer fabric, which is either purple or turquoise depending on the light. With a property such as that I decided that they must be used with the curtains.
I am discouraged from putting holes in the wall. I figured curtains could be put up with a tension rod, but I wonder about the canopy and wall mirror. How are the 3M wall hooks for hanging stuff like a tulle canopy or a small wall mounted mirror?

I had an idea for a lamp. I really like the shape of the POM juice bottles, and I thought about making a lamp out of one. Painting it, decorating it, using techniques inspired by this tutorial: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-gorgeous-Dragons-Egg/, but I am worried about the plastic melting. Can this be avoided by using a cooler type of bulb such as an LED or should I use the bottles as a mold?
I found an old wooden birdcage at the thrift shop. I had thought of placing this heart shaped potpourri container I have in it, since it will smell nice and look kind of pretty. My other option, as suggested by a friend, is to get the mini plush Cthulhu from my parent's house and put it in the cage, along with a parody of "Hope is the Thing with Feathers" entitled "Despair is the Thing with Tentacles."

I got the purple fabric from my previous post to make the bedding.
Pictured here:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/clarishiver/ebmod19b.jpg
I'm trying to think of ways to ground the design a little. I figure a black border, but I still want a few fancy details. The original inspiration was the Vintage Boutique design from Wake Up Frankie. Picture here, as it no longer seems to be on the site:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/clarishiver/4A181BA876854858BDEB902CFDB2AB14.jpg
However, the bows may push it into being a bit too young. Any suggestions as far as details to make it unusual, but not overly frilly?

I found bed plans with storage underneath. I am glad that floorspace for a larger bed can be had since a dresser will not be necessary. I am debating the bookcase headboard, functional, but not as pretty as I had hoped. Something could be done to dress it up a bit. http://how-to-plans.com/under_bed_storage_frame_headboard_plans.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
M Fox
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008 01:07:31 AM »

I got the purple fabric from my previous post to make the bedding.
Pictured here:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/clarishiver/ebmod19b.jpg
I'm trying to think of ways to ground the design a little. I figure a black border, but I still want a few fancy details. The original inspiration was the Vintage Boutique design from Wake Up Frankie. Picture here, as it no longer seems to be on the site:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/clarishiver/4A181BA876854858BDEB902CFDB2AB14.jpg
However, the bows may push it into being a bit too young. Any suggestions as far as details to make it unusual, but not overly frilly?
Maybe a satin border?  Might not need any additional details, because of the sheen.  Or maybe some sequins, or rhinestone stitched on here and there?  Oh, and instead of bows, maybe some black ribbon roses?

I like "This Big Hush" and "Coelocanth" (sp).  Nice to kind of zone out or meditate to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Research Experience Informs Design Career
How SCAD Alumna Finds First Job and Builds Design Career
Lawrence Nield on the Impact of Skyscrapers
A Guide to Henna Body Art
A Guide to Mehndi Henna Designs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...