A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,460
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beer Garden?  (Read 2268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pulling_teeth
« on: January 25, 2008 12:05:16 PM »

So late last summer I started a new small garden out side of my room. it's about 15'x20'. It has a brick wall on one side dividing our house from our neighbors, chain link between the front and backyard, the house on the other (which has my favorite windows. The only crank windows in the house) and my makeshift hog fence with a child's bed spring for the gate. Doesn't look the best but it keeps the bigger dogs out. Once my vine covers the fence it will be hidden and the spring frame I think I will pop out the middle and use thin wood planks.
Anyhow my question... I want to put in a small walk way. I thought about using one of our rolls of roofing material (roll a roof), it has tiny stones that are tared together. Nice because it holds up a long time if you take the time to level the dirt for the path. But then I was thinking about using the bottom of beer bottles. I would cut off one to two inches from the bottom and press them into the ground. I think it would look nice, cute, and a bit out of the ordinary. Especially with the bit of green glass here and there. I think I would add a beer bottle birdbath/fountain in the ground as well. I would use a wide plastic bucket I have, that I think I would feel with 2mm plastic bbs for good water flow and to help hold bottles. I would place a pump and the add inverted bottles to make a shallow concaved pond. I was wondering what everyone thought about this idea? I can manage collecting the bottles over a pretty short period. but it is still a lot of work. A straight path will take more then 400 bottles. So thats 400 that need to be cut and pressed into the ground. I don't mind the work, but wanted to know what others thought before I entered such a large job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008 12:28:39 PM »

WOuld you just press them into the dirt? I would be afraid that they might pop up and you could get gut. How about using them as the edging to the path?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
paramecium
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008 06:47:34 AM »

I think the idea is nice, though I imagined something different reading the topic "beer garden"
I thought you ould plant hops and grain and have something with water, so you had all beer ingredients together.
 Grin

If you want to try, just make the edging as balkandina says or try an make stepstones out of some bottle bottoms grouped together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cleahpatra
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008 11:08:23 AM »

Haha, I thought the same thing paramecium did about the topic "beer garden" - my husband is intent on us home-brewing sometime soon.

Anyway, I've read a lot about the bottle stepping stones, and I thought they would just be too slippery.  I did end up edging one of my gardens with upside down bottles (uncut) and it looks pretty cool.  Once I can post pictures here, I'll post one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art: www.leahstuff.com
Comic: www.willrad.com
------------------------------
Etsy shop: www.futuregirl.etsy.com
papdefer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008 06:47:09 PM »

Sounds like an awesome idea, but I see two problems. Packing them too tight might make the path slippery/hard to walk on so I'd suggest leaving space between them and putting decorative sand, rocks or really short groundcover plants between them.

The other problem concerns winter. Frozen ground and freezing/melting of water and snow will crack the glass Sad

Still I thinks it's really unique if you pull it off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pulling_teeth
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009 01:11:50 AM »

Man I was gone for a long time. A true beer garden is a good idea, but it wont work in that area... however I do have a lot of land to work with. An archway out of hops would be awesome.

I had a lot of things come up this past year with older family members that needed a lot of my time, so I did none of the things I had hoped. I think I will line the garden with bottles. The freezing thing isn't much of a problem. It hardly ever gets low enough, I live in so cal so my biggest problem is too much heat killing my plants in summer. The slipping part does seem like an issue though. Thanks (I'm a little late) for all the insight you guys.

Oh and my brother does home brewing and enjoys it. Kinda expensive to start, but worth it if you love it right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009 02:35:23 AM »

This may be an old thread BUTTTTTTT... apartment therapy just featured something like this recently and I thought it looked awesome!  They use upside down bottles as a garden path border.  In the comments, some people suggest filling them with dirt or rocks so they stay put or don't break as easily.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/look/look-bottles-as-garden-path-border-086359

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Under $30: Our Beauty Editors Share Their Fall Favorites
How to Maintain Tan, Glowing Skin After Summer
Best False Lashes For Different Eye Shapes
Terrence J Gives VIBE Vixen Editor A Makeover
The Best Beauty Boosts For Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...