A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,350
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cloth Diaper Covers  (Read 8705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mahkev
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008 08:02:25 PM »

cute fabrics!  I am due in June and started sewing my own fitted's and AIO's but I havent made any covers for the fitted's yet. I'm having so much fun sewing my own, its much easier than I thought! and I love all the fun different fabrics you can use.. Im addicted now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leesah
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008 09:30:11 PM »

Thank you everyone!!!!  All the encouragement helps Cheesy  I was planning on using sposies until the meconium was gone and then start with the cloth.  Hopefully I won't want to switch back to sposies, they are so expensive, take up way too much space in our garbage and are bad for the environment.  I'm also a very stubborn person so I'm sure I won't switch back Smiley 

As for a pattern.  I used this for the pattern: http://www.geocities.com/rew4birth/Diapers.html  ... after cutting out I just did what I wanted.  I used polyester blend fabric for the pretty prints, and then I used polyester ribbon to bind.. haha.. I know! lol  I sewed on the elastic first, the strip of velcro in front, then the ribbon, and then the velcro tabs. Oh and course that thin layer or polyurethane inside.  I really need to get some PUL though. 
I know some people don't like the idea of using PUL, but I'm scared to NOT use it LOL  Just give me time to try all the different cloth diapers, I gotta figure it all out on my own Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cocomoo
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008 10:48:38 PM »

you can just put that on the baby in the summer and she's set for the day cuz its so cute and stylish
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008 12:06:04 AM »

Hey! I would suggest, for the meconium stages, using up old towels or daddy's t-shirts... you can just toss those out! That way you are not putting all that plastic into the environment, nor are you supporting those companies that do, AND you would be reusing items that you might have to toss anyway!!!

I CD's both of my babies, and I think these are great. You will need lots more!!! Smiley Make sure all your cloth is tucked in (I think someone else mentioned this), it seems that leaks happen when the wet gets 'wicked' out not actually leaked out. Don't forget that wool is a natural moisture barrier too. Smiley
Happy Baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
mamafen
Yarn, it's not just for grannies anymore.

Scotch: It's breakfast.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008 01:30:21 AM »

I'm due in a week and a half and I'll be cloth diapering also Smiley

I wanted to make a TON of these, but we had to buy a crib so no sewing machine for me until this summer when our budget allows Sad

For the first few weeks we'll be recycling old t shirts and the like and then after that we'll be using prefolds/pocket diapers until we can afford the sewing machine and serger I

I love yours though, they're adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I could buy the world a coke, then I would say "SCREW YOU WORLD" and go buy more fabric.

http://wists.com/mamafen
http://buttonsandbrimstone.blogspot.com/
starrrdust143

Mmm...caloric intake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008 06:21:37 AM »

I have really been wanting to try my hand at this.  But have been intimidated with making my own pattern for them.  But yours looks SOOOO awesome that I may just go for it!  And congrats on the baby!  Being a child of February myself, I can totally understand the cons (ahem, freaking winter storm every year the week on my birth, what's with that?!).  And then there's the whole holiday/birthday combo gift possibilty, which is a gip as a child.  But then again, when I was in the home stretch of pregnancy, I thought the sooner the better.  So good luck and blessings with which ever date she choses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashionable frocks and vogue vintage  for the modish misses http://www.AvaAmin.etsy.com

Come be my friend!
http://www.myspace.com/avaamin
Nuno930
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008 08:16:56 AM »

I am so excited to see how many families cloth now! It does a heart good!!! When my daughter was born (just 5 years ago!) it was still very much a "weird" thing and I would get nasty comments and such all the time.  I have noticed this time with my son it is much more acceptable and mainstream.  YAY!!

All that said... LOVE the covers.  Great job.  Personally I would avoid pinning.  I've done it but, blah.  I usually just fold and lay them in the the wrap. OR I have some snappi's that are so easy!  Good luck with it all!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jatoha
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008 08:40:09 AM »

I am so excited to see how many families cloth now! It does a heart good!!! When my daughter was born (just 5 years ago!) it was still very much a "weird" thing and I would get nasty comments and such all the time.  I have noticed this time with my son it is much more acceptable and mainstream.  YAY!!

At my baby shower, I had an aunt & cousins that went in together and bought a diaper Genie. 

(I dont quite 'get' the diaper genie, i guess it individually wraps each disposable diaper so they don't stink?? It seems to make disposables even MORE wasteful in my mind.)

Anyway, I said to them, "oh, you guys must have forgotten that I'm going to use cloth."  My aunt's response, "oh, we know there's no way you'll stick with cloth diapers and so, you're gonna need this!"

Can you believe it?  I returned it to Target and bought some diaper covers.  Three babies later I was still using cloth---SO THERE, Aunt poopy-head!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nuno930
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008 08:50:34 AM »

Sadly, yeah I can believe it... I had several comments like that  Undecided MIL would buy me disposables all.the.time because "they had the stuff in them to help prevent diaper rash"  Ummm yeah, also known as chemicals, thanks. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Licer

Leg warmers are my friend.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008 09:17:30 AM »

Yet another CD momma! I was a little nervous about using cloth diapers on my girl but they have been awesome! Now I see disposables and think they look gross! You have made beautiful covers! I made a few diapers but ended up buying Fuzzi bunz. Another pro about CD's is that kids usually potty train quicker because they do feel the wettness a little more as oppossed to chemcal filled disp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips for Taking Care of Your Hair This Winter
Top 7 Hair Myths
Top Hair Trends of 2013
How to Do a Braided Updo for Curly Hair
How to Get an Updo for Christmas
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...