A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Softening yarn?  (Read 3267 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreadlochness
hooks for hands.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2008 12:01:04 AM »

This might be a dumb question.  If it is, I'm sorry!

I was wondering if there was a way to "soften" yarn that has been crocheted.  I'm making a pillow that I want to do some color change work on, and I don't want to use a fuzzy yarn so that you can clearly see the picture I'm trying to make.  However, it's a pillow, so I don't want the yarn to be all stiff.  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foreversandals
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008 06:40:07 AM »

If its already made, a quick wash [according to the yarn's instructions] will soften it up.
Otherwise, there are definitely soft yarns out there that are soft to begin with but aren't fuzzy.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008 06:40:37 AM by foreversandals » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008 07:19:23 AM »

This might be a dumb question.  If it is, I'm sorry!

I was wondering if there was a way to "soften" yarn that has been crocheted.  I'm making a pillow that I want to do some color change work on, and I don't want to use a fuzzy yarn so that you can clearly see the picture I'm trying to make.  However, it's a pillow, so I don't want the yarn to be all stiff.  Any suggestions?
I'm going to assume you are using red heart becasue this is the only yarn I know of that people try to soften.
From what I understand Most people wash the yarn on the gentle cycle with fabric softener and then dry with a dryer sheet. Make sure to dry on low as this yarn is acrylic and can melt on high heat.

For future I'd recomend using any plain acrylic yarn. Some brands to look for are Simply Soft by Caron, Softee Chunky By Bernat, Wool-ease by lion brand, etc.
TLC has a yarn called I LOVE this Yarn, and there's Vanna's choice now too that many people like.
Stick with a worsted to chunky weight yarn and you should be able to work up close to gauge or right on with your patterns.
Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreadlochness
hooks for hands.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008 08:49:03 AM »

It's actually Lion Brand Cotton Ease, which is a cotton/acrylic blend.  I think I'll try washing and drying on a test square and see if that does what I want it to.  Thanks for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008 09:32:57 AM »

It's actually Lion Brand Cotton Ease, which is a cotton/acrylic blend.  I think I'll try washing and drying on a test square and see if that does what I want it to.  Thanks for the advice!
AH! It should soften up a bit when washed then. It may not shrink or anything like that but it should soften up a bit. Smiley Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Toilet Seat Covers Are The New Blotting Sheets?
These Beauty Basics Will Keep You Looking Young For A Long Time
How to Make DIY Sunscreen Lotion Bars
Insanely Eye-Catching Nail Art You Can Pull Off in Just 3 Steps
How to Contour for Long, Lean Faces
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...