A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,703
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DH in some Fish-Lovin' Boxers! [big bass img]  (Read 1269 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« on: January 17, 2009 07:40:55 PM »

Every spring, the crunchy, happy Friends school where I used to teach pre-school held an outdoor fair.  People had booths where they braided hair, some sold fresh lemonade and coffee, some sold hand-made note-cards and skirts, and my vascular neurosurgeon, whose kids attended the school, flipped burgers at the grill.  There was also a booth that featured the ancient Japanese art of fish-printing, called Gyotaku.  It is just what it sounds like: take a dead fish, paint it up, and plop it on a t-shirt.

Or... whatever.

I knew what would tickle DH's slighlty deranged/exhibitionist tendencies.  For his birthday, I got him the perfect blank canvas: white boxer shorts (which are surprisingly hard to find.)  "It's a DIY gift.  You've got to bring them to the Fair at school," said I. 

In his charmingly impish way, DH proudly marched up to the fish-painting booth with the white boxers behind his back.  At the booth, you could either supply your own blank t-shirt, or purchase one of their own.  DH grinned as he presented the people manning the booth with his canvas.

There were squeals of delight from the aging, Quaker women in their aprons and their braids. 

"How hilarious!  We should buy these and have them here along with the t-shirts!"

DH chose the bass, with his pun already in mind.  This fair was several years ago, and he proudly parades around in the fishy boxers at home.

And, of course, on Craftster.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
Capt_Jordi

Beachin it up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009 07:51:20 PM »

Those are amazingly funny! I want to know who was the first one to decide to paint the dead fish and throw it at something white...

Hmm... would be amusing to paint your walls that way! Who's up for that challenge?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009 07:56:03 PM »

Hehehe!  If he does say so himself, right?  Great gift and great execution!

I was reading and scrolling through you post and when I got to the second photo... well, the jaunty pose made me scroll back up, because I was certian this was one of your posts, lii_abl!  I don't know how I feel aboot seeing your husband's hip out to one side and knowing it's him, but I did.  Anyway, then I scrolled down further for the face shot.

Question: are the fish reused for painting after painting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009 08:40:55 PM »

I look forward to your posts for their creativity and their hilarity! I knew exactly who it was when I saw the very first picture. I love it! What an interesting technique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iwannamessupmysheetsw_you
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009 09:32:54 PM »

I have to agree with the above crafters... I definitely knew it was you and your DH's awesome modelling skills without even reading the name  Smiley

Interesting art technique... and I <3 puns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klum78

Actual size shown

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009 10:21:26 PM »

So funny!  I was browsing the recent with pics and saw the butt.  Like the others, I knew it had to be your DH!  I don't know if that's creapy or not... hmmm...
Maybe it's just because he's the only guy willing to show off a pic like this. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
Tero

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009 08:16:10 AM »

First off you need to know that not matter how crappy of a day I am having you and your DH make me laugh out loud and the rest of my day is great.
I would give anything to have to the two of you over for dinner, I can only imagine. Smiley
Y'all need to start your own blog.
How scary is it that we all on craftster can pick out your hubbies can amongst all that get posted here. hee hee
Thanks for being who you both are.
Much Peace
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
lil_abi
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009 09:43:09 AM »

You know you've been on craftster too much/too long/too prominently when:

People recognize DH's butt.
People willingly click on images of DH's butt.
People enjoy viewing images of DH's butt in Gyotaku-printed boxers, and then comment.

Glad they make you smile. 

They do reuse the fish many many times for this project.  The school bought them for this purpose from the fish-monger (how often do you get to use that word?!).  They laid the fish in a dish pan, where students, parents, teachers, and strange men with boxer shorts painted the fish.  Next they carefully laid the canvas (whatever it may be) on the fish, and gently pressed to get all the color and texture.  They wiped down the fish between artists.

Oh, and Tero, re: blog, check out my signature. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009 09:44:23 AM by lil_abi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
KarenLouiseM

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009 06:17:35 PM »

Ditto what everyone else said  Grin  Your posts are always awesome and the sense of humor in the art is always irresistable.

I have a similar t-shirt somewhere (haven't been able to wear it for ages - maybe some day I'll lose all that weight  Wink

If anyone is dying to do a simple version of this, here's one way:

I taught at a Montessori school for a while and our kids made fish prints (on paper).  We used a trout and painted it with regular tempera paint, usually all one color(we knew from past experience that stuff wouldn't come out of ANYTHING!).  We placed the paper on the fish and pressed it into place, then ran over it with a brayer.  Then we kind of pulled the paper flat (avoid touching wet paint) and when it had dried, used black ink to add color in the eye.  I still have one my son made about 25 years ago and it still looks pretty good.

One year I decided to try it on a t-shirt while we had all the stuff.  Used the exact same method and it came out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1b
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1a
How to Remap Color in Photoshop
How To Create a Fake Tattoo
How to Use the Filter Bar in Lightroom 2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...