A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why?? Do you sew for your children?  (Read 8363 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010 08:03:36 PM »

Because boys clothes from the store suck!

They all have either something tv related (we dont do tv), or have sports, dinosaurs, bugs, tools, trucks/cars, dull colors, or some other stereotypical 'boy' thing on them.  And if he see's something on a girls shirt he wants, its cut skimpy, or is all pink and glitter and obnoxious looking. 

Its hard to find boys tank tops, and its hot here so they are good to have.

He is potty trained but in 18month size pants - he does not need diaper snaps, or extra 'butt room'.  He hasn't for a while actually, he was mostly out of diapers before he turned 1 (potty trained fully for poop at 8months, and had occasional pee accidents until he was around 15months), and he is super tiny, so its impossible to find clothes that fit right. 

I want unique clothes.
I want him to choose what he wants to wear (he picks fabrics, and designs!)

He loves telling people 'my mommy made it' when he gets compliments on his clothes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FLTMedicMommy
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010 08:27:00 AM »

I love making my kids things. Its nice to not have to run to the store to buy there overpriced crazy designs. I dont buy anything that advertizes for the company as well. We dont shop at Old Navy for that reason. It also makes me feel good when someone compliments my design, and then i say i only have $5 of material in a dress. I just wish i was faster in the turn around time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.--
Leonardo da Vinci
graceless lady
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011 07:38:00 PM »

Well, I just love to sew. I make clothes for myself, too, but not nearly as often as for my daughter. Kids clothes just come together faster. Plus, she's skinny, but I guess average height. Clothes that fit her are often too short, and if I try to fit for height, they're way too big. So, sewing it is.
I am turned off by some of the clothes that are out there. I haven't seen much of the inappropriate/skimpy clothing, but then, my daughter is only 2, so I don't think that's happening with toddler clothing (at least one would hope not). But the "attitude" clothes are a bit off-putting.
However, I don't make all her clothes. If it fits or it just doesn't make sense for me to make it, then I buy. Basics like onesies/t-shirts, leggings, etc. can be had for cheap enough that I don't want to invest the time in making them. Of course, I often can't resist embellishing them.
But really the best part is when she runs around in something I made for her giggling and proudly shouting "Mama made!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

punkrockpigtails
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011 08:34:14 PM »

My reason is also just that I love to sew! I also love being able to make something unique for my daughter. She loves "helping" me make things and playing with fabric (she's 19 months) so that's really fun too. It's something my mother taught me how to do, that I also think about passing down to my daughter. I wore clothes my mom made for me (in fact, she made my wedding dress!) so that makes it a bit special for me to make them for my LO Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swampcrone
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011 09:53:04 AM »

Being able to customize fit is a bit thing- DS is long waisted and finding pants that don't cause him to have plumber butt is a pain.

I also like not adding to the carbon footprint by upcycling clothing.  I can go to the thrift store & buy a pair of mens pants that have more then enough fabric to cut down for a new pair.  I've noticed that it is very hard to find "used" clothing in boys sizes and what is out there is so destroyed that I can't justify buying even for "play" clothing.

He is showing interest in wanting to sew- I've been looking at "toy" sewing machines to get for him (mine is too much of a tank to trust him not hurting himself)- and why is every toy sewing machine pink?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kahlans-mommy
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011 08:54:58 AM »

Because I love to sew, and clothing my plus size and pregnant self would cost far more than buying it... Plus clothes for K just come together faster. If I really set my mind to it (and got off the computer LOL) I could make an outfit a day for her, for less than $1 from thrifted fabric.

That's an interesting thought... A new outfit every day... I have a good 40 t-shirts sitting on my ironing board waiting to be upcycled... Oh now I wish I hadn't had that thought... Now I want to try it... even if just for a couple of weeks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Green Gypsy
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011 02:12:59 PM »

I wore a lot handmade clothing as a child during my elementry years, because my mom loved sewing. I remember enjoying all the positive attention I recieved at school for my clothing especially the dresses during the holidays. I had grown an appreciation for all things handmade and/or frugal and want to pass that to my daughter. I know she feels pretty special wearing something unique, especially when she gets to pick out the fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tynwia
Reduce, reuse, recycle it into something useful.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011 01:20:40 PM »

I wore handmade clothing growing up too, like Green Gypsy, and I loved it. When my two older girls (20 &19) were small, I sewed for them because it was usually cheaper. I still sew for the 19 year old Smiley I sew for my 8 year old because she likes to be different and I love to design clothes. It's not always cheaper to do so now but it is always worth the compliments she gets on the things I make her. I do buy branded clothes if 1. they are on sale (I hate paying more for their clothes than I do my own) and 2. they are good quality. We've been school clothes shopping recently and the things I have seen are going away from the hoochie mama look. Things seem more girlie and age appropriate now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/tynwia
I have a button addiction.......
Up for personal swaps Smiley
Mummybrain
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011 05:35:47 PM »

Most of what I sew at the moment is to save some money. My daughter has outgrown lots of dresses, but i can cut them off and make a skirt for my youngest daughter for example. With 5 kids I just can't afford to keep buying new clothes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NewbieUK
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011 09:41:13 AM »

I had to sew really as my daughter is small for her age so I'm forever adjusting. I'm a beginner but also love to make her clothes when I get time to. Yes, I really enjoy it. Smiley Oh and knowing I wont be totally freaking out when she announces the school fancy dress day/play/whatever in a few years time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Graphic Eyeliner at the Custo Barcelona Spring 2014 Show
Perfect Red Lips at the Monique Lhuillier Spring 2014 Show
Anthony Vaccarello Spring/Summer 2014 - Paris Fashion Week
The Best Beauty Vitamins
Tips and Tricks for Engagement Session Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...