A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass marble & polymer clay picture pendants (Image Heavy!)  (Read 1675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bettyxbrown
« on: January 29, 2008 01:27:32 AM »

So I just cranked out a ton of these.  They're flat glass marble beads with a variety of images, wrapped in fimo/sculpey, with embedded metal pins.  Your 2 cents more than welcome, since I'm fairly new to the jewelry game...

(Oh, and they're about an inch and a half wide, you can't really tell out of context)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008 01:28:51 AM by bettyxbrown » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fugsly
Living Dead Girl

Living Dead Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008 01:57:21 AM »

They're brilliant! Love em. Yet another thing to do with fimo Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dkany

go Vegan/for the Animals

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008 03:21:19 AM »

These are AWESOME!! How did you do the clay did you back the clay with the marble and picture all together?  I love this!! I used flat metal pendant mounts with my plastic cabochons (picture below)   I love the clay much better!! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

the jenya

Ink is my perfume.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008 06:35:54 AM »

I love them! Did you use any glue for the images or just applied the fimo and then baked pictures and hooks in? They are fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Library

Your revolution will not happen between these thighs.
mixi
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008 07:02:29 AM »

and i have always wondered how i was gonna get my glass marbles on a necklace....
here in brazil we dont have these metal thingie-ma-wingies and i simply LOVE your solution!  i'm also curious as to how you made it without cracking the marble...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkladymajesta
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008 07:13:33 AM »

I love this idea! I made a few marble pendants and had no idea what to do with them. Thank you for reminding me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008 07:50:45 AM »

I like the idea very much, and I'm especially impressed with how well you've matched ribbon to clay in some cases!

I was thinking about doing this but I was worried that the picturesmight scorch in the oven. The clay is baked at too low a temperature to actually set the paper alight, I believe (or to cause the marbles to crack, mixi, as long as you let them cool slowly and don't use the drop-them-in-ice-water method to cool them Cheesy) but I think it could still scorch and change the colours if you haven't got a heatproof ink. Do you have a trick for avoiding this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessvict
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008 08:14:07 AM »

beautiful!! I'm going to try this. You could also use leftover cane work to cover the backs too. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bettyxbrown
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008 10:24:57 AM »

talyra is right--the clay is baked at such low temperatures and short intervals that you're not in danger of scorching or cracking at all--you can even bake them in the toaster oven!

heck, i even used comic book pages, which are practically like tissue paper!  i think the clay even acts to insulate the paper to a degree.

i use a glue stick to affix the papers to the glass before i apply the clay, but it's just temporary and lightly applied, since they clay is what really anchors it.

i don't really have any tips for the applications of clay, since it's pretty basic--just refined technique.

i imagine another good way of making picture pendants (if you didn't want to try clay) would be wire-wrapping?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smile its craft time
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008 05:47:35 PM »

I need help! I tried this and the glue came from under the marble and made a big ol mess.  Also, I just bought some of the studio sculpty.  The directions say to bake @ 275 for 30 minutes.  I did that but I was able to bend the clay.  This is my first time using the clay.  Is supposed to get rock hard or just kinda hard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn secret and special seasoning sauce for Chinese food
Chinese food elements - fon and choy plus yin and yang
Make very basic seasoning, special Chinese sauce and food
Stir fry and Blanching - Chinese Cooking Techniques
How to Make Seared Duck Breast - Food Done Right
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...