A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My body is wonderful-craftalong  (Read 4143 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 29, 2008 03:06:02 PM »

I have been thinking a lot on the subject of body image and how I talk to myself about my body. I am overweight and have a goal weight of about 50lbs less than I weigh now. I am happy that I will get there (eventually).

One of the big problems that I have is that I am very harsh with myself, especially if I feel that I have failed in not exercising or eating too much or whatever crud my brain can drum up to beat myself with on that particular day. Or just simply being mean about my belly or my thighs or whatever.

And I think this negativity about body image and self esteem is pretty common , especially with women, you dont have to be overweight, even really gorgeous women continually think (and say) harsh things about themselves.

So I was thinking how do I work on cherishing and loving my body? especially while in the middle of reshaping it with diet and exercise because it is too easy to see the body as bad, the fat as the enemy and to get even more negative about it. 

I decided to take a part of my body every couple of weeks and craft something (doesn't matter what) to reflect what is good about that part of me, the things that I like about it, the positive things that it does for me.

It doesn't have to be an actual representation of the body part, like say it was feet, I am not planning on drawing or sewing a pair of feet! but I might maybe make a toe ring to ornament them, or do a collage reflecting things like dancing, or maybe sew myself the softest most loving pair of slippers to cherish that part of my body. Or maybe do a photography collage of my feet in lots of different places or activites....!

Am I making sense here? I want to reclaim all the bits of me that I have insulted, neglected and just plain distained. I want to focus on the good bits, not the 'bad' ones and I think crafting is a good way to do it, because it gets past the conscious mind a lot of the time, into the unconscious, where real change happens.

Anyone fancy crafting along? I am thinking of maybe a different body part every week or two and then we can post our projects on here.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008 03:06:24 PM by edel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

instantkarma
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008 03:13:49 PM »

I completely agree. When I went off to college, I gained weight - not from eating too much, but eating cafeteria food in general - and for a while I was really bummed since I ended up with a bit of a tummy.

When I was lying in bed one night, making plans on how I was going to get skinny again, a thought came to me - why am I obsessing over this? I'm not obese. I don't eat a ton of junk food (though I do love sweets...ha...okay, maybe I eat more junk food than I should, but still), and I'm reasonably active. I'm taking care of myself - so what if I gain a little weight? I might look a little pudgy, but at least I'm healthy.

This winter I took a course in Feminist Philosophy, and it basically helped me shift my thinking from accepting who I am to starting to love who I am. I have told myself and my friends that I am trying to now develop a positive body image and to remain healthy instead of trying to just "accept" or even dislike myself.

*ahem* That having been said (ain't you proud of me? Cheesy), I do get what you're saying and I would love to be a part of a craftalong about body image. Forgive me, I've never actually *been* in a craftalong, so I don't know exactly what we'd be making (I know it's a bunch of people crafting...along...but not much more than that), but if it's something I feel I can undertake, then I definitely would. I'd love to make items that bring out the positives about my tummy, my hips, my nose, my eyebrows (long story)...the list goes on.

You have a great idea here, and I'm bookmarking this thread. I'll be lurking to see what becomes of it.

Hugs! Smiley <3
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008 03:14:59 PM by instantkarma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008 03:24:08 PM »

It is an interesting balance isnt it, that feeling that the rest of the world should accept us as we are, why should I loose weight. Of course the answer for me is really nothing to do with the rest of the world. I have realised that that is a smokescreen for not doing something about it. The rest of the world will have to accept me for who I am, regardless of size.

But (and its a big one Wink) the real truth is that carrying extra weight has an impact on things like my self-image, my health, how much exercise I am inclined to do, the clothes that I can carry off. all that stuff. The world fundamentally doesn't give a damn if I am 50lbs or 500lbs, but for me, for my health and my view of myself I need to care.

The other thing i have realised that being stuck in that state of refusing to even accept that its my problem not the worlds, is that making poor food choices (and I hear you about crap cafeteria food!) and not being active are not acts of self-love or self-care. But for me, they are acts of hostility to my body.

And it is so time to change that. But I totally get about the obsessing thing, so I figured that maybe if I am going to obsess, why not obsess about the ways in which I like me and how I can express that creatively.

A craftalong is just people working on the same stuff, or same theme at the same time and posting the results. No rules and no pressure, people can dip in and out where they please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

instantkarma
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008 03:28:22 PM »

And it is so time to change that. But I totally get about the obsessing thing, so I figured that maybe if I am going to obsess, why not obsess about the ways in which I like me and how I can express that creatively.

That's a good way to think right there. Cheesy I think this is a great idea for a craftalong, no matter your reasons for doing it. I'd be in if it gets off the ground.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008 02:22:25 AM »

Edel I hear what your saying about body image, although I have not had major issuses with weight I know of others who have a trick that I read about lately while I was reading the book called "The Secret" was to get an image how how you WANT to look and pin it up say in your bathroom, Now STOP thinking fat( I hate that word) thoughts or losing weight thoughts and think thin thoughts( easier said than done)
I rearranged my thinking so that instead of saying" god my thighs are large when will they ever lose weight"
To saying "Wow my thighs looks awesome thinning down and toning up the way they are"
it helps with the way you look at yourself too, as in instead of looking in the mirror and being critical look and admire how the body is toning up and the muscle under the fat layer is building apon itself to burn away the fat, remember that as you build muscle you burn fat even when resting and the best way to burn fat and build muscle is to do cardio for 30-50 mins 2-3 times a week, walking cycleing I don't mean you want to die cause your heart is pounding away, but you are sweating because your heart rate is up.

ok now I got right away from what I was going to say, ignore me if you feel I am talking rubbish, that is just my opion and something I took from my gym trainer.....

however lately I have been seeing body shapes, in particular certain parts of the body in rock formation at our local beach I look and think wow that would make an awesome photo and I snap shots of it.....

sorry to ramble if I offend anyone I am sorry it was not my intent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008 06:17:49 AM »

thanks Tanza you are absolutely correct the action of visualising where I want to get to is a fundamental part of what this craftalong is about in that; its moving toward something positive rather than focusing on the negative. Crucial for sucess.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008 09:27:39 AM »

i made plaster belly casts while i was pregnant, one from shoulder to thigh, 2 of just the belly, and one larger than usual pregnant breast.
 without the magic of amelia living in there, it wasn't very motivating, to work with my body as a subject. i hadn't really considered why, it certainly is pretty magical in it's own right...anyway, i want to do this craft along!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008 04:59:21 AM »

OK then its time to get this ball rolling

I'm thinking of a body part every two weeks or so and its Monday so here goes, in this order (ish)

Belly! (the most difficult one for me so the one I need to do the most!)

Thighs

Breasts

Ass

Arms

Hands

Feet

Hair

Face

I can't wait to see what other people come up with.

its all about the love!! Cherishing the bits of our body that we usually are so harsh about. So feel free to work on a different body part if that is your own personal bete noir.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008 06:14:42 AM »

That sounds like a great idea (both the craftalong, and the belt)!  I really need to work on my self-acceptance.  My grandmother was a constant dieter, and my mom rebelled by not ever dieting (except for health reasons).  I'm kind of up the middle, but I'm trying to diet for better health, not just eating "diet" food that's low in calories (like those 100 calorie packs of junk food). Hopefully, eating healthy foods will not only help me to lose the extra weight I'm dragging around with me, but teach my children that it's important to eat healthfully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008 06:53:05 AM »

Kookaloo_Starr if the belt is a reflection of the good things you see about your belly then I think you are on the right track, if its in the spirit of 'I don't like you so go away, or at least get smaller' then no.

I have to say that I really really dont like my belly, after giving birth to two kids its covered in stretch marks and manages to be both floppy and fat at the same time (I know I am multi-talented) So its important for me to give it some love, to learn to accept it (even while dieting) and to discover for me all the things that are good about it and do some craft that reflects that. I sense that in the craft work the unconscious will come through and perhaps some healing and acceptance will happen.

I spend all my time figuring out stuff, time to take a new approach.

But I so know how  you feel about loosing the craft mojo. I am definitely running low in the mojo tank
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Quick Remedy For Hair Static, from Katia Beauchamp
How To Keep Your Lipstick On All Day,from Katia Beauchamp
Tips To A Healthy Glow In The Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
How to Get Catwalk-Inspired Autumn Glitter Makeup
How to Rock Vampy Dark Eyes and Lips Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...