A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Owlie Handwarmers  (Read 1133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kathleenalice
« on: January 26, 2008 10:42:34 AM »

This project was my first entry into the knitting challenge but i've started a new and better project now in the form of an owlie skirt, so feast your eyeballs on that instead! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=228720.0

ETA: The original is now up here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=230056.0

Right, so. I've never knit on circulars before. I've bought them. I've tried to do stuff. I've always ended up just throwing them across the room. And cables? Please! Don't even talk to me about cables.

But then along comes a Magic Yarn Ball swap...I received my package this morning and my partner has totally thrown down the gauntlet. Circulars AND cables. I had been thinking of entering this challenge with a lacy skirt knit on circs. I'd bought the yarn and picked out the lace patterns from my book. But, no. It was not to be. I so wish I could enter twice.

Here's my whole MYB swap package:

Here's a pic of the box it arrived in:

That tracking number is DW083980515GB and if you enter that onto the Royal Mail website it should tell you that the package arrived at 11am this morning. It probably won't tell you that I was about to get into the bath when the doorbell rang and that I had to call down the stairs saying "yeah, I'll be there in a minute, I'm naked right now".

And here I am, 5 rows in...

Update, 21:12, 26th Jan

I'm getting the hand of using the pair of circulars. it's kinda interesting, but I'm not sure that I'm a convert. I reckon I'd be quicker on a pair of straight needles and just stitching up the side after. Though I guess it wouldn't look so good.

I guess I should say also that I had no clue when I started what it is I'm acutally making! I've figured out now that it's a pair of handwarmers but I've no clue what the patch of cabling is going to be.

I totally stuffed up the first row and I've managed once so far to knit with the wrong needle but otherwise...It's going OK.

I've done all the easy bit now and I've just used the cable needle for the first time! It was a total anticlimax - it was so easy! To be fair, I've only done two simple little twists so far but that initial fear is now gone.

Fancy some more in progress pics? Here you go...

Update, 00:44, 27th Jan

Whoops...I think I got a bit carried away. I was too close to finishing to put it down so I just kept going and yay! the first one is finished.

I may have made a mistake (the thumb hole is lower in the pattern) but I'm calling it a subconscious improvement because actually I don't think the fit would be as good with a lower thumb hole. I got distracted waiting for the cable pattern to show me what it was.

IT'S AN OWL!!!!

Anyone who knows me knows I love owls more than anything ever. I have an owl handbag and I have named the owl on it. He's called Eric. I have an owl coin purse, an owl keyring, an owl calendar...I'm big on owls. I nearly died when I realised it was that amazing owl cable pattern I've seen on Craftster a few times and I've always always wanted to know how to do it.

And look! I've done it!

For the eternally curious, I've documented not only the stages of knitting but also the damage I've managed to do to the index finger on my left hand (it's one of those horrible skin tags and I kept catching it with the yarn over the last 15-20 rows or so), my slightly spaced out 1am face and Bottom on the telly.

VICTORY!!!!!

Finished and beautious...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008 03:57:33 PM by kathleenalice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

twisted5whispers
Even through the darkest days, this fire will still burn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008 11:53:46 AM »

good job! im trying to teach myself to knit.. and boy oh boy.. its a challenge. it looks  good so far!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in doing personal swaps! I can knit, crochet and sew. Smiley
kathleenalice
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008 02:39:02 PM »

Oh dear.

I don't know if I'm a glutton for punishment or what, but after finishing these gloves I've now fallen in love with the owl motif and I've just started a skirt with a border of them round the bottom. And not only is there a border of owls, but I'm putting them in a different colour. I'm only doing them a panel at a time but at the minute I have 9 bobbins dangling from my pins.

And because I am some form of pattern-fiddling geek I've spent an hour today trying to work out how to translate the owl pattern from knitting in the round to doing it on two pins.

Piccies soon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeri Smith-Ready Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Jennet Conant Talks About The Irregulars
Philippa Gregory Talks About Margaret Beaufort Part 2
Philippa Gregory Talks About Margaret Beaufort Part 3
Meet Author Andrew Clements
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...