A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why?? Do you sew for your children?  (Read 7958 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iwrite
« on: January 25, 2008 07:25:02 PM »

I know the reason i want to sew for my daughter... It is becuase i want to be proud of what my daughter is wearing, and not have to worry about searching and searching through department stores for something appropriate for a small child. I really don't agree with what is popular right now, and would like my daughter to grow up with an appreciation for more modest, lady like clothes. That and for what ever reason, im a bit anti name brand. Im odd o_0 i know =p lol What are your reasons?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently addicted to: Crochet
Want to learn: How to sew clothes
straw_holder

still striving for perfection...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008 08:28:43 PM »

My primary reason is that I enjoy it.  I find satisfaction in creating something from scratch, and seeing one of my children proudly wearing it.

My secondary reason is I'm not often happy with the things I find in stores.  Either they are hideous, or indecent, or too expensive, or don't fit properly.  When I made clothes myself, I can control most of those things....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008 02:54:44 PM »

Ditto Smiley
1) I like sewing & sewing small things goes faster!
2) I'm pretty anti- My Child As A Billboard.

I'm not completely anti- Name Brand, but I don't like to be free advertising. My daughter in Kinder has a lot of cute tops from Old Navy, I can't make them for the $8-9 bucks I paid so I don't mind the "Old Navy" up the side of the cute fairy on a mushroom picture on the front. I don't buy the ones that just say "Old Navy" across the front in huge letters with no other designs.

When I see newborns wearing leather Nike's it makes me feel pretty disgusted, but then again I never cared what people thought about what I wear & don't care to associate with anyone who bases judgements of people by their wardrobe. Yes, I want my children to look nice & be decent, but I'm not a social climber, being unique is pretty important to me. My daughters can look really nice, decent & trendy in a dress I made with leggings from Target & shoes from Payless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
straw_holder

still striving for perfection...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008 03:16:35 PM »

Good point about the walking billboard.  I feel the same way.  Why should I pay a company when I'm advertising for them?

Of course, I also refuse to buy character clothing or shoes, much to my children's dismay.  Often it is so cheaply made that it doesn't even last one or two washings. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008 05:57:30 PM »

I completely contradicted myself!!! I will rephrase: I dislike people who buy a name brand to show they can buy the name brand & it's all about the name brand, they wouldn't know quality if it bit them in the butt. Thus the utterly futile act of putting $50 shoes on a child who can't walk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayneysews
Mummybuttons

Sewing for small boys is cool

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008 10:30:02 AM »

I enjoy it so much,it is a practical outlet for my creativity,I find especially for boys but girls too,the gender stereo typing gets me down,i hate the dull,dull clothes for boys these days,plus I get to buy cute fabric right? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and generally creative Mummy of four wonderful beings
http://www.mummybuttons.blogspot.com/

http://sewinginmysleep.blogspot.com/

She who sews...... ...wins
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008 11:44:34 AM »

I enjoy it so much,it is a practical outlet for my creativity,I find especially for boys but girls too,the gender stereo typing gets me down,i hate the dull,dull clothes for boys these days,plus I get to buy cute fabric right? Wink

This is a lot of my reason, too. But it's also a control issue...I simply cannot stand the attitude shirts, pop-tartlet clothes and name brand *everything* -- besides, there are only a few shopping places here so pretty much everyone has the same thing. I want a little originality and creativity for my tyke. I'm just getting started, so we'll see where it leads!

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
iwrite
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008 04:39:33 PM »

I really dislike character clothes too o_0 im like GET THAT BIG BIRD !!!OFF!!! MY KID! xD I just think its sad when television is -so- addicted it leaks out on to our clothing o_0 toys i understand... but clothing?!? I also can't stand the 'attitude' clothes either, thanks for reminding me xD I just want my daughter to look like a little lady... I don't want her clothing making other people think she is anything but an innocent little girl, kwim?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently addicted to: Crochet
Want to learn: How to sew clothes
funda62
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008 07:17:58 AM »

I have one dd who is very big for her age.  She now needs clothes from the "tween" section even though she's only 6.  No way am I letting her dress like a whore or whatever it is clothing manufactures have decided our 11 year olds should look like.  So when I can't find appropriate clothing in her size I make it.  My other dd is extremely small for her age.  Not a big issue now but once she is potty trained we will have a problem with snaps and pants I think.  I love making clothes for her because they go together so quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
indywriter
I am my grandma's girl

The reason why.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008 10:02:08 AM »

As others have said, I don't like the attitude tees and super short everything that they have out for little girls these days.

I see sewing as a way of connecting to my roots, but also a way to be different and creative.  I love seeing a simple piece of fabric and knowing that it will become a dress or an outfit (and that my hard work will make it happen).

Also, my 7-year-old still appreciates it.  She gets excited when I tell her I bought fabric to make her something and she tells people that her mommy made something she's wearing.  It's always nice to be appreciated, especially by someone so young.  She is learning to sew as well.

And I love to make my girls complimentary if not matching outfits.  Buying them from a store would break me, but I can make them beautiful summer dresses for under $15 for both.

And my 7-year-old's school went to uniforms this year.  Sewing allows me to save money on uniform pieces, while still injecting some style and general girliness into my daughter's school clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indywriter 
http://www.haleycreations.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/indywriter

------------------<---<--<@
I know a little garden close
Set thick with Lily and red Rose
Where I would wander if I might
From dewy dawn to dewy night.

W. Morris
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 3 Shirts for Boys
Sun-Protective Clothing for Kids
Trendy Hairstyles for Kids
Tween Boys Back to School Fashion
Hottest Back to School Fashion Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...