A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fleece Puppy toys?  (Read 494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 27, 2008 12:49:02 PM »

I can't seem to find a thread on this (though I am jacked up on caffeine right now and that could be affecting my ability to find the info I need).

I am making a set of stuffies for my SIL's cockapoo and was wondering if polar fleece was okay on the outside or if I should use a different, more sturdy material?

Any insight would be great.

Also- where can I find the squeakers for inside the toys?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
kylanicole

A little punk rock, a little Martha Stewart.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008 09:53:27 PM »

I've worked with polar fleece a lot, and found it to be quite sturdy.  My mom has a cocker, and I wouldn't have a problem making something from polar fleece for her =]

I'm not sure where to buy the squeakers themselves (I know I have seen some online, but it was years ago)....however, a friend of mine just informed me that the big chain petstores have all their holiday toys on a really amazing sale right now.  If you can't find the squeakers, you could probably go buy a toy for a couple dollars, and take the squeaker out of it =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~:*KylaNicole*:~
Listen carefully to first criticisms made of your work.  Note just what it is about your work that critics don't like - then cultivate it.  That's the only part of your work that's individual and worth keeping. ~Jean Cocteau
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008 01:48:46 AM »

I've worked with polar fleece a lot, and found it to be quite sturdy.  My mom has a cocker, and I wouldn't have a problem making something from polar fleece for her =]

I'm not sure where to buy the squeakers themselves (I know I have seen some online, but it was years ago)....however, a friend of mine just informed me that the big chain petstores have all their holiday toys on a really amazing sale right now.  If you can't find the squeakers, you could probably go buy a toy for a couple dollars, and take the squeaker out of it =]
Good to know about the fleece! Thanks!
Also, found the squeakers at DogToys.com Pretty inexpensive also. Smiley They came out to be less than $1 each.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JillBoBill
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008 06:37:43 AM »

Sometimes you can find replacement squeakers at pet stores. Call around to some PetCo's in the area (except not PetSmart 'cause .... Well, 'cause my fiance husband doesn't work for them and I'm biased) and ask if they have them. You might even try some bigger Wal-Fart's - the ones that have the big dog section. They're out there, though.

I'm not sure about Cockers, but I HAVE heard that Poodles are great at chewing things to bits. Tiny puppies can't do much damage (teething puppies can, though), but bigger dogs - especially ones left on their own a lot - can do serious damage to toys. If you're not sure, or if you've EVER heard that the dog 'nibbled' anything, please be careful what you give them. I wouldn't use eyes or noses (the plastic ones), I'd definitely reinforce/double my stitches and I'd absolutely avoid fleece.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing (?), but it just doesn't sound strong enough to me. I know a lot of commercial dog toys are made out of that sheep-fleece stuff, but .... Well, the quicker your lovely pup chews it open and spreads the fluff all over your living room (and takes a nap in the remains 'cause puppies are so damned charming - ♥!), the quicker you're going to go out and buy a new one, right?

Anyhow, the point is that I'd be really picky what I give them. Make sure it's ultra tough and stitched with ultra tough thread --- if they bust it open when no one's looking and eat the fluff inside, it can seriously mess up their tummies.

I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008 03:43:21 PM »

So far she hasn't killed her fleece porcupine.... yet...

Yeah, there will be no "pieces" to it (no metal or plastic, except the squeaker is plastic). Just sewn. Wink I will mega-reinforce that sucker!

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JillBoBill
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008 05:55:06 AM »

No problem!

I re-read my post and I sound all bossy, sorry! I just love the pups - I'd be super bummed if something bad happened to them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008 07:59:31 PM »

It's all good. Wink
I have a heavy, canvas-like material, some jean and some corduroy I think I will use to make them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Valerie Fitzgerald Talks About Heart and Sold
Meet Author Omar Tyree
Meet Author Paul Byrd
The Pop-Up Yellow Square Book Trailer
21 Nights Book Trailer Short Version
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...