A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Slip stitch or 'amigurumi spiral'  (Read 1102 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TLW
« on: January 27, 2008 02:59:57 AM »

Hello all,

I have tried searching for this topic, but maybe I used the wrong wording, because I couldn't find any discussion on this. Anyway, along to the question.....

I have just started my first pattern that actually has to fit someone (a baby, to be precise).
http://www.geocities.com/mooncat48/Patterns/BabysandChildren/CutieBootie/Cutie_Bootie_Revised.htm

It is my first pattern ever, that uses a slip stitch to join rounds, instead of spiralling along happily.
I found this great tutorial on the slip stitch that finally made me realize what I did wrong,
http://barney.gonzaga.edu/~aburton/crochrnd.html

So I can finish (or actually start again) with the pattern; but I am still wondering:
Is there an actual difference between the slip stitch and the 'spiral'?
Does it look better / worse?
Is there a difference in how the 'fabric' behaves eventually (I can imagine that slip stitch makes the fabric slightly more flexible)?
Any other issues I am not thinking of?

Would the pattern that I am trying to re-create be really different if I ignored the (for me) difficult slip stitch, and just went along happily with a spiral?
I would say not, but I haven't found anything so far that suggests so. However, I haven't found anything on the contrary either.

So, what are the opinions on this?
I am still too slow in crocheting to simply 'try it both, and see the difference', because of course it has to be finished in time.

Thanks in advance for any insights in this topic,

TLW

THIS ROCKS   Logged

No interesting signature yet........
gnathalie2
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008 11:15:13 AM »

Using a slip stitch to join rounds leaves the work more even, but your left with the seam, but crocheting in a spiral does look nicer, it just leaves the 'top' of your piece a bit uneven.
nathalie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

make today a positive one!
www.gnathalie2.word press.com
TLW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008 11:43:38 PM »

Ah, Thank you.

I didn't realize it like that.
Probably because for me 'using a slip stitch to join rounds' does lead to a very noticeable seam.
So I have given up, and I am now making socks using the spiral (so much nicer and easier)

But I am planning on trying the slip-stitch joining again for the last round of the cuff, to avoid the unevenness.

ThanX gnathalie2,

TLW
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dotsamantha
getting better at being happy

"All I hear is Easter Bunny, Easter Bunny"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008 06:14:05 AM »

I prefer spiraling for the same reason, although I have found that if you make one extra stitch per round and slip stitch the second stitch it closes the gap nicely. When I spiral and I want a more even edge, I make 2 or 3 slip stitches before I fasten off and it seems to even the edge a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

http://www.ravelry.com/people/dotsamantha
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008 07:59:15 AM »

I too personally hate slip stitching. Though it does help for evenness if you are doing stripes of colors.
However my family doesn't seem to mind one way or the other so I typically just spiral instead. I found it's easier for me to keep my count this way as well. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TLW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008 08:44:07 AM »

And there was me, thinking I was the only one who can't really manage the 'easiest stitch around'.

I like the trick of using a few slipstitches of evening it out, I will most certainly try that.

And dotsamantha:
What do you mean exactly?
Do you use an additional stitch AND the 'turning chain'.
Or do you omit the 'turning chain'?

Let me see if I can explain that more clearly.
Say, you have a first round of 12 hdc stitches, closed with a slipstitch (the 13th? or the 12th?)

To make the second round, the instructions will say something like 'chain 2, and make a hdc in every hdc. connect with slipstitch'

So should that mean that you chain 2, make 12 hdc, make an additional hdc and join the chain with the additional one
Or do you use your slipstitch to join the 13th with the first hdc.

And do you understand what I am asking here, because I am as lost in my explanation as I was in my crochet last week-end.

Maybe I should make a 'this is what is going wrong' tutorial with all my questions, because I seem to have too many.

TLW

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Eel Sauce
How to Slice Sushi Fish
How to Slice Sashimi
How to Make a Traditional Sushi Roll
Sushi Ingredients to Have on Hand
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...