A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
795 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quilt for my son  (Read 6157 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 27, 2008 08:24:33 PM »

There is a long story behind this quilt, but the very short version is that our youngest son, 9 1/2, has autism and has become increasingly violent and unsafe at home. Since April of 2007, he has been inpatient at psychiatric hospitals 5 times, only one of which was less than 2 weeks.

This Thursday, he will be admitted to a residential facility 1 1/2 hours from our home. This has been a difficult and painful decision, but ultimately, it is what is best for him and our 11 3/4 y/o.

Needless to say, we're all feeling pretty useless, so I decided to have friends, family, classmates, church and anyone else who wanted to decorate an 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" block with fabric markers. I initially cut out over 50, and within 24 hours I needed to run to the fabric store to buy more...

My Grandmother is a lifelong quilter - she's probably made hundreds of hand-quilted quilts and even more smaller lap blankets and baby quilts. She, my grandfather, my mother and our other son spent at least 12 hours over the course of Saturday and Sunday assembling the blocks, the back, machine quilting and hand finishing the binding.

My mom left one blank square in the family row for my husband, active duty Coast Guard, to fill-in when he gets back from the last Aleutian Island (7000 miles away)...

We're all very excited that this is finished - he picked out several of the materials from the back - the baseballs and pirates are my nephews favorite things, the money and airplanes are his. The town fabric has the look of New England - since he was born on Cape Cod, one of my friends and I spent a good hour or more selecting individual scenes from the fabric - the favorite is the one of the town square - there is a church next to a flag - I'm a minister and my husband is military... There are 2 strips of autism awareness fabric on the back and the police fabric is because my brother is a cop! The two red and gold squares on the front are from a dear quilter friend in lieu of drawn squares - she lives several hours away.

In the midst of the emotional chaos, it's wonderful to have something tangible to do...

Some of the quilt squares...

The finished front of the quilt

The finished back of the quilt

Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
narhloki
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008 08:33:38 PM »

What a lovely quilt for your son to have with him while he is away.

Such a great thought, and so sweet that so many people participated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runningwolf

Loving mother nature <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008 08:36:30 PM »

Wow such a wonderful story! Best wishes to your son! Your family's quilt has great meaning behind it indeed and will certainly be enjoyed for years to come. When I was in Elementary we did something very similar to this. Each child in the school did a square and it was all sewn together as a quilt like this one. Then it was hung in a hall-way for students, parents, visitors to see. I just admire all the hard work taken place. A job well done Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlehajerika
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008 08:36:56 PM »

This is so beautiful. I don't really know what to say except you and your family must be so strong! You are in my prayers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beccacc
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008 08:39:33 PM »

thats such an amazing thing to do, it looks magnificant and would be so comforting. great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out paperstache.etsy.co m for papercrafts, cards, illustrations, prints, custom orders, etc!
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

This Shall Be For Music

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008 08:45:17 PM »

Selkie, what a wonderful way to let your son that he is thought of and with all of you always.  What all of you did together is nothing short of amazing.  I've recently organized a kids' photo card for our boss who was in a coma and it took alot of planning and is no where on the scale of this.  This quilt is so beautiful and shows so much love and kindness.  I am in awe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
Legerdemain

knitting is dreamy....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008 08:50:18 PM »

Selkie, that is simply lovely.  It's just perfect.  You and your family are in my thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop14!

Wist

Ravelry ID: Legerdemain
Tanzie
I've got love for the chat hoes...anyone else need not apply!

"Ich warte auf dich-am Ende der nacht"

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008 09:07:37 PM »

i am about to cry after reading all of that...this is really an amazing work of art,and my heart goes out to you and your family right now  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a burning image in her mind and between her thighs...

I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND TAKE YOUR CRAFT SUPPLIES!DON'T #$%@ WITH ME!

half moon shawl crochetalong...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=235034.0

stalk me....
http://www.wists.com/Tanzie
bella_domanie
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008 09:12:06 PM »

That is awsome and a really good idea.  I hope everything works out for you and your son is very lucky to get this from you and everyone who helped out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarySweet
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008 09:19:19 PM »

((((((selkie, hugs to you and your family))))))

The quilt is lovely and so thoughtful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gloss Products Review
What to do With Thinning Hair
Beauty Hair Tips
Managing Curly Hair
Styling Lotion
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...