A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Yarn substitute for Hot Head Beanie?  (Read 899 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

connie149th
« on: January 13, 2005 01:15:34 AM »

I went to my local yarn store and found out that the shop was out of stock of Lamb's Pride Bulky, so instead I purchased 2 skeins of Patons "Decor" www.patonsyarns.com , its a Medium 4. The shop owner told me if i double up the Patons yarn while knitting, it will be the same as using Lamb's Pride Bulky. Would this be true? I just want to make sure before I start.

By the time I got home, I thought how awkward its going to be (not to mention confusing perhaps) FOR ME to double up the yarn. I wanted to be able to do the beanie the EXACT same way, but now im having to tweak things, and i dont want to make it harder since this will be my first decreasing item to make.

Also, what do you girls think would be a great yarn substitute for this beanie? Any suggestions? I would LOVE to know. Thank you for ALL of your help in advance!  Smiley
-Connie

i would like to add: I wish i could wait for the shipment of Lamb's Pride that she orderedd, but she's won't recieve it for another 4 to 6 WEEKS.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005 01:22:49 AM by Connie-Bo-Bonnie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitkat82
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005 04:00:18 AM »

You could always order it online but I know that isnt the best answer Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamelise
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005 04:45:25 PM »

i'm knitting that same hat right now, and i couldn't find that kind of yarn, or any other bulky yarn i liked. I ended up just using a worsted weight yarn.. it is going to be a bit smaller and 'lacier' but it looks really good so far. it is my first decreasing project too..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms.Snit

I knit therefore I am...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005 09:06:58 PM »

Doubling up yarn is SUPER easy.  All you need to do is hold the edges of both skeins together and knit... that's it.  In no time, you'll forget that you're using two yarns.  If they get twisted together, so what... it may even add a nice little je ne sais quois to your hat.

As for the substitution... well, there are plenty of yarns that can sub for lambs pride bulky.  I mean, there are hundreds of bulky weight yarns being produced to choose from.  All you need to do is find out what the gauge is for the lambs pride and then find a yarn with the same gauge... or use two strands of yarn together (which is what you appear to have decided on)

**mild yarn snobbery to follow**

If anything, my only concern about your yarn choice is the type of yarn you ended up with.  There's nothing wrong with Patons Decor and there's nothing wrong with acryllic yarn, but if I choose to use acryllics, it's usually because they're really soft or have something really special going on  -- or I'm desperately broke.  There is no comparison in quality between the lambs pride and the Decor yarn...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.spunmag.com - Not just knittin' pretty
angelwing75
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005 09:21:30 PM »

Tee hee!  I like your yarn snobbery warning, Ms. Snit. Smiley  I made the Hot Head using Moda Dea Aerie and I didn't have any problems with the sizing of the hat.  I don't have that much experience in "fancy" yarns, and I certainly don't know anything about subbing yarns, but I still have many knitting lessons yet to learn (mostly from the You Should Have Made a Gauge Swatch course of study, I'm sure).  But I sure liked how Aerie feels and it works up so pretty.

Here's mine:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=22486.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005 09:39:31 PM »

Doubling up yarn is SUPER easy.  All you need to do is hold the edges of both skeins together and knit... that's it.  In no time, you'll forget that you're using two yarns.  If they get twisted together, so what... it may even add a nice little je ne sais quois to your hat.

It's true, VERY easy, there's nothing to be afraid of, knit on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photojournalist Lynsey Addario LIVE
Photographer Anne Geddes LIVE
How to Get Perfect Pictures in a Snap
Amazing Place: Manhattan
How To Take The Best Holiday Family Photo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...