A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ultra Femme from SnB Nation - pattern questions  (Read 2213 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GirlMadchen
« on: January 12, 2005 09:57:17 PM »

Has anyone made this sweater? I'm planning on making it as a trans-seasonal thing, starting soon and hopefully finished by the time the weather's a little cooler here. I'll be using Jo Sharp Silk Road Aran in Venetian for the ribbing, and a fine mohair I have on a cone in a similar dark purple shade for the top...

I have a question about the sleeves. I've never knitted anything in the round with sleeves before, and it took me a while to work out that you start the sleeves separately, then knit them on to the body, then keep knitting around above them to form the top of the sweater. Have I got this concept right?

I think there may be an error in the pattern though, because it says, at the end of the "left sleeve" instructions, to place the first 15 st of the (sleeve) round on holder for underarm. THEN, in the "join sleeve to body" instructions, at the end of the paragraph, it repeats this instruction: "place rem 15 sts on holder for underarm." This seems to be a doubling up of an instruction to me - can anyone confirm this? If so, which one do I leave out? (i.e. do I place the FIRST or the LAST 15 st on a holder? Will this be the same for the Right sleeve?)

Also, will there be any curl of the sleeves and neckline of this as it's done in stocking stitch?

Thanks! Any help greatly appreciated!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.redsuedekitten. com

http://redsuedekitten.etsy.com - red suede kitten's etsy shop - for colourful, original felt jewelry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuedekitten - my flickr page - lots of photos of my felt jewelry
debacle
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005 06:10:27 AM »

hey girl madhen, looks like you're right. It looks like there's something wrong with the pattern,'cause you have to put 15 stitches on hold at the underarms to match the 15 sts of the sleeves (these get grafted later), and there are only directions for putting sts on hold 3 times, not 4. i'll get the designer on it and get it clarified
::::edited:::
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005 06:10:14 AM by debacle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlMadchen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005 03:52:35 PM »

Thanks for the clarifications Deb! Glad to know I'm on the right track. Yeah, I'm actually really looking forward to making this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.redsuedekitten. com

http://redsuedekitten.etsy.com - red suede kitten's etsy shop - for colourful, original felt jewelry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuedekitten - my flickr page - lots of photos of my felt jewelry
me_huh
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005 08:05:37 PM »

hey! i'm happy to see that there is actually an error, because i noticed that too but have already gotten through like 2/3 of the sweater... maybe now getting to the sleeves will be much easier once we know the correction....

i am using the jo sharp silk road tweed! (haha. funny we picked similar yarns.) anyway,  i am knitting the whole thing in the same yarn and have found that when i got to the top portion i didn't need to add any of the 73+/- stitches it requires. (i suppose my bust area isn't really in need of it, and the bottom is already comfortably 34" around so that is plenty of room for me) i am making the small size.... so i hope maybe that gives you an idea of the gauge since we are using virtually the same type of yarn. also, when you get to where the yarns change i suggest you take the circular needle out and take its place with some other scrap piece of yarn, (to keep from losing your stitches, of course!) stretch the stitches out on the yarn and try it on, because 144 stitches (or however many stitches you have on there) are really scrunched up tight on a 16" circular needle and it can help you figure how many more (if any) stitches you might need to add for your bust, or if you want the ribbed part to be longer than what the pattern calls for (i did). so yay! i just started on the top portion though, so i don't know if not adding any stitches at all will look right or fit... i hope it does! :p good luck! it is a fun pattern to work on...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005 08:09:11 PM by me_huh » THIS ROCKS   Logged
debacle
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005 08:38:40 PM »

turns out there's no mistake in the pattern - i just wasn't looking far enough back in it.rats

Here's what you do: Under top of body directions, you are knitting a bunch of stitches (about 25% of the round), putting the next however many sts on hold (for underarm on the BODY),then you knit up the sleeve  for a couple of rounds, put the first howevermany stitches on hold for the underarm on the SLEEVE to match the body underarm, and then, with the large stitches holding the body, knit the rest of the sleeve stitches (you are making a giant circle here, the "yoke" of the sweater). then you knit about another 50% of your body round stitches (i think this will be the back), put the *next* however many  BODY sts on hold for the underarm (there's one minor error here: the pattern says to place "rem xx sts" but it should really just say "Following" or "next xx sts". Then you knit up the right sleeve, put the same number of stithces from it on hold for the RIGHT SLEEVE UNDERARM, knit the rest of the sleeve sts onto the body needles, and then knit the last (approx) 25% ofthe stitches, to complete the round.you now have a big, giant round, that includes the body and the outside of the sleeves, and you'll knit this up to the neck. at the end, you go back and graft those underarm bits together. does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abinka
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005 03:29:02 AM »

I really like this sweater but I wonder if I could figure out how to do the whole thing with just the bottom cotton yarn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlMadchen
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005 04:12:27 AM »

Thanks so much for the clarification Debbie  Smiley and also Me_Huh for all that thoughtful info on yarns/pattern sizing etc. Yeah, Jo Sharp makes some lovely yarns, doesn't she? I think the stitch increase with the change in yarn in the pattern is to allow for the change in gauge in the two yarns. The mohair is quite a bit finer than the bottom yarn, and you also switch needle size to a smaller needle at this point. So the small is 34 inches around and you are still below the bust? Wouldn't that be kind of loose? Just curious... I'll be making a medium.

Abinka - I think you'd just keep knitting straight as Me_Huh is planning to do. No increase in stitches or change in needles. The stitch numbers will differ though when you get to reading the top part of the pattern, so you may have to revise your numbers and be careful with sleeve circumference etc. THat's all I can think of...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.redsuedekitten. com

me_huh
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005 12:13:14 PM »

its actually not loose at all because the ribbing allows for a lot of stretching... i think my measurement was taking that into account. also, the way i want to wear it is kind of long, almost to my hips so it needs to be able to fit comfortably over my jeans a little. hahaa. it is so difficult describing these things... hopefully sooner than later i will have it finished and ready to show.

...that makes sense why i needed none of the increases then. i was kinda shocked at how big it was going to end up being had i kept them in- hahah... i would have had to stuff a D size bra if i ever wanted to wear it. i think i would like to try the mohair eventually, but for now i was just kinda eager to start and since it is winter i want to wear it right away when i finish! i think this is a cool pattern because there is lots of comfortable room for variation on a pattern that is really very simple.

oh yes! and thanks a lot Debbie for helping us out on this one!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005 12:16:23 PM by me_huh » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make DIY Beauty Products
How to Do Light Eye Makeup
How to Do Purple Eye Makeup
Summer Beauty Roundup
Stacy Keibler Talks Beauty at Her NewBeauty Cover Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...