A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabulously Fun Felt Foods - Tons!!! - New Items 1-4-09 & Tuts!!  (Read 174027 times)
Tags for this thread: felt , craftster_best_of_2008 , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bperry042
« on: January 25, 2008 07:35:48 PM »

So... A few months ago I discovered children's felt play food here on crafster.  I was instantly addicted.  I made a few pieces in November, thinking I would give my girls an entire supermarket full of food for Christmas.  Well... as December came around I found myself extremely busy with other things and I didn't get a chance to finish these.Then, this week  I decided to give the foods that I had made to my girls and see if they liked them enough for me to make more.  Indeed they did!!!  They immediately went about taking orders from whoever may be in the house at that moment.  They also started to list off more things that I just “Had” to make.  Over the past week I've added lots of fruit, veggies, breads and bags to store it all in.  I still have a list as long as my arm of items to make. 

I won't bore you with the long list of items.  But, they are all pictured here.  My favorites are the beaded strawberries, kiwis, lettuce and bags of chips.  I had sooo much fun making these and I'm sure there will be lots more in the future.  I did make 8 lunch sac style bags to hold everything in.  I cut out colorfull squares of felt and free cut out the letters.  I then used my free motion foot on my machine to stitch them down. 

I've added some tuts below the pictures so you can try making some too!

As always, there are more pics on my blog.

Chips, Tea Bags, Fruit:

Edit:  Better Pictures and New Foods!!  (older pics still on blog)

Newest Items!

Orange, Apple, Eggplant, Bell Pepper, Corn on the cob with removable husks, Mushrooms, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Whole fish, Fish filet (raw on one side and grilled on the other), and Waffle.

Cinnamon Currio sticks, Whole Pear, Meat loaf with gravy, Baked / Mashed Potato (skin comes off), Turkey and Roastbeef lunch meats, and Crackers with cheese.

Lemon & Lime on top and Tomatto and Onion on bottom (onion still needs its little hairs on top)

Egg Evolution and finished eggs on bottom.  It took multipal tries to figure out a egg pattern. You can see from the pic just how many it took.

New "Infinity Bread"  This thing is sooo cool!!  It can be a Gyro (did I spell that right?), Crepe, Tortilla Shell, Pita Pocket, Pizza Crust... and anything else you may think of.  It can bend and hold it's shape.

Fruit Snacks & Sugar Cookies

Quesadilla & Pasta w/  Meatballs

Fruits & Veggies

Breakfast Pancakes, Eggs, & Bacon

Lunch Meat Sandwich

Tutorials:

General Directions for all foods:

I used my machine for about 75% of all the sewing.  Detail stitching was done with embroidery floss.  I used stuffing a few pieces and some thin quilt batting in things like, peanut butter & jelly blobs, bread (stacked a few layers) spaghetti sauce, pancakes, etc.
For the circles, I used a mason jar lid, small plate, small bowls.... things like that.  And all non circled shapes were just free drawn into the desired shapes.

Bread: The bread is just two cream colored “bread” shapes.  Then I cut 1.5” stripes of lt brown for the crust.  I then sewed down the strip on one side of the bread, then attached the other side leaving a space for turning. (I left about 4” open so I could lay in batting) I then layed in about 4 thin layers of batting to make them full and hand stitched the opening closed.

Infinity Bread:  I've decided to keep this one a mystery for the time being. 

Meatballs & Hamburger Patti:  Two brown circles sewn together and stuffed to desired shape.  I added some fabric paint to add detail.  (grill marks on patti and splotches on meatballs)

Bacon:  Layer three free form cut pieces of felt into bacon shapes. (2 brown, 1 lt brown)  Stitch “fat” blobs in center of bacon.  Cut out just the top layer of felt to reveal lt. Brown “fat” underneath. 

Eggs:  Cut two free form white egg shapes.  Cut one yellow circle.  Attach yolk to one white egg shape and stuff the yolk full.  Attach both egg whites together.

Bow Tie Noodles:  I cut 1” wide strips of felt then used my pinking sheers to cut them down to 1” x 1.5” rectangles.  Then I gathered the centers and ran them through my sewing machine 

Flat Stuff Including:  Lunch Meat, Cheese, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Pickles, Bananas, Pepperoni Pancakes, Butter, Tea Bags, Cookies, Chips, Sauces.... For these I cut out 2 layers of felt in the correct shape of that food.  For most of these I just used a fancy stitch on my machine (you could also use a zig zag) and stitched the two layers together.  Some needed additional detail stitching inside the piece.  The tomatoes and pickles I sewed the two layers together (leaving a small opening) and then turned them right side out.  Then I top stitched and did the detail stitching.  The pancakes, butter, and tea bags have one layer of batting inside.  Sauces are layered pieces of felt free stitched together.

Quesadilla: Three large circles (two cream one orange). I layed them on top of each other.  Then used my rotary cutter to slice it into pieces (this was not measured, just cut.  Just like we do with a real one) Stitch pieces together.

Cucumbers were just two green circles and two smaller cream circles all sewn together and detail stitched.

Onion slices:  For these I cut out two large circles (maybe 5-6” round) and I cut the circles in half.  I then started sewing a kinda rainbow (kinda hard to describe) so that I could cut the pieces apart to make it look like a sliced onion.

Kiwis, Lemons & Limes, were one circle folded in half.  These have a bit of stuffing in them and were stitched closed.  I detail stitched where necessary.  The kiwis have an extra cream circle in the center and I added black seed beads as the seeds.

Apples & Oranges: These are made with two pieces.  The top “flesh” part  was a circle cut from a mason jar lid.  The rind was a pointed oval (kinda hard to describe)  I used the machine to attach the pieces.  I won't do that next time as I think it distorted the shape.  I'll hand stitch them.  I used embroidery floss on the details in the center.

Strawberries: Cut out circles then cut the circles in half.  I machine stitched the flat side together to make a cone.  I stuffed the insides with fabric scraps and gathered up the top.  I then used green yarn as the stem and attached it to a green square piece of felt.  Then I stitched freehand the green square to the gathered top.  After it was secure I cut off the access green felt into a wavy circle.  Then I stitched on the yellow seed beads.

Carrots:  For baby carrots cut two free form ovals (the more uneven the oval the better)  Sew ovals together leaving an opening.  Turn, stuff, hand stitch closed.  For whole carrots, cut a triangle and stitch up side.  Stuff and free stitch some green on top.

Needle felted items:

The grapes were needle felted into shape.  I then took a piece of hand spun yarn (any chunky yarn would do) and knotted up the yarn a bit then sewed the grapes onto the yarn.

The cherries were needle felted circles.  It then used brown embroidery floss that I pulled through the whole cherry and then knotted up the stem.

The fruit snacks were needle felted into oval shapes and I made them felt bags.  The wool I used I had dyed using kool aid.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009 11:25:35 AM by bperry042 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarPickle

all humans are intrinsically creative.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008 07:48:21 PM »

CUTE!  i love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"everyday above ground is a great day."
-j.r.p.

i gots me a blog! The Sugarpickle Sweatshop

Shop SUGARPICKLE!

SugarPickle on Myspace
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008 07:49:32 PM »

:O!!!!
I ABSOLUTELY preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', 'LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE')  THIS!!!!!
omg would you be my mom? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
when i was little i loved real thing toys (like pots and utensils) and playing supermarket
i love everything!!!!

definitely i'm clicking THIS ROCKS!!!! \m/

saludos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tastethesky7

Somebody's watchin' me...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008 07:53:29 PM »

I'd love a closer pic of the food, if you wouldn't mind.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If we do not find pleasant things, we shall at least find new things.
Cacambo, from Candide
funda62
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008 07:57:31 PM »

OMG! So adorable!  The grapes, the bread, the everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
Muria
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008 07:58:18 PM »

Those are really awesome!  Love the food, love the grocery bags!  You're a great mom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
narhloki
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008 08:10:50 PM »

I love these, they look so real and bright! I can see why your girls love them.

What a good way to teach them about healthy eating too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bperry042
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008 08:12:40 PM »

Wow!! Thanks so much for all the kind words.  Grin  I've added some closer pics of the different foods.  If you have any questions about certains things please feel free to ask. 

Healthy foods is exactly why I made these items.  Most of the plastic food in the stores is "junky".  I wanted foods that my daughters ate.  And, things that I want them to eat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahswingset
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008 08:48:06 PM »

amaaaaazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmBem
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008 09:28:25 PM »

wow... it all looks so amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Bling your photos
Thousands Of Red Bull Cans Transformed Into Amazing Sculptures
The Making of the Summer Reading Sculpture
Turning Tyres Into Art
Tiny Skeleton Art, Creepy or Cool?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...