A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,955
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Website shipping options  (Read 916 times)
Tags for this thread: oscommerce , shipping  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Halflyng
« on: January 25, 2008 09:02:31 AM »

So.. I've had my site up for a few months, right?  I've had TONS of views, but no one has purchased anything.  So yesterday, while I was horribly bored at work, I decided to see if it was something in the checkout that was causing lack of sales.

I "purchased" a lip balm tub, which literally weighs 1/2 an ounce.  The checkout process was fine up until I got to the shipping section.  Oh wow... My choices were - $4.60, $6.29 and $19.50 for a $3.00 tub of lip balm!?!??!?! 

My question is... If you own your own website (not an ebay store, yahoo store), what do you use for shipping?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008 08:11:52 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008 08:37:56 AM »

I use - and I only have small stuff - USPS Priority Mail. I charge $5 (going up to $6) - this covers the package/box and the postage.

Shipping costs, unless exhorbitant - are not going to stop people from buying stuff online.

In my opinion, your prices are too low anyway. These look like retail prices to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Halflyng
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008 08:41:33 AM »

Those prices come directly from USPS through the OSCommerce site.  Basically, my web designer went to OSCommerce (The makers of the program for my site), took the programming for the post office and slapped it on my site.  When I can send a tub of lip balm through the mail in a first class envelope for $1.45, why should my customer have to pay almost $5 for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008 05:32:41 AM »

Who would buy a single tub of lip balm online? I would think they're also going to buy other things from you at the same time.

Also, your products can be perceived as "cheap". Your packaging doesn't look appealing in the photos - they're all gray and dull and the perception isn't as good as it could be. A light and fresh background, maybe some flowers or fluffed satin or something in there would make it all look more attractive.

A few months open for business doesn't say anything. It can take a couple years of hard marketing to finally bring in a stable trickle of sales. What are you doing to bring in visitors, customers, and sales?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Halflyng
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008 11:34:39 AM »

1st, I've been open for almost 2 years.  My website, however, is new.  I had to save up to purchase the website & the fees my programmer charged me.
2nd, I didn't ask for a critique on my website, I asked for shipping help.
3rd, the current program I have is supposed to gather information from the purchase by weight (all the weights are listed when I add a new product).  So, in essence, if someone were to purchase some of my unappealing lip balm and a couple of soaps, then the shipping program is supposed to charge shipping by weight.  Currently, it's just taking the 3 options and doubling/tripling them.
4th, as far as my pictures, (not that I asked for your opinion on them) they are the old ones.  I recently received a light box from my friends for Christmas, and have retaken all of my pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Halflyng
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008 11:40:55 AM »

If you would like to comment on my website, I have a thread here.

Now, back to the topic at hand.

Does anyone know anything about programming for shipping that coincides with OSCommerce?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
My Little Customs
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008 02:58:55 AM »

hmmm i am no tech expert, however, with my site template, the weight based shipping is based on the weight i tell it, it has no relation to the actual weight ~ am i making any sense?

For example, my shipping prices are set by me, weights go up to 100, 101 - 200, 201-500  etc however, the 100 bit could be anything, 100 bananas, 100 grams etc

so for a hank of nylon hair, i have the weight set to 13, so you can buy 7 hanks before it pushes you into the next price bracket.

needless to say, i have actually based the weight on grams, but it took a lot of fiddling to work it out! For ages i had the weight set as 0.13 and therefore couldnt understand why my shipping costs never rose, you can buy nearly 760 hanks for that!

I hope all my mad ramblings make sense ~ basically i have by passed using UPS (or the UK equivalent) as the automatic programmes were always waaaaaaaay off in my experience and programmed my own prices manually.

Is there any area where you could do the same?

my site is using Ecommerce Plus PHP v5.2.2 from http://www.ecommercetemplates.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Halflyng
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008 05:32:13 AM »

That is exactly what I'm talking about, MLC.  I talked to my website guy last night, and he said that once I do research on how much it costs to ship at each weight (which I've got written down somewhere), he said all he has to do is make a table and somehow enter it into the website.

Thank you so much for being helpful  Smiley  I appreciate it Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Soy Glazed Chicken Recipe
Shrimp Tempura Recipe
How to Make Lamb and Kimchi Lettuce Wraps
Pork and Ginger Soup Recipe
How to Make a Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...