A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk swap goodies  (Read 26088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008 02:03:11 PM »

Wow,I love the hat,poppet,and the necklace-they're all amazing! So many cool things in the gallery.I think we've all been spoiled this swap.This has been so much fun.Man,whatever did I do before I discovered Craftster and swaps?

Thanks for the kind words on the mobile and raygun-I was nervous because this was the first time I tried to make 2 big special things,as opposed to several small.Gleep,I'm sorry it's starting to leak,I'll pm you in a minute.Mzgorightry and Lmcbride,I'd be happy to share how I made them.Organizers,should I post that here,or just pm them?

Hope one of these days we have a round two!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
mzgorightry
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008 02:25:42 PM »

I got my package today, and it is INCREDIBLE! tsubomi_chan spoiled me right back, and I can't stop grinning like a loon. I don't want to hog the gallery, so I'll post pictures of the crafts here, and there's much more (including action shots) on my blog. Suffice it to say that I am wildly happy, and have been dancing around the house all day, and thank you, thank you, thank you, tsubomi_chan! I got a package of Pez and some mint chocolate fudge, which have been devoured, and a very nice note! The packaging was beautiful, too - some cute drawings on the outside, and brown paper and green tissue paper inside. So, the crafts!
Girl Genius paper dolls:

A trinket box:

With a necklace inside:

A mirror with a watch image somehow transferred onto it (and, tsubomi_chan, you must tell me how you made this, it's such a cool technique):

And the awesomest aviator cap:

I am totally spoiled, and now I'm going to return to dancing around the house and playing "Dashing Aviatrix!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Harvey
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Here's to inappropriate!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008 05:34:38 PM »

Everything is so cool. I was so tempted to make an aviator cap, I have the pattern and everything. The poppet won out thought.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments. The hat is actually one of those felt/velvet covered plastic dolls hats you can get from a craft shop. I hot glued the feathers I found and a resin heart with a gear in the middle to the side. I sewed a comb underneath to hold it on and then glued a piece of black elastic around the base to hide the stitching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cigarettesandvalentines
Red ships of Spain!

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008 06:49:31 PM »

love the cap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Someone has to go back and get a shitload of dimes."

Personal Swaps? Love 'em! Drop me a PM

etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/historystuffed

http://hamiltonsstupidhat.blogspot.com/
tsubomi_chan

No place I can't be

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008 07:02:54 PM »

About the mirror- I had originally wanted to try my hand at metal etching, but well, I'm known to be accident prone so my family wouldn't let me play with chemicals and batteries in their garage  Tongue
After looking up a bunch of different methods for image transferring, I decided to experiment with that on something. One of the ones I saw was heat transfer. Just use a craft iron on just about anything to transfer a photo-copied image. Well, I don't have a craft iron, but I DO have a clothes iron, and I had some photocopies from using the acetate-transfer method I saw on craftster.

Long story short, I carefully ironed the design onto the mirror using my iron on a medium setting with a towel in between the mirror+image and the iron,just like an iron on. Keep ironing until the image has completely melted onto the surface. Then just carefully peal the paper off of the item you transfered to. I had to soak the mirror for a bit for the paper to completely dissolve, then rubbed the few stray bits off with a toothbrush. The site I found it on used this method for just about anything- fabric, metal, wood, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mzgorightry
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008 07:50:57 PM »

Oh cool! That's very similar to the first steps for metal etching, which started me thinking about transferring images onto metal, but I didn't realize it would work for mirrors/glass, too. Sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoyousBohemian
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008 08:16:10 PM »

bookstorebabe, go ahead and post here--I'm sure others would like to hear how you did it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my hand-dyed fiber!
portfiber.etsy.com
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008 09:14:14 PM »

Okay! Started with a  spice jar.First part was the handle.Cut a long piece of plastic from a Stax potatochip cannister ,wrapped around jar-and a little cardboard inbetween,under the glass.Rubber band holding handle together below barrel,glue under the plastic on the glass.Wrapped scrap cotton material around handle,wrapped old bias tape around cotton.Covered with lots of white elmers glue and tissue paper,wrapped string around,little more tissue and glue-so several layers over a few days built up the handle.Many layers of paint over it.Another curved piece of black plastic cut into triangle,glued on top.Round piece at the back is half a plastic easter egg,glued in place,painted silver.The black straps are narrow strips of leather from an old belt.Used Pritt power gel glue for most of the gun.I have long pieces of plastic coated wire,saved from various packaging-used that wire as clamps to hold the leather strips in place until the glue dried.That was a lifesaver-best clamps ever!Glued a blue flat glass marble on for a trigger.A brass candlestick from Goodwill is glued onto the lid of the jar.A litle black paint and gold glitter is painted on top of the glass.The top piece is-a mini glowstick.The tip is from a ball point pen.That's protruding from the snap off plastic from another spice jar-you know,take of the lid,there's a plastic lid full of holes over the jar?A bit of sharpened pencil is glued inside the ink pen tip on one end,the other end inside a blue plastic pencil gripper,connecting it to glowstick.Had a lovely curved spring for the other end,some wire is holding the spring to the barrell of the gun.I should have used my virulent green aloe vera gel instead of blue Crest health rinse,or used hot glue instead of the Pritt power gel to glue the cap on the jar-it's leaking a bit.I swear it lay flat for days here and never leaked! Lots of glue,gold mixed with a little bronze paint,black paint touching up leather& covering glue,ect,silver paint for easter egg,and top nozzle,painted inside of candlestick gold.Glued on lion medallion.Just lots of time,glue,stuff from my stash-only thing I bought for this was goodwill candlesticks.I was inspired by rayguns on the crafts page of the Instructables site.

Mobile is a large embroidery hoop,painted blue.Brown cardboard between 2 parts of hoop to make it a big gear.The downloaded dirigibles from Girl Genius! Couldn't afford to laminate.I cut them out with extra white space around them,used tiny bit of doublestick tape to attach to a comic backing board.Had shrink plastic from window draft kit.Covered with plastic,taped on back,used hair dryer to shrink tight.Put string between front & back pieces,lots of tacky glue spread to the edge,wrapped plastic wrap around it in case of oozeage,put under heavy books.The moter was a work freebie from a display-we had two,and I rescued them from the trash.Uses a D battery.Moter case thankfully had a hole in each side.strung with copper wire to hoop.Wire,glue,hold battery case to moter,blue plastic coated electrical wire holds moter & case together,and also makes loop to hang.Front & back of ship glued/wired to either side of battery to hide the mess.
Sorry such a long post! I tried to make it short as possible,ask please if any steps unclear.And now at work they know to save moters for me.Today I brought home gizmo of 3 flashing led lights,powered by 3 AAA's.I'll think of something...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
gleep
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2008 08:05:16 AM »

I think what I'm going to do is lay in a layer of hot glue all the way around the edges that are dissolving, and paint over with latex paint, then seal with something and see how it goes. I'm loath to try and partially disassemble it in hopes of stopping the leaking. So far it's only the front of the barrel that's leaking a bit, not the back, but I'll reinforce that, as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avril222
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2008 08:38:40 AM »

wow beautiful apron, etching, and hair clip, mzgorightry.
so exciting. i love the aviator cap and mirror, tsubomi! what phenomenal crafts so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nicholas A. Christakis and James H. Fowler Talk About Connected
Tiki Barber Talks About Tiki
George Hamilton Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Meet Author Jodi Picoult
Lisa Lutz Reveals Her Motto
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...