A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Janome JS 1022? Beginner's Woes!  (Read 2581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yamakarasu
« on: January 26, 2008 04:36:54 PM »

(My first post and Firefox crashes right as I finish writing the whole thing.. guh!)

Sorry for another can't-decide-what-machine-to-get post!

I'm completely new to sewing and don't know much about sewing machines at all. I've wanted to get a sewing machine for a while now so I can finally learn how to use one and learn how to hem my clothes (lots of that to do!) and eventually do some reconstructions or creating stuff from scratch (probably not for a long time, but eventually!)

I can't decide whether I should spend the money for a really good machine or just a simple, inexpensive one. I've seen the Brothers and a few Singers at Walmart, Kenmore models at Sears, and today I went to the sewing machine outlet store and one of the employees steered me to the Janome JS 1022, and my heart kind of fluttered as he showed me some of the features and how smoothly it went through different materials and so many layers of denim!! haha. They're having a red-tag deal on that particular model and it's marked down from $299 to $269, plus a 2 year warranty, and all the free lessons I want so I can learn how to use it easily. But with tax, that's still $306.66, and while I can afford it, it's still a lot of money to me. (Plus I know I'll still need to buy other materials to actually use it!) Ideally I wanted to spend maybe $200 tops, though that of course wasn't set in stone. I can't find ANY reviews for this particular machine, or even a lot of information about it online, so if anyone can, does this sound like a good deal? I'm not sure if I really NEED to spend that much on a sewing machine. I don't know a thing about sewing and while I don't think I'd ever use a lot of the fancy stitches, I'd still like a good quality sewing machine that I'll love to use and one that'll last me for years.

Should I just get a $100-$150 one from Walmart so I can just learn the basics? Should I just splurge and get the JS 1022 while the deal is still around (probably for another week or so) or look for other models (other specific Janomes maybe?) Do I need the warranty? Or should I look for a used machine without one? Less features?? More stitches? So many choices!

Thanks for any input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phyxious
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008 08:19:04 AM »

I completely understand your troubles, I bought a new machine last year and I thought about it a loooong time before I decided. I wanted to have a computerized machine and those are quite expensive I found out. Anyway, at last I decided to go with a Janome Jubilee 85 I think it's called. I payed 7000 SEK for it which is about 1,000 USD. Yes, ALOT of money. But I love it! I would guess that all Janome are pretty much alike, even the mechanical ones. I haven't tried the one you are talking about though. But when I bought it here they said Janome always have 5 year warranty on their machines. But maybe that's only in Sweden, I don't know. Warranty is always good to have of course, but I think the most important thing is to really try the machine out in the shop and see how it feels to sew with, is it easy to swap presser feet, thread it etc. If you buy a machine that you don't like to sew with you'll never use it so that is really important. Think about what you will use it for and make sure you have enough seams on it to do that. Like a seam for stretchy material other than regular zigzag (eg three step zigzag, overlock seam), a invisible hem seam and an automatic buttonhole-seam is great! And that you get different presser feet with it like a zipper foot.

Now that I've had my machine almost a year I am starting to think however that it would have been smarter to buy a less expensive machine (how often do you really use all those decorating seams anyway...) and go with a serger also. A serger is great if you want to recon t-shirts for example, if you think you'll be doing alot of that. Personally I think that 269 USD for a sewing machine is not alot of money, if you think you will use it for a long time. And if you get classes included in that price even better! It's alot more fun when you're a newbie if you know a few things to start with. It's quite tedious to teach yourself everything Cheesy Also to think about is that if you buy at a place like Wal-Mart then if you have trouble they're not likely to know all that much to help you. A smaller/sewingmachine dedicated shop usually has employees that know alot more about the machines and are often more willing to help you out if you have a problem.

Those are just my thoughts and I'm sure others will disagree so get as much advice as possible before you decide. And I hope that helped at least a little bit so you didn't have to read my ramblings for nothing Grin Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When it's 1 am and you can see dancing elephants in the texture of your carpet, it's probably time to go to bed...
jerryleetypes
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008 09:03:45 AM »

I bought a Janome L-392 about five years ago. I think I paid just under $200 new for it. It was a floor/demo model which was originally listed at $350 so I was able to get it for almost half off simply because it wasn't new in box. The main reason I bought it was because the body is all metal and I wanted something sturdy. It's not the best machine I own, but it's decent. The biggest problem I've had is that the tension needs constant adjusting and it skips stitches a lot. I never use it as a topstitch machine. Would I buy another Janome? No. If I were in the market for a new machine I would buy a vintage pfaff or elna. I've sworn off new machines unless it's a fancy industrial model.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tekalinosky54
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008 02:10:19 PM »

i bought a Janome 7318 today, and tryed it out in the store, it has a four sep button hole and works slick! I think i am in love, now i juts need ot find a good table for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need a double cheeseburger and hold the lettuce
Don't be frontin' son no seeds on a bun
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008 04:44:23 PM »

I've played with several Janomes. The guy who services my machine highly reccomends the Jean Machine by Janome- and guess what? the MSRP on it is $125 Smiley It's a basic model with tough structures so it can sew heavy fabrics 9thus the name). The Janome Magnolia line is their less expensive machines.

I can top the other purchasers, I just got a Janome 6600 Professional for Christmas- MSRP $1999 (but I got it on sale Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shrimp Creole Recipe
How to Make Broccoli Rice Casserole
Seared Orange Salmon - Alaska Salmon Recipe #3
Crab Cakes with Lemongrass Mustard Mayo
Zesty Italian Salmon - Alaska Salmon Recipe #2
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...