A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stores with free stuff  (Read 13915 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ohimskrewed
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007 10:54:32 PM »

there's always http://craigslist.org!

and if you live in hawaii (more specifically the island of oahu) you should visit the free store at the art building (next to the office) on the UH Manoa campus.  website for that http://www.nomoola.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gwydion
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007 04:46:08 AM »

Cigar shops usually have more empty boxes than they know what to do with (some are really well-made varnished boxes with clasps, too!)  If you ask really nicely, most shops will let you have your pick of the boxes.

If you have Craigslist or freecycle in your area, check it frequently.  A lot of people around here post a "curb alert" on Craigslist when they're putting out unwanted but still-usable stuff.

Also, if you or a friend work for a smaller business, they will often give away old office furnishings or electronics.  (My husband's work will often pitch out a computer or printer rather than fix it--and sometimes it's an easy fix!)  The sewing school up the street from me occasionally gives away used sewing machine tables-- needing a little paint or new hinges, but in good shape overall.  And lots of offices close or relocate and get rid of shelving/pegboards and file cabinets--perfect homes for your craft supplies.

If you go in a store or business and they look like they're remodeling, it doesn't hurt to ask about interesting bits of debris--they might be happy NOT to have to haul it to the dump. Do ask before rummaging, though.

I recommend going armed with homemade cookies.  Smiley  Very few people can resist chocolate chips plus a polite freecycler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Suriah
"I would love to talk dirty to you in bed...

....with perfect grammar, of course"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007 12:12:33 PM »

As an addition to the movie theater idea I used to work at Barnes &  Noble and we would get posters for books and music and also some cardboard cutouts.  If you just ask someone they will stick your name and number on the back of it and call you when it comes down.  I got my cardboard Orlando Bloom when Lord of the Rings movies were out, but a friend got to the life-sized one first /sigh. 
Also, bookstores have an agreement with publishers so that when a book has been sitting around too long and it is cheaper not to have the book sent back we have to "strip" the book of its cover and then throw the books away.  People who work there can get free ones but we are not allowed (by contract) to give the books away to anyone- so don't borther asking.  BUT if you don't mind 'dumpster diving' go out the trash and open all the boxes in the dumpster.  You will find all sorts of mass market paper backs, fiction, sci-fi, mystery and romance novels. My favorite time was when we stripped the old travel books, they come out each year so around the new year we would throw out all the previous year and replace them... I have lots of travel guides for all over Cheesy  This idea works best if you have a friend working there who will grab you books, but if you are SUBTLE and go out to the trash you can score too Cheesy 
Also, this all applies to magazines!! Weekly ones will go out every week (duh Cheesy)  as the new ones come in, they are boxed up (without covers) and thrown away.  Just please don't be greedy and get bookstores in trouble!! It would probably be easier to just grab a bunch of filled boxes and then go through them at home Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Suri~

"When vegetarians grow up, they become vegans"

"Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, "I've lost my electron." "The other says, "Are you sure?" The first replies, "Yes, I'm positive..."
yaxbooty
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007 07:35:46 AM »

I didn't notice if anyone posted this -- doesn't mean it didn't happen, I forgot my glasses today!

I have let upholstery shops know I would like their scraps.  The best is when they give you the old sample books. I love those.  I have the best luck in funky areas of towns I have lived in as far as cool fabric.  I have the best luck as far as willingness in the suburban areas.

Once in Broad Ripple in Indianapolis, I left with 5 big black garbage bags of the best scraps ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolacat
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007 07:57:52 AM »

frame shops are a great place to get free scraps.  i have a friend who has her own shop.  she lets me dig through her scrap bins whenever i want.  matte and foam board make good asseblage surfaces, especially for ATCs.  and the matte board comes in a ton of different colors and textures.  i also get frame and glass scraps.  a small beveling tool smoothes the edges of the glass perfectly for small ornaments and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
biggreenfeet

the extroverted intovert

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007 07:31:30 AM »

Along with Craigslist there is also FREECYCLE.ORG Freecycle is an amazing site and you can sign up for a yahoo group in your area. The point is too keep things from going in the trash- and it is all free. You can also list stuff you don't want anymore. A wide variety of stuff is given away all the time, and it is REALLY worthwhile!

Pearl Artist and Craft
supply will probably give you scrap plexi if you ask real nice. The Altamonte (FL) location isn't very fond of giving away boxes, but you can always ask.

JoAnn Fabrics throws a lot of stuff away if you feel like dumpster diving there. When all of the seasonal stuff "disappears" it goes straight to the trash, so for all you dumpster divers out there- go have fun!

I know Home Depot/Lowes will give out their old wallpaper samples, but most of the time they will ask you to leave your phone # and they never get back to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't want a pickle. Just wanna' ride my motor-cickle.
anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007 10:17:25 PM »

I don't know if this is on topic or not?But in the news they are warning women especially.That if you answer ads in Freecycle or Craigslist to take someone with you.Never go alone to answer any ads!A women that was 25-30 (I forgot which) went to answer a ad for a nanny.The ad was posted by a 18 yr. old who obviously didn't need a nanny.They found her body 24 hours later.So I know there maybe some people here that may use these sites.Just thought I'd give a little knowledge so no one will have a family tragedy. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
Chanel
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2007 06:14:09 PM »

I don't know if it is at all Lowe's but I was at our local one today and they have wallpaper samples behind the doors where the display samples are. They let me have as many pieces as I wanted. I got 26 different sample pieces, each one large enough to make a decorative envelope and have scraps left over for decoupage or covering books or scrapbooking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TotallyToTheT
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011 05:22:10 PM »

We have several local colleges and universities.  At one, when the kids go home for the summer all of their left behind stuff is gathered up and you can come and take away as much as you can carry.  Jeans for jean rugs, fabric scraps from the theatre students, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dinozaur
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012 06:57:28 AM »

To anyone in the Baltimore area you should know and frequent the Book Thing (A free book store, take as many books as you like) and the Baltimore Free Store (They are only open every couple months). There are some amazing treasures to be found at both of these places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 13/13
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 12/13
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 4/4
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 4/9
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 6/9
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...