A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Troll Doll Style Eyeglass Case  (Read 8934 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ErikaW
Craft Whooore

'She who dies with the most fabric wins'

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2008 10:32:12 PM »

I am always throwing my glasses into my purse when I don’t have a case handy and they are pretty scratched up, so I decided to make a fun case to use to break this bad habit.  I also wanted to try using my old industrial Singer and do something with leather.  My inspiration came from the Monster Bags (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=220893.0 and http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=45906.msg416290#msg416290).  

I’ve done a couple of projects with a monster theme now and I can’t get the cure little dudes out of my head.  I decided to include a short tute for those who want to use/improve as needed and to share some of the things I learned about trying to take on a different type of machine with such a small project using difficult and stretchy materials and tight curves.

I hope you enjoy - thanks for looking and please let me know what you think!
-Erika

http://www.wyckoffdata.com/pics/eyecase/completed.jpg

http://www.wyckoffdata.com/pics/eyecase/front.jpg

http://www.wyckoffdata.com/pics/eyecase/open.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tutorial for Monster Eyeglass Case

1.   Cut out shape below on tissue paper (bottom edge is 6.5 inches, vertical edge is 7.5 inches, and distance from top edge to height of rounded peak is approx. 2 inches)

http://www.wyckoffdata.com/pics/eyecase/pattern.JPG

2.   Cut one each of outer material (I used a soft leather) and lining (I used short hair pink fur).  Trim the inner layer approx. 1/8 narrower on all edges than outer layer.
3.   Take outer layer and fold up bottom edge to within ¼ inch of top of vertical side, right sides together, and stitch both sides with 1/8 inch seam allowance.
4.   Repeat with inner layer, but use ¼ inch seam allowance.  Trim seams closely on both layers.  Both case layers should be inside out.
5.   Hand sew on male part of small snap to right side of inner layer fabric centered and about 1” from edge of monster lip curve.
6.   Use open are to turn one of the case layers right side out now and place the two case layers right sides together.  
7.   Sew along straight front edge of case and up along curves (approx. where red Xs are located).  Leave open between red Xs.  

http://www.wyckoffdata.com/pics/eyecase/patternclosed.jpg

8.   Trim seams closely and turn layers into finished orientation (right side of outer layer is facing out and right side of inner layer is inside outer layer).
9.   Now fold monster face down over top and press snap head into fabric to make a faint mark where the other snap part will be sewed on.  Sew on other snap part (female) onto right side of outer layer (should sit approx. ¾ inch down from edge of case).
10.   Take a needle and thread and sew a couple of stitches through both layers to tack the lower corners of inner layer down to the lower corners of outer layer.
11.   Top stitch a very narrow (1/8 inch) around top edge and curves up to red Xs.
12.   Fold case in half to make a slight crease in the center of outer layer and attach eyes approx. ¾ inch from lip edge.  The closer together you put the eyes, the goofier and cuter the monster ends up looking – if you have the googly eyes that move, that works even better.  I used simple shank buttons from JoAnns that look like eyeballs (see below).

http://www.wyckoffdata.com/pics/eyecase/eyes.jpg

13.   Now comes the *fun* part!  Take a needle and thread and baste along the open edge of the monster lip curves for outer layer and repeat with second thread for the inner layer.  Pull both threads enough to gather to make lips “curl inward” slightly.  Tie both threads at ends to hold curled shape.  If you are using normal fabric, you can simply press the shapes down at this point.  If you use leather for one of the layers, squeeze shape tightly between fingers or put a weight down on the lips to force the leather to hold the curled shape.
14.   Cut two fangs out of white “foamies” craft foam (1 inch long and  1/ 2 inch wide) and place fangs in between curled-in outer and inner monster lip layers.
15.   Top stitch narrow edge slowly around curled-in monster lips to attach fangs and close open section of case.

http://www.wyckoffdata.com/pics/eyecase/fangcloseup.jpg

16.   Cut out strip of long fake fur of contrasting color for eyebrows (I used lime green)  approx. 3 inches by ½ inch.  Slip stitch top edge to bottom edge lengthwise to create a “tube” of fur.  Tack one edge down to the right of the right eyeball through both case layers.  Tack the other end down to the left of the left eyeball through both layers.  Tack center down just above center front between two eyeballs.  Make two more tacks – one above the right eye and one above the left eye.  I was lazy – you can obviously make more stitches to make it more secure, but I don’t typically thrash my eyeglass cases around, so I didn’t.

LESSONS LEARNED:
A.   This was my first project with leather and I found that my old 1927 Industrial Singer blew right through it like butter, but the lighter the leather, the more stretch typically, so plan on some headaches with seam rippling unless you have a machine that can handle leather and differential feed.
B.   In retrospect, it was rather retarded of me to stitch the two case layers together along the easy straight-aways and leave the edge finishing for the most difficult curves…I actually ended up having to slip stitch the lip layers closed because the machine was so tough to slow down around the curves and the leather stretched all over the place (notice crappy-looking hand stitches in close-up above).  I would suggest stitching curved in layers separately and then stitching together, so that edges can’t escape.  The fangs were tough to attach in the typical manner since the edge of the fang was curved to match the lip curve – any suggestions on a better approach would be most welcomed.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011 02:38:24 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lover and doer of all things sewing, jewelry-making (beaded, wire-wrapping, Fimo/Sculpey), animal figurines, soaps, candles, herbal eye pillows and other spa-type thingies
narhloki
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008 10:51:50 PM »

I totally love this, I looked at the picks, blinked a couple of times and burst out laughing.

It's wonderful!!

I think I'd think twice before reaching into that mouth for my glasses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ErikaW
Craft Whooore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008 11:08:01 PM »

Awesome, but sorry about the tiny pics - I'm going back to hosting the images on our home website - I seem to get bizarre results using the craftster hosted process.  Oh well - I'll enlarge so the closeups are better - his face is my favorite part - he looks abslutely insane and keeps me smiling.  You can actually wave the case back and forth violently and see his hair flopping back and forth.  Smiley  Thanks for the feedback!
-Erika

MODIFIED POST:  I reposted used our website to host the pics - should be viewable now!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008 11:19:27 PM by ErikaW » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lover and doer of all things sewing, jewelry-making (beaded, wire-wrapping, Fimo/Sculpey), animal figurines, soaps, candles, herbal eye pillows and other spa-type thingies
beingdomestic
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008 11:25:45 PM »

Ah, how cute!  And a tutorial too, what a treat!  I love it.  With this, I now know my glasses can rest easy.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008 04:18:42 AM by jMi - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster Guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

narhloki
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008 11:26:25 PM »

Awesome, the pics are much bigger now, he looks great!

You're totally right it's the insanity you've captured perfectly with this case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008 11:27:42 PM »

OMG he is so fun!  I'd let him gobble up my glasses anyday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
Maajo
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008 12:36:08 AM »

Oh no!  Grin  I want one too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runningwolf

Loving mother nature <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008 12:44:52 AM »

I absolutely LOVE THIS!!! It looks so cool when you open the case; Like your opening the mouth! *RAAHH* The materials rock. Thank you for posting up your work and the tutorial as well Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ErikaW
Craft Whooore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008 12:53:09 AM »

Thanks everyone - you guys are awesome!  Please post yours here if you feel so inspired to do one or a similar idea - would love to see what kind of brainstorming this could lead to.  Smiley
-Erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008 01:25:25 AM »

This is so fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Fried Potatoes
How to make Pork Ribs in a Dutch Oven
How to make Meatloaf
How to make Southern Fried Chicken
How to make Creole Gumbo
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...