A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Backpack and Needle Case - Great Uses for Upholstery Fabrics!  (Read 936 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ErikaW
Craft Whooore

'She who dies with the most fabric wins'

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2008 12:17:03 AM »

I made these two last Christmas and forgot to document them, so here are a few pics of the finished products.  I got the fabric for both the needle case and the knitting backpack bag from a remnants pile of upholstery fabric at one of the fabric places out here (Hart's fabrics, I think).  In any case, I finally taught myself some basic knitting last winter and got all excited and crazy obsessed, so much that I needed a large bag to carry around the several projects I had going at once, with a pattern book, needles and such.  I was traveling a lot with my last job and found this backpack idea to work really well for passing the time while in airport terminals and very easy/ergonomic to carry around. 

The 'backpack' bag is simply a bag sewn up the center of one side and I added matching tassel trim at the bottom for a bit of flair.  The straps are made from strips of the same fabric that are folded lengthwise and sewn down the middle and then attached at the open bottom before sewing up and at the top corners with a crossover pattern.  If you lift the straps up so that your arms go in below where they cross, it fits very nicely and balances out the weight.  I suppose you could also put a flap on the top to keep stuff from falling out, but I never had that problem even when it was always full and I was scurrying around from place to place.

The needle case is made from similar fabric with a different pattern and is simply hemmed on all four edges.  I then used an old piece of plastic that I tore out of one of those really large cases that sheet sets and comforters are sold in.  The edges of that were also pretty easy to sew on - I sewed it at the halfway mark across the middle and on the edges (in the shape of an "H") with some margin of fabric outside the edges of the plastic.  Then I sewed a few channels of varied widths going from the center to the top and to the bottom.  Make sure you leave some extra room for the channels when sewing down the sides of the "H" or you won't be able to get anything into them.  There is also an antique silver button and braided elastic cord near the top so that you can attach the needle case to one of the straps on the knitting backpack to keep them together. 

Both designs are very primitive but super easy and very effective in keeping me organized.  As always, I'd love to get your feedback and suggestions for future revs.  Thanks for looking folks!
-Erika

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008 12:58:12 AM by ErikaW » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lover and doer of all things sewing, jewelry-making (beaded, wire-wrapping, Fimo/Sculpey), animal figurines, soaps, candles, herbal eye pillows and other spa-type thingies
hughsie
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008 01:36:26 AM »

This is such a useful bag-you get so much into there and it's incredibly organised-and at the same time it's really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sausage at Home
Buttermilk Corn Bread
Bacon Wrapped Blue Cheese Meatloaf
New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice
New Orleans Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...