A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,748
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why?? Do you sew for your children?  (Read 8249 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shellipsm
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008 01:22:37 PM »

Well for the first reason, my daughter is a size 3t in height, but erm, a 5t in the waist (and she's 2 years old)- she's not fat, just solid, and thus most pants don't fit her properly, so when I make pants for her, I KNOW they'll fit.

Also, I DO get that "thrill of watching my child wear something I made"  And my grandmother z"l was a seamstress, so I feel a connection to her when I sew.

And it's a form of frugality, too - I can get some great quality fabric from the sale bin at my local fabric shop, and it's SOOOOO much cheaper than buying retail...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atmomma
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008 02:01:41 PM »

I enjoy to sew for not just my kiddos but for everyone. My dd is 4 and but super skinny and tall- we're talkin 2t-3t waist and 5-6 length. Everytime we go to Walmart or Hancocks she asks if we can get more fabric for more dresses. She likes to help me with the pins and occasionally with the foot pedal of my machine so we get more bonding time. My ds is 2  but a bit big for his age so it is just so easy to make cute shirts for him that don't look like everyone else's and fit him. I don't have a problem with name brands but I'm cheap frugal sometimes to an extreme.
I also find that I am more relaxed when I sew and much less likely to lose my temper. I've really only been sewing for about a year but I can tell this will be a lifetime commitment to sew clothes and other things for my kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Charfish
Ever have a 24 hour hangover and feel like you just got off the tilt-a-whirl? Welcome to Pregnancy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008 07:05:30 PM »

I sew for my daughter b/c it's one of the easiest things for me to sew - dresses especially.  Also, I'm planning on potty training this summer, and dresses are the easiest things (so I've heard) to use when potty training.  I too am against some character clothing, but my daughter is OBSESSED with Thomas, and don't you know, they don't make "girl" Thomas clothing.  Roll Eyes  Yeah, I don't get it. 

I also like the challenge of figuring out a new pattern or trying something new on her that I wouldn't normally try.  Also I like it when someone asks me where I got her outfit and I can say that I made it.  It makes me feel proud that I am able to do a craft and get recognition of it.  Also, at 2, my daughter is just starting to realize what I'm doing when I cut out fabric and after her nap she has a new outfit. Smiley  It's great to see her get so excited about a new dress. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008 07:56:27 AM »

...I too am against some character clothing, but my daughter is OBSESSED with Thomas, and don't you know, they don't make "girl" Thomas clothing.  Roll Eyes  Yeah, I don't get it. 

You're right about no girly train clothes. My tyke's obsessed with trains. Luckily I found some fun train fabric and bought several yards. I made an Anna wrap dress and just finished her train quilt. She is very excited (which makes me happy)!

I guess that previous sentence is really the reason why.  Cheesy

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
katmiller79
Peanut Butter Queen

*Mommy is the Peanut Butter Queen*

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008 03:57:42 PM »

because I can make fantastically cute things and not break the bank Wink
I also sew because my girls LOVe to design their own items. They will pick a pattern, fabric choices and wah lah, they created something they LOVE because they picked it all Smiley
Polka dots and skulls are AWESOME together Wink At least in vals world they are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to 4 Kidlets !
MommyTheMaid
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008 10:16:43 AM »

I enjoy it and can't spend the money for the cute boutique clothes on eBay.  I love making one of a kind outfits for my girls.  I don't have to worry too much about the short stuff that is out there because my oldest is a tomboy and refuses to wear most of that anyway.  I only get to make her hats and pajamas now tho Sad  She is "too old" for that.   My 2 year old happens to love that I can bring in a new dress every few days with something she likes on it.  Usually kitties LOL 

During the summer I can get away with buying a few pairs of shorts and few t-shirts for my 2 year old and everything else is handmade.  It's abit harder in winter for me for some reason.  More clothing is needed and I have less time I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funda62
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008 04:55:05 PM »

Hugs MommyTheMaid, my oldest DD is a big tomboy as well.  I make her pj's and costumes but she is balking at a long swing top that I'm smocking for her birthday.  Forget dresses or skirts.  I just doll up the little one (2 in 2 weeks) even more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
Leesah
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008 11:55:35 PM »

I buy my DD clothes all the time.  I have no problem finding appropriate clothes for her.  I shop at walmart and target though lol  Sometimes oldnavy too.  My sister is a shop-a-holic and buys the rest.  I guess I'll experience the hoochie-mama stuff when she's a bit older, shes 5 right now.  But I make her clothes because it's fun Cheesy  I love to sew and the more experience the better I get.  I don't always find sewing her stuff to be cheaper than buying though, most of the really nice/pretty fabric is EXPENSIVE!  By the time I'm done making her something it costs more than if I had bought it in a store.  But it's so fun and it always ends up as an original/one of a kind Smiley   Plus she thinks it's pretty cool that her "mommy" makes her stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayneysews
Mummybuttons

Sewing for small boys is cool

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008 06:47:59 AM »

..............  she thinks it's pretty cool that her "mommy" makes her stuff.

Love that!!!
My kids too Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and generally creative Mummy of four wonderful beings
http://www.mummybuttons.blogspot.com/

http://sewinginmysleep.blogspot.com/

She who sews...... ...wins
grenouille78
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008 11:54:10 AM »

I like this thread!

I have several reasons. Here they are in no particular order: Sewing is fun. I like the creative outlet. I like being able to dress my girls in unique pieces. I don't like Disney princesses and Dora and Sesame Street (yes, I'm a grinch. Hm... do they make Grinch fabric?) and name brands emblazoned across my children's bodies. I love that my 2 year old gets so excited about the new clothes I make her and tells everyone she sees. I hope she's always excited about it. I think as long as I can make decent looking things and not homemade horrors that she'll be game for a few more years. And hey, maybe then she'll want to sew her own clothes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Skirt Waist Band
How to Draft a Simple Skirt Pattern
How to Design an English Rose Fabric
How To Learn the Basics Of Bricklaying
How to Build a Bridge
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...