A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Not sure if I'm on the right board or not, but here goes  (Read 381 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dinkly
« on: January 24, 2008 05:42:22 PM »

I bought 2 yds of 60" wide wonderful fleece yesterday, in my minds eye I see a wrap'ish thing, without sewn sleeves, split down the middle in the front.  You'd put it on like a shawl sort of.  I've seen them for sale in shops but I'm not sure what they're called and therefore can't really search for them.  I plan on crocheting a border around it just to give it a finished appearance but I'm at a loss as to how to cut the fabric to begin with.  Please, Just let me know if I'm in the wrong board or if you know the name of the article of clothing I'm describing I can search it out and find a pattern. 

Sometimes it'd just be easier if our minds didn't age like they do lol.

Thanks for you help
Dink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008 05:56:23 PM »

Would it be anything like this, if you left off the sleeves: McCall 5241?  It does have shoulder seams, but I could see something similar with just slits for armholes.  Or maybe a cape like this: McCall 8936.  Here's another cape/capelet pattern: Simplicity 3958.   Some more ideas for wraps: Vogue 7161.

Are any of those at all close? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
dinkly
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008 06:06:10 PM »

thanks for the suggestions, I like McCalls 5421 but without the sleeve seams, I've found something called a pareo which is about as close as I can find on my own.  I figure I'll give it a try, at $8 for the fleece, what have I lost if it takes more than one try  Smiley

In my mind I'm seeing something along these lines, http://www.togshop.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2446&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=2446  without the seams, just cut from the fabric then embellished (with/without pockets - we'll see later lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008 06:30:13 PM »

Oh, yeah, you could totally do that without the seams.  You might have figured it out already, but the shape would be something like this:

You could leave the front edges long or angle them like the McCall's pattern I posted so you could wrap it in fun ways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008 08:36:26 AM »

I think you mean a ruana. This page
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php?topic=1165.msg20066
has written instructions. I had no success with their line drawing link but it's so simple i don't think you really need it. Good luck. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Have Better Creative Thinking
How to Play Solitaire
How to Fool About Whilst Being Pursued
How to Choose a TV Fan Site
How to Advertise Your Band on Myspace
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...