A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anybody going to the Knitters Convention in Columbus, june 11-14?  (Read 3743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

superhooker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2008 10:31:25 AM »

Hey everybody.  I'm going to the Knitters Convention in June...I'm from Michigan, so I don't know anyone/anything in/about Columbus...  Is anybody else planning to go? 

Its at the Columbus Convention Center...They are having classes with some pretty freaking awesome knitters there too...  I can't wait!

I know this is not particularly crafty, but does anybody have any suggestions for a cheap, but still fab hotel to stay in near the convention center?  Any help would rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008 10:53:25 AM »

Aww, I'm in Columbus, but I'll be in Boston that weekend for the Craftster Mod Meetup.

Here's a link for anyone else interested http://www.knittersconnection.com/

What's price range (per night) would you like for a hotel?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
superhooker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008 04:36:25 PM »

In general, as cheap as possible, whilst still being rat/mold/hair/creepiness free   Grin  I'm not technically supposed to be spending any money this year, but when I found a knitting event that was actually pretty close, I couldn't help it.  It seems there's quite a bit going on in Columbus that weekend, so we're going to make it our mini vacation for the year...Wed--Sunday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008 05:32:08 PM »

Cheesy!

Oh!  I found this page on the convention's site http://www.knittersconnection.com/html/staying_there.htm  If you mention Knitters Connection you get a special rate.  It would have been my first suggestion because it's so darned close.

Here are some others based on distance from the center.  Most of them are really well known names/chains, so you can probably guesstimate the price.  Red Roof Inn is probably a fairly inexpensive option for you http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=hotels&near=501+North+High+Street,+Columbus,+Ohio,USA+43215&sll=39.973922,-83.002884&sspn=0.011708,0.015879&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=0

What other plans do you have for the weekend?  Short North is packed full of galleries and fun little indie shops...grrrreat for shopping.  Not that you will be spending any money. Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superhooker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008 06:53:06 PM »

I looked at the "Experience Columbus" website, and it says there is a Rose Festival, and something called "Juneteenth Celebration" that weekend.  Also there's a bunch of live music stuff, and a boat pond where you can sail boats, I thought my son would like that.  I'll have to check out Short North  (would that be on a map?)  we love lurking at little shops.

Thanks for the list of hotels!  I'll check them out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008 07:11:54 PM »

Short North is a pretty big area.  I don't think it's on the map specifically, but if you search "Short North Columbus" lots of business with Short North in their title will come up.  It's the art district of Columbus.

It starts right next to the Convention Center (on the same road) -- literally, you pull out of the Convention Center, turn right and that's where it starts.  There are big archways that say "Short North" through the entire neighborhood.  You can't miss it.

Here's the site for the whole area http://www.shortnorth.org/

(I sound like a Columbus tour guide! Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmeliaB555
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008 04:51:22 PM »

Hi all!

I'm going to the Knitter's Connection this summer for vacation.  I'm so excited since this will be my first knitting convention.  It is held in Columbus on June 11-14th.

Is anyone going or have you been?

http://www.knittersconnection.com for details.

Amelia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come see my Etsy Store!

www.ameliadesign.etsy.com

Or my blog!

www.ameliab.blogspot.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008 05:29:00 PM »

Merging similar topics!  Looks like at least two of you are goin! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmeliaB555
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008 12:49:53 PM »

Yay someone else is going!!!!!  I'll convo you later.  About hotels the Hampton where the convention had a deal going is completely booked that weekend (I called).   Undecided  Our family is going on our "big" vacation that weekend and I got to plan the whole thing.  Here's what I planned (if you want more details about any of these things just ask) Grin:

1.  Free outdoor concert at Easton Center (a big HUGE outdoor mall).

2.  Rose Festival on Saturday. Free

3.  Butterfly exhibit and gardens at the conservatory.  I think it was $7 dollars for adults/ $5 for kids (If you get a Cosi membership though you get coupons with your purchase)

4.  Sweet Vintage Clothing stores. Free  Wink

5.  Cosi.  This depends on your membership/if you want to see the Imax or special exhibits. 

6.  Zoo/Aquarium $12 adults, can't remember kids cost.  But if you have a membership to other zoos/museums you can get a deal (we get in for half price).

7.  Mozart's Cafe

8.  We might hit Polaris too on the way in.   Wink

9.  Santa Maria Tour (a tour of the exact replica of Columbus's Santa Maria in the river) I think $4 adults and $3 for kids.

I'm not going to the Festival you mention it is an African American celebration (not that this is a bad thing just thought I'd let you know in case that didn't interest you). 

Oh and we are staying at the Hyatt Regency which is connected to the CC.  It is a bit pricey but not to bad depending on what room you get.  Also you can get breakfast, Cosi, zoo, packs that are pretty nice.   Since most of the things we are doing where cheep we were able to stay at that hotel.   Smiley

I can't wait!

Amelia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come see my Etsy Store!

www.ameliadesign.etsy.com

Or my blog!

www.ameliab.blogspot.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008 03:29:04 PM »

Oh oh oh!

1.  Easton is awesome!  If you have kids, you might want to take a change of clothes or some flip flops at least.  They have outdoor fountains that kids play in all summer long.  They aren't typical fountains like you might think, though.  It's a giant flat patio area that has streams of water randomly shoot up from it.  It's so funny/fun to watch them play and run through them in the sun.

2.  The rose festival park is where I got married last year! Smiley  WHEE!  I love that park, but I've never gone to the actual festival.

3.  Franklin Park Conservatory is GREAT!  Butterflies and a permanent Chihuly glass exhibit -- take your camera!

4.  You rock Cheesy

5.  COSI remodelled and downsized a few years ago.  It's a lot of fun for the little ones, but a little overpriced for what they offer (I think).  Still a good time.

6.  Love the zoooo!

7.  Never been to Mozart's bakery, but I hear good things!

8.  Polaris lovvvves to take your money.  Prepare to shop!  Oh, there is also a dam near there with a swimming area (not sure if you're into that).  If you want to hang out in the sun or check out the little marina on the big old lake.

9.  Santa Maria is okay... fun to take photos outside the ship for sure!  We've never taken the tour, though.

You've planned succch a great vacation!  I think you'll have a lot of fun doing all of the things on your list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make DIY Tassel Jewelry
How to Make a Pastel Pearl Wooden Bead Necklace
The Delicate Art of the Faberge Egg
Jewelry Cleaning Tips
Intricate Food Inspired Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...