A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double Knitting: a mostly pictorial tutorial  (Read 24963 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , tutorial , double_knit , mickey_mouse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiegh
« on: January 25, 2008 12:23:07 PM »

Let me preface this by saying I never imagined writing any sort of knitting tutorial from which other people can actually better their knitting skills.  I've learned a lot from the other knitting craftsters here, so I wanted to contribute the knowledge I've gathered because I'm grateful to others who took the time to do the same. 

So on with the mostly pictorial tutorial...

This is my example:

I used the graph I made up for my Disney scarf in this tut since it's the most recent one I've worked on.  I like Caron simply soft for these scarves and a size 9 circular needle.  The circular needle is for no reason other than I don't like the ends of needles poking out all over the place and I am quite good at losing needles.  I have to make a conscious effort to keep all my dpn's rubber banded together.  This size needle and the simply soft make a really soft scarf, and since it is two layers it insulates heat better. 

I searched google for a knitting graph and downloaded it.  http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/asymmetric/

I knew stitches were rectangular but not which direction.  Turns out they are wider than they are tall.  I think.  At least they are in my graph and it worked out pretty well.  So here's my graph for the Mickey head.

I used the long tail cast on method with both tan and brown held together.  Make sure your colors alternate.  Cast on 20 for this graph.

When you get to the end of your row, turn.  Hold the loose end and the ball of yarn ends together and make a couple stitches.  Don't cut the loose ends yet.  To make these stitches you're going to knit then purl.  I am knitting tan and purling brown.  If you do this it will give you a solid tan on one side and solid brown on the other.  I like to hold one strand in each hand so they don't get tangled and I can keep consistent tension on both strands.  Important!: Your first stitch is always knit.  Tan is the first loop, so tan is a knit stitch. 

When you get to the end you'll have tan all the way across.

Also Important!:  When you get to the end of a row, turn.  Now you're looking at the brown side.  Twist your two yarns together so the ends of the rows stay together.  Always twist counter-clockwise for a consistent edge.  This looks better than clockwise and much better than doing both. 

Pull your strands tight-ish (not super tight) and you will have brown on top and tan on bottom.  You brown is now the knit and tan is the purl.  Notice the first loop is brown?  Good.  Knit and purl across until you get to the other side.  After you pass the doubled loops from your cast on you can cut the strings off.

Now for the fun.  Continue knitting and purling until you have your desired length.  I just did the two rows.  On the graph I have eight blank spaces, four shaded spaces, and eight more blank spaces.  Each space represents both a knit and a purl stitch.  So knit and purl eight times, ending with a purl.  Now you will purl the next stitch, bringing it to the front.  So you will purl, knit for four spaces.  You ended with a brown knit, and you will knit a tan stitch to get tan back to the front.  Whatever color you knit will show on the side which is currently facing up.  Continue to knit, purl across. 

Turn your work and twist your strands counter-clockwise.  Knit and purl the next row, giving you this.

Follow the graph until you get to the end.

I did two more solid rows of knit,purl and then did my bind off.  The only difference between this and a single color bind off is holding both tan and brown together again, and picking up one of each color as a single stitch.   

Finish and you're done!  There, that wasn't so bad.  Please let me know if anything is unclear, and definitely post what you make.  I'm excited to see a bunch of double knit projects on craftster.  Now go double knit!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009 11:24:41 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my brown eyed girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008 12:32:40 PM »

Thank you Tiegh!!  This is awesome and very well done.  I was searching on the web last night about double knitting and your tutorial is very clear and helpful.  Thank you!!

And I do hope that you're able to find the helix pattern you made.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008 01:06:30 PM »

THanks for the awesome tut! I've never been able to figure out double knitting, but that actually makes sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
moecantsew

I am a scientist who crafts or is it the other way

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008 01:10:12 PM »

This is fantastic!  You definitely have some good knitting karma coming your way Grin

Edited to add:  I am a super geek and going to wally world to get some new yarn specially to try this tonight (yes it is friday...super geek!)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008 01:15:56 PM by moecantsew » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008 01:58:56 PM »

thank you SO much! I'm gonna actually give this a shot now after my last exam next week Smiley i've always wanted to learn but have always been afraid to Sad but no more! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
indigo_roses
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008 03:55:27 PM »

This looks like a great tute! Now, if only I knew how to knit...  Smiley (I'm a crocheter, but would like to try to learn to knit as well, mostly to say that I can do both Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
ninjadeathstrike
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008 04:39:46 PM »

This is great. I'm a noob and the most I can do is knit scarves. I think I'm going to try this out. Thanks for the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008 09:27:22 PM »

Thanks for the tute! I have saved it to my favorites!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
lanyu
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008 06:18:31 AM »

If you don't make the pattern, can you separate the two?  I thought double knitting means you want to knit two identical pieces with the same needles and at the same time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rainkeltoia
Heathen

ame megami 雨女神

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008 08:06:52 AM »

This is awesome, Thank you so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Without Rain There Can Be No Rainbows
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
See How Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Do Paris
Wear Your Chambray Shirt a New Way Every Day
5 Ways to Revamp Your Fall Wardrobe
Sofia Vergara To Wed in Vera Wang
Paul Smith - London- Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews and Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...