A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patchwork dress/Aprontop sewalong?  (Read 4686 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peachpirate
Scissor Pirate and Paper Fastener Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2008 03:05:59 PM »

Okay okay, so I made it to a few Grateful Dead shows. I miss the parking lot fashion!
I am desperate for a sunny, sweet, patchy dress or apron/babydoll patchwork top to get me out of a winter funk.
Does anyone have a pattern or tute? Does anyone want to play along?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetiepickles

mmmm crunchy crispy pickles

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008 04:59:57 AM »

I'd love to try a good apron dress!  Grin
but I don't have any patterns in mind. Mccalls 4648 pinafore dress is the closest pattern I know of off hand
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peachpirate
Scissor Pirate and Paper Fastener Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008 05:46:07 AM »

I'd love to try a good apron dress!  Grin
but I don't have any patterns in mind. Mccalls 4648 pinafore dress is the closest pattern I know of off hand

Ooh, that looks cool. I am collecting fabric for this endeavor.... I want something to wear the first warm day-ha ha- I may be finished with this project by the time it is warm! (it is -6F here today!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mangomerle
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008 11:40:23 AM »

Oooh! I would totally be game for this sewalong! I've been meaning to make myself a few of those for months and months, but I've just never gotten around to it. Mostly I think because I'm too accustomed to working from an actual published paper pattern and all. But I've gotten better about adapting things and working from descriptions in the past few months.

I realize you first posted this last month, but there didn't seem to be many replies and it's only been a couple of weeks since then. Are you still interested?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008 11:45:47 AM by mangomerle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eilleen
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008 03:33:11 AM »

I don't have a pattern but I made an apron top and showed it in my blog.  Its really easy to make (well mine is anyway). This is my blog post about it: http://consumption-rebellion.blogspot.com/2008/01/my-apron-top.html

Its just a rectangle piece of fabric, really. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008 11:27:48 AM »

I'd like to make one too.  Eilleens top is nice and looks very easy, but I think I'd like a slightly more fitted version.  Perhaps adding darts, princes seams or even just side seams to the top part would do the trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mushter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008 08:59:22 PM »

I'd love to do a sew along.  I love making patchwork clothes.  I made a tut a few years ago here:  http://www.theelektron.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2

The link isn't working right now but I'll have my hubby take a look at it tomorrow.  I hope it helps.  Here's what the dress looks like http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=92679.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weezawear.etsy.com: Baby, toddler, hippie style clothes and baby carriers designed and sewn by me.
mangomerle
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008 09:39:45 AM »

OK so, even if no one else decides to continue with this I am doing it. I found the most terrific red fabric to use (from an old friend's vintage 80s fuzzy drapes  Grin). It's a little fuzzy on one side with a short nap to it and I think it will look great with some a simple applique either on the bottom on one side or center of the bodice.

I am making it for my roommate because I want to make it more of a fitted bodice and I have a really hard time doing that for myself with patterns I have never used or items I have never made before. We're hippies at heart and even though we both work upscale customer service jobs, we have our own hippie-ish wardrobes for every day. She also belly dances and was trying to figure out how to make something similar to one of these tops a couple months ago so I think she'd wear it for performing this summer as well as just around town depending upon what kind of embellishments (if any) I ultimately decide to add.

I have cut out all the pieces already but I won't have any pictures until my boyfriend comes to visit and, hopefully, explains to me just how to use the webcam thing my computer came with. Hurrah for computer geek boyfriends (I'd be pretty lost without mine occasionally Roll Eyes)! So hopefully some time in the next week or so I will have pics of this work in progress. Unless I finish it before I learn how to work my technology, then all you'll get is pics of the fabric and the finished garment.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008 07:43:02 AM »

I bought a pattern for this, *believe it or not* and have a cute piece of robin egg blue with red, green and yellow dots.

http://www.burdafashion.com/en/Patterns/Main_Collection/7907_Top_Dress/1270778-1128998-1003251-1449950.html

Click on the black shirt to the left and underneath of the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008 10:04:28 AM »

i definately want to participate but i dont think i can start for a little bit. i have to finished a commissioned knit sweater (1/2 sweater really)  but that should be done within a few days....

but i will return!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Glare from Glass in Photoshop
Photoshop Color Correction for 3D Artists
How to Detect Software Bugs in VRay
How to Change a Color Element to Black in Photoshop
How to Create Gradient Text in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...