A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,659
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bootleggers & Bathtub Gin  (Read 4681 times)
Tags for this thread: reinacting , historic_clothing , 1920s , no_knit_scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

choleblack
« on: January 24, 2008 10:44:25 PM »

My SO & I went out for "Prohibition Night" yesterday, which in my historically obsessed brain translates to "new clothes!"

My circa 1927 dress, inspired by a sketch in Nora Waugh's Cut of Women's Clothes (p. 290) Potting Soil & Turquoise jersey knit. The belt is lined with heavy duty interfacing to remove the knit stretch. I made the scarf separately & blind stitched it to the already faced neckline. It was the fastest, easiest solution I could come up with. Took about a day to make, machine sewing is such a nice change from the 18th century Cheesy

Underneath I'm wearing a really quick slip made from a few rectangles of silky fabric from stash & some bias tape for the straps. I whipped it up about 30 minutes before getting dressed. It's just enough to keep the knit from getting too clingy. No, I'm not showing it though Kiss I also wore a sports bra & control underwear to slim my shape to the right 20's silhouette.

The hat is from a resized children's pattern. Made from uncut corduroy in potting soil that I just happened to have (I have grand plans to use it to make slipcovers for my living room chairs). It's lined in the turquoise knit, interfaced again to remove stretch & provide a little stiffness. The flower is just some scraps to give the hat a little punch.

Unfortunately Prohibition Night at our local bar was a flop Cry Thankfully there are gatherings at another bar just north of us. The band did play one of their 20's sets for us though. Plus, I won't complain about a night out in period clothes!

Thanks for looking!

Chole
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008 10:52:07 PM by choleblack » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hughsie
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008 12:30:21 AM »

Dressing up to go out is so much fun! Your costume is wonderful, who doesn't love brown and turquoise? And I'm very impressed at how quickly you created such a great outfit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catdaddytn
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008 09:10:42 AM »

cute - you did a great job!   You look so 20's.  I'm totally impressed with such quick talent.  catdaddytn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
starrrdust143

Mmm...caloric intake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008 10:11:32 AM »

With a title like this, i just had to see what it was.  That's a great job.  You look so cute. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashionable frocks and vogue vintage  for the modish misses http://www.AvaAmin.etsy.com

Come be my friend!
http://www.myspace.com/avaamin
spicecarrie
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008 10:34:49 AM »

I love the hat! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Heresy

Dreaming of tools.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008 10:40:12 AM »

That is amazingly cool. I am very impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008 11:13:40 AM »

Oh, Zelda!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
life_of_infamy56
Janet! Dr.Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008 03:23:32 PM »

huzzah for good excuses to be creative! the dress is fabulous, and I loves me a girl who knows how to accesorize.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The sky is blue and righteous in every direction. The sun is total and burning and just there in front. We're on top of the clouds and this is a beautiful day forever. -Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor
Linnybelle
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008 04:59:22 PM »

The dress is fabulous.  A bunch of friends and I once got all dressed up in five different decades, one for each of us, and went out to what was supposed to be a dance and ended up getting strange looks at Walmart and the ice cream place we went to.  The dance had been canceled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008 09:38:06 PM »

Awesome. I so love that you have something besides just Hallowen to dress up for. FUN!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Smooth Cam - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Soften Skin - Color
How to Animate Text on a Path - Motion 3
How to Use QuickTime
How to Video Encode on the Mac
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...