A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Far In Advance?  (Read 1643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 30, 2008 02:37:32 PM »

Ladies, hopefully some of you already-marrieds can give me some help on this.  How far in advance can I/should I...

...assemble bouquets of silk daisies (already purchased)?

...make those martha stewart-like tissue paper pom poms?

...address invitation and thank you note envelopes?

...assemble centerpieces from more silk daisies?

thanks in advance for the guidance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008 02:39:39 PM »

I don't see why you have to wait to do any of those.  As long as you have dry, safe places to store everything, you're pretty much clear for take off, right?

...hm...well, maybe wait on addressing thank yous in case someone moves (depending on how far away your wedding is).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008 02:44:48 PM »

heh.  guess that would have been helpful info.  our date's in late august, and i'm glad i've held off at least this long to address things, since many people have moved since we started our guest list, and my FI's aunt just died, which would have been a horrible thing to overlook if i'd put her name on things already  Lips sealed  (not that the minor inconvenience would have been the worst part of her death... but... you know what i mean  Roll Eyes)

also, on the pom poms, do they smoosh down, or can i store them flat somehow?  i don't know that i'll have the space to store however many big ones for seven months.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008 02:45:37 PM by ruby_soho » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008 03:24:30 PM »

I made all my tissue poms in advance. You can make a ton of them and just store them flat. When you make them, they lay flat and folded with the wire around the center, so they travel well too. Allow yourself plenty of time to fluff them out, or give the job to someone who is really gentle and won't rip the tissue.

We took ours from Chicago to Detroit like this, for our second reception:

And I addressed/stamped/embossed all my thank you's before the wedding. It made it so much easier, as we opened presents (in private), we wrote down what the people gave us on the backs of their cards. Then, we zipped those cards out immediately. Everyone commented on how quick we were. But, that was because I had everything done except the note inside before the wedding!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008 03:28:31 PM by *MAR* - Reason: add pic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cellojenn
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008 07:12:49 PM »

My wedding is not to far before yours (a month or less) and i have already started working on my paper flowers and pom poms.  I haven't started on the big pom poms yet but i like what mar said...i will have to do that too (and i also really like the thank you card idea!).  I'm thinking about starting my invitations this weekend.  I think i would just rather have it out of the way Smiley  So all of that to say...now is as good of time as any to start Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008 09:43:23 PM »

Like the previous posters said, as long have you have storage, there's no reason you can't start on the flowers and the poms now.  As for the thank you notes, I agree with waiting till things actually come in to confirm addresses and so forth.  Although I recommend that if you get a gift before the wedding, write the thank you note right away both to be prompt with the note and to save yourself the effort after the wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008 07:19:36 AM »

good ideas, thanks guys!  i think i'll round up the materials for pom poms within a week or so, and gather information on making bouquets... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008 09:49:00 AM »

If you have the time to get the tissue on-line, there is an excellent seller on eBay that offers alot of colours, and you get alot to work with. I bought mine from various dollar stores, and didn't even think of this at the time. Which was dumb, dumb, dumb of me, because I had ordered from the eBay seller for tissue to wrap my stuff at craft markets & shipping orders. ack. But, I had alot on my mind at the time, which I'm sure you do too!

So, if you've got a little lead time, definitely check that out, because I spent more than I had to on my tissue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008 09:52:16 AM »

i do have lots of lead time - do you know the name of the seller you used?

i have scads of silver tissue from michaels' great martha stewart clearance of 2007, but i want to get some red and maybe white, too, so i'd love to get that at a good price, as well. 

thanks, MAR!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MAR*
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008 10:03:12 AM »

There was one eBay seller & one dealer that I used, because one had a colour the other didn't:

http://stores.ebay.com/PRICE-PACKING

and then the other was Nashville Wraps (which you will probably find 20 other things you can use for the wedding, and order all together for better shipping prices)

http://www.nashvillewraps.com/ShowType.ww?Class=016

As always, watch out for some of those tissue vendors on eBay. There are a few that have GREAT prices and colours, but then charge you $50 for shipping! Ridiculous!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Scarf
How to Knit Texture Stitch
How to Crochet Lace on Christmas Balls
How to Felt with Crochet
How to Crochet a Christmas Scarf
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...