A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Post! - Shrink Plastic Jewelry (Image HEAVY!)  (Read 5710 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darcetta
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008 06:42:52 PM »

Wow! They are all so lovely!
I adore the swirly hearts, they are so delicate. Both sets with the blue tones really stand out as elegant pieces of jewelry. Hard to believe they are shrink plastic!
Great job
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tmbrunschen
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008 11:55:03 PM »

When I cut out a shrinky plastic thing, it warps in the oven.  So the circles I cut become ovals or the rectangles get all warped.  That obviously doesn't happen to you- I think all your pieces are beautiful.  What brand do you use?  Do you have any tips?

When making smaller pieces, I use a heat/embossing gun (on the LOW heat setting) for more control and make sure I heat BOTH sides thoroughly to ensure even shrinking (this is performed on an unused floor tile left over from a home-improvement project). I -then- place it on a non-stick baking tray (of which I have two) and place the second one on top with three heavy, thick books (dictionaries) on top of the second baking tray (because the trays are the same make and size, they 'fit' together making their surfaces reliably flat when together and held in place with the weight of the books. I leave each piece under the books for at least 10 seconds to ensure that the flat shape is held. (I start shrinking my next piece while this happens).

When it comes to larger pieces that I do (pendants and such) I use the oven. I use the same non-stick baking tray as before, but I put it into the oven while it is pre-heating. I place the piece on the tray in the oven and wait for it to 'do it's thing' - I've never really had a problem with them sticking together, perhaps I am just lucky. After the shrinkie is -completely- done moving and is -mostly- flat, I wait a full 10 seconds to ensure that it's 'done' moving/shrinking/changing. Then I take the entire tray out of the oven and set the second baking tray on top, again with the heavy books.

At this stage, I can confess that I don't actually press the pieces between the baking trays much anymore, but that's because through experience, I seem to now be able to "read" the plastic *shrugs*. I do, however, press when I am making a special order, just to ensure a perfect product.

When I encounter little indent, I am able (with the heat/embossing gun) to "superheat" the plastic (superheating involves keeping the gun very close to the piece after it is completely shrunk to heat it to a slightly higher temperature). When the plastic is "superheated" it seems to even out marks, divots and imperfections for me. (with patience and just allowing the plastic to get really hot and sort of - flow into itself. Sorry, I don't have a better way to describe it.)

For the above pieces, I used permanent markers. No sanding needed. (I didn't use the frosted ones. I used smooth ones from here - http://www.bladerubberstamps.co.uk/onlinesales/product.php?product_id=4527&category_id=&gallery_id=30). I did, however, do extensive tests as to which markers would work, stay put, not run, that sort of thing. -Most- Sharpies seem to smear, especially when varnished after shrinking, but my personal favourite Black permanent marker is made by Edding (a German company) and it's their CD writer pen. I use either their 8400 or their 400. The black is so "true" when shrunk and it never smears (through heating and then varnishing). The Edding PDF catalogue - http://www.edding.com/data/Katalog2007GB.pdf

I also now buy direct from a manufacturer of shrink plastic for ink-jet printers and have had some good results thus far (in the "testing" phases) - http://www.grafixplastics.com/shrink.asp .

I hope that helps (and hasn't made the issue any more confusing Smiley

Please do feel free to drop me a line if you have any more questions Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tmbrunschen
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008 11:56:41 PM »

They're beautiful! Do you seal your shrink plastic jewelry with something? I had a pair of shrink earrings once that someone made me and I fell asleep with them on. When I woke up I had a mirror of the image on the earring on my neck!

I seal them all with Krylon - four coats of the crystal clear "normal" stuff or 1 coat of the Triple Thick Krylon Smiley

Is that the aerosol or brush on kind?

No, I find that the brush-on kind can smear the ink that's on the plastic. I use spray, being careful to do a first, light, even coat to "seal" the inks to the plastic and then come back a half-hour to an hour later and really give it a good, thick coat.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just as I am
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008 06:28:11 AM »

These are great! I love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2008 08:02:35 PM »

Wow, those are so pretty! I want them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Funluvnrockrchik

And Life flows on within you and without you...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008 04:00:59 PM »

are shrink plastic and shrinky dinks the same thing?

but uh, either way, these are pretty impressive.

I think my favorites are the  black squares with circles inside, the tree, and the trippy black stripes. but they're all absolutely beautiful. awesome job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Freedom of speech is freedom to yell "Theatre!" in a crowded fire"

"I feel just like sombody else. Man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same"
tmbrunschen
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008 01:48:03 AM »

are shrink plastic and shrinky dinks the same thing?

Thank you! And, yes. They are the same thing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twopennystar
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2008 06:46:16 AM »

They're lovely, I especially like the name ones
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ditsy
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2008 08:53:52 AM »

They are amazing!

What kind of ink did you use? Your lines are so clean and fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tmbrunschen
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2008 09:00:02 AM »

They are amazing!

What kind of ink did you use? Your lines are so clean and fine.

For the above pieces, I used permanent markers. I did extensive tests as to which markers would work, stay put, not run, that sort of thing. -Most- Sharpies seem to smear, especially when varnished after shrinking, but my personal favourite Black permanent marker is made by Edding (a German company) and it's their CD writer pen. I use either their 8400 or their 400. The black is so "true" when shrunk and it never smears (through heating and then varnishing). The Edding PDF catalogue - http://www.edding.com/data/Katalog2007GB.pdf

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Renaming the Slices
Extreme Website Makeover - Adding More Slices to the Web Page
Extreme Website Makeover - Exporting from Fireworks into Dreamweaver®
Extreme Website Makeover - Making Slices with the Selection Tool
Extreme Website Makeover - Using the Slice Tool in Adobe Fireworks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...