A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stores with free stuff  (Read 14017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xohilzroxox
« on: January 12, 2005 07:32:09 PM »

i was wondering if any of you knew of any stores that give away free stuff// such as fabric scraps and little extras//

thanks a ton

ciao

<3<3<3 hilary eXc danielle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005 03:00:36 PM »

i was wondering if any of you knew of any stores that give away free stuff// such as fabric scraps and little extras//

As an official policy, it's rare.  I've come across a couple of secondhand bookstores that had free sections--one place was damaged books open to anyone to take as many as they liked, the other was perfectly good books and you could get one if you spent over $10. 

A lot of places give away things unofficially.  I used to work at a one hour photo center, and we would give out film canisters to anyone who asked.  We would also give away the AA batteries taken from disposable cameras to employees and occasional other people.  Just about every store will give away boxes if you ask.  I've known or heard of other freebies like scrap wood from a furniture manufacturer, scrap fabric from upholstery places, outdated promotional things like posters, and so on.  You have to be willing to ask, of course, and exercising basic courtesy when asking makes it more likely you'll get a yes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
tawnisw
Productivity is the key to wisdom.

Experiment, Practice, Learn, Teach (& sell often)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005 06:45:44 PM »

Small or local thrift stores sometimes have "freebox"es.  Same thing goes at garage sales, things that people don't see potential in themselves may have super value in your own personal crafts and add so much individuality!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams

www.tawnismoon.etsy.com

Stop by my website and tell me what you think by signing the guestbook!
GeekMagnet
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005 10:32:32 PM »

here's a big one no one thinks of- movie posters.  non-chain or small movie rental and theatres give them out to whoever will take them.  i live in campus housing and ra's every year go around and get free posters to use as decorations, granted they are usually b movies and left overs but the backs are white and their heavy paper.  good for paper crafts and wrapping paper. and sometimes theyll even have the cardboard cutout displays.

AOL cds- they're everywhere.
My neighbor was a nurse and would always bring home all these medicine bottle caps, in all sizes and colors, they looked like buttons.  they were great to glue on things.  but i have no idea how to go about getting any

ummm...i think thats all i got...oh, for those into dumpster diving- pay attention to college campuses school schedules bc college students tend to throw away things rather than haul them with them- especially wood lofts and beat up furniture, which is always great for refinishing and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
adultramblings
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005 11:45:27 AM »

the traveler's inn restaurant in CT (I forget what town, but, traveling south from MA, it's the very first exit off of 395.  You can very clearly see the restaurant from the highway & there are signs) give you free books when you eat there - a book per customer.  They also have a nice selection of used books for cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomickiss

i'm so old school, i'm preschool...werd

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005 04:54:22 AM »

if you go into an Ikea store and go into the "as-is" section, they will give you all the broken glass you could ask for! It's even divided up into catagories such as mirror pieces, dishes, and clear/ frosted glass. Just ask! they let you take as much as you want!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

how can you not like muffins? www.muffinfilms.com and come to think of it, www.makingfiends.com.
bea-bea
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005 06:03:45 AM »

I go to tailor shops that custom make men's suits and ask them for their old fabric swatch books.  The fabric is great (mostly wool suiting material) and since they're all pretty much the same size, they're great for patchworking, among other things. Bridal shops would probably have fabric remnants but I haven't tapped any yet.

Law firms throw out hadbound books, great for altering books, on a regular basis. Many books are superceded by new volumes annually and the old ones just go into the trash. I think a good hard bound volume would make a great purse, there's a tute here somewhere on that.

Like geekmagnet said, campuses are great especially around this time of the year, when everyone is going home.  I'm lucky to live close to a medical school -they have nicer stuff than undergrads and, especially in the case of furniture, they don't seem to use their stuff much. Guess they're never home.

I like using free stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kahluagal
kahluagal

Whatcha wanna know? If you have questions, ask ;)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005 04:48:50 PM »

It's not a store and it's located in San Francisco (of course!) but the Really Really Free Market happens once a month in Dolores Park.  I've literally walked out of there with bags of amazing stuff.  It would be nice if it was a monthly event all over the place Smiley
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010 11:02:49 AM by pixieval - Reason: fixed link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<<insert signature line full of witty and inspiring quotes here >>
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005 06:36:48 PM »

Paint stores usually give away discontinued wallpaper books, the usually have fabric swatches in them to. d
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005 06:38:32 PM by d » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
douglasa
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005 10:00:45 PM »

I got a giant bag of remnants from a local upholstery place.  many pieces are too small to be useful but I also got some great large pieces.  I made an awesome patchwork hippie tubetop with some of them.  Definetly consider checkin it out.
Ashley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
---Albert Einstein
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chinese Food FAQ
How to Make a Chinese Food Meal Plan
Common Chinese Food Raw Sauces and Ingredients
How to Cut Chicken Meat into Strips and Triangle Shapes
Learn Chinese Food Cutting and Preparation Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...