A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: simple slippers *NOW WITH PATTERN*  (Read 3691 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2008 11:46:55 AM »

so, i have graduated from long rectangles (scarves).

my grandmother used to knit these slippers for everyone - friends, family, etc. i inherited her knitting/crochet notebook with all her notes and patterns and i managed to figure out her pattern (which ended up being really simple) by comparing her notes to an actual pair she had made for me.

you make them on two needles and then sew them closed. they call for red heart yarn, double strand. i like to use the variegated red heart yarns because they knit up so prettily.

i made several pairs as gifts for x-mas:

my aunt's:

my dad's:

yes, even my dad wears them...he loves them, but they have to have "manly" colors. these, for instance, are michigan colors and quite acceptable. Cheesy

i also made a pair for my mom, but i didn't get a picture of her's. they're lovely teals and purples.

-----

so, of course, i'm continuing to make the slippers even in the new year. so far, i've done:

my best friend:

my other grandmother:

and i'm now working on a pair for myself (finally).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PATTERN     PATTERN     PATTERN    PATTERN     PATTERN
here is pattern for the slippers! this is the basic pattern for a ladies slipper, about size 7/7.5. it will seem really small, but these do stretch. i figured out my grandmother's pattern in her notebook, which is far less detailed than this. and i don't have a really extensive knitting vocabulary, so i just did my best to describe everything as detailed as possible.

needles: size 9
yarn: 2 skeins red heart

you will use a double strand, meaning that you will be using both skeins at the same time. (hope that makes sense!)

cast on 41 stitches.

HEEL:
row 1: K15, P1, K9, P1, K15
row 2: K5, P1, knit to last six stitches, P1, K5

*row 1 and row 2 together make 1 "ridge." i don't know if that's a technical knitting term, but that was what my grandma used for her own notes.

you will knit 16 "ridges" for the heel. on row 2 of the 16th ridge, you will cast off the first 6 stitches and the last 6 stitches.  these will be your cuffs.

TOE:
row 1: K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1 (that's 10 stitches total), knit 9, then P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1
row 2: K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1 (that's 8 stitches total), knit 13, then P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1.

*again, row 1 and row 2 together make 1 "ridge." you will knit a total of 12 "ridges" for the toe.

CASTING OFF:
after you have finished all 12 ridges of the toe, you will K2TOG. since there is an odd number of stitches on the needle, you will K3TOG at the end. leave a long tail (maybe 18 inches) and cut the yarn from the skein. thread one of the pieces of yarn on a darning needle and run it through the remaining stitches left on the needle, then pull it all off the needle, tug it together, and tie a knot. you will need to thread both pieces of yarn on a darn needle and sew up the slipper. not hard at all, i usually do it with the slipper inside out. this may sound confusing in words, but one you're to that step, you'll see what i mean and you'll know what to do. you'll also need to sew up the heel with yarn, too. i do use a double strand of yarn for that as well.

-----

now, if you look at the heel section, you will see that there is a middle section of 9 stitches. that is the sole. if you need to make the sole wider or narrower for a person, add to or decrease the number of stitches in this section only. the sections on either side of the sole make the cuff and the sides of the slippers and they are pretty standard on everyone, including men with very large feet, so you shouldn't need to make adjustments unless you are knitting a pair for a baby or young child.

if you need to make the slipper bigger or shorter, add "ridges" to the heel and toe. there should always be 3 to 4 more ridges in the heel than in the toe, and i can say this accurately because my grandma has notes on slippers for kids in our family of various ages and for adults (men and women) of various sizes. in the case of very large feet, maybe 4 or 5 more heel ridges than toe ridges. you want the cuff to come up around the front of the ankle to keep you cozier!

-----

POMPOMS:

i prefer the cardboard method of making pompoms and i'm just going to post a link to a tutorial with pictures from the internet.

link to pompom tutorial: http://www.helloknitty.com/pdfs/pompom.pdf

-----

i hope this is helpful to you and isn't too confusing. once you get going, it really is very easy. i take these things everywhere with me and i usually knit them while watching t.v. because they are so quick and easy.

feel free to ask any questions and i'll try to help you out. i'm sure there are lots of ways to make these. i like this pattern because it was my grandma's and because it uses the two needles rather than dpn's or circular (which i've not worked with yet!).

if you knit any, be sure to post so i can see!! Grin

good luck and happy knitting!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008 11:23:56 AM by miss_k - Reason: correction to toe pattern » THIS ROCKS   Logged
katafi

This monkey's gone to heaven.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008 11:58:17 AM »

These are adorable! The pom pom totally makes them. And they look super comfy too. It's so cold right now where I live that I could seriously use a pair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violet_thistle
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008 12:22:17 PM »

Oh, these look so warm and comfortable! I must wist them.  Cheesy
I love the design where it cuffs over and the little pompom in the center.  And mostly, I think it is so wonderful you were able to use your grandma's notes and patterns.  How very special!! I hope that you are able to add some patterns and notes to her's and then pass them all on to a new generation some day.  Talk about an heirloom! It makes me have funny, happy butterflies *laugh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hugs, Trish

Quilter, beginning crochet,  beginning apparel sewing, learning to knit

My Etsy
My Wists
My Blog
katchoo1
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008 12:58:54 PM »

Those look remarkably similar to ones my Nana made for me (she crochet'd though, not knitted).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy shop:  http://lifeattherancho.etsy.com
I <heart> paper crafts!  PM me about private swaps...
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008 01:47:36 PM »

thanks for all of the compliments!! i'm glad you like the pompoms...they're my favorite part, too! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewcrazy4ever
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008 04:48:18 PM »

They are so cute!  My mom made slippers like those all the time for us as kids.  Are you willing to share the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VaxGirl
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008 06:09:45 PM »

I remember a coworker giving me the pattern for these about 25 years ago!  They were cute then, but yours are even cuter!  I don't even wear slippers and I want to make some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
-Cougar1
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008 06:26:36 PM »

Those are adorable.  I would be interested in the pattern also.  My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and those would be perfect.  ~Tricia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pkc69
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008 05:50:39 AM »

Just love these,  especially like the colors for your dad's and best friends slippers.  I also would love the pattern if your sharing it.  I've seen similar slippers but none with the turn down cuff on them.  You did a great job on making them and I'm sure your family will enjoy wearing them.

Phyllis
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pkc69
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008 11:15:02 AM »

Thanks for posting the pattern,  I want to start these as soon as my grandson goes home.  He's on antibotics and it's making him extremely hyper today.  So, I'll need something to knit to calm me down.   Cheesy
Thanks for sharing!!

Phyllis
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make French Rose-Raspberry Macarons
Easy One-Pot Lemon Curd Recipe
Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Croissant Recipe
Decadent German Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
"Nutella" Ice Cream Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...