A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Slipdresses  (Read 1718 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 24, 2008 12:02:34 PM »

Do you guys ever see girls wearing them as casual summer dresses? Or do you wear them yourselves? I've seen a bunch on Etsy. I bought one a little while ago, which i love. But i've only worn it around the house, because i'm worried it looks like lingerie. (which is stupid for me to care, i know, but whatever)

What do you guys think about wearing them?

Mine looks like this:

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008 12:07:16 PM »

well, it DOES sort of look like a nightie - i'll give you that  Grin

but if i saw you wearing that in public, i wouldn't bat an eye.  guess it depends on your comfort level in it Smiley

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008 12:17:50 PM »

Wear it! It looks lovely on you. If you feel too nakey in it, just pair it with a girlie cardigan, or even a pair of tights or a top underneath. I get tons of wardrobe inspiration from the wardrobe_remix flickr group (check my if you need the link) and they would applaud this for sure!

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008 12:25:32 PM »

I too love the look and it looks great on you.  Smiley

I have been known to wear a vintage slip as a dress usually when I go out to a club. But if you are uncomfortable (which btw you shouldn't be since you do look fabulous) you should not wear it out. It's one of those looks that when you wear it you have to own it. Makes all the difference in the world.
Dawn Octopus
I wish I had 8 tentacles.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008 12:44:06 PM »

I love the teeth!!! And I have one, I don't wear it alone out of the house, but I will wear it out over a pair of jeans.

Proud pre-adoptive Mother Smiley
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008 01:08:22 PM »

Love it!! It looks amazing on you and I for sure think you should wear it out. It would look great with a cardigan too. And awesome high heels and maybe a long string of pearls.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008 02:45:01 PM »

I've worn mine as a shirt It's cream colored so I have to wear stuff under it, or a cardigan over it... but I think yours looks great without anything... I've even worn shorter nighties alone... in my punk rock days...

Life's too short to not eat cake.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008 03:06:59 PM »

gardenpicnic - if I looked that good in a slip that I'd never take it off! I think you should definitely wear it as a dress Smiley Sometimes you can tell that they're lingerie but I don't think it really matters if you look good and can pull it off.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008 03:20:53 PM »

Thanks so much for the comments, guys!

That's not me though, that's the girl i bought it from on etsy (miscusi.etsy.com), but yeah, she does look lovely in it. Smiley

I really liked the idea of  wearing it with a girly cardigan, very smart Smiley
And now i can't wait till it's warmer so i can wear it out!

And superbelles- that nightie looks gorgeous on you with those combat boots!

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008 03:32:01 PM »

i can't bring myself to wear them out of the house either. they're great layered though, over a tank or tee, over jeans or another skirt, etc. pretty.

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008 05:12:53 PM »

i think it being that dark blue, makes it look more like a dress, like if were pastle or like red w/ black lace then iy might seem weird out and about it.

but frankly it looks hot ! and not at all slutty or any thing, i think you should go for it, rock on lady!

Wow, how'd you do that??

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008 05:44:50 PM »

I have one that has a cute tiny floral print on it and I do wear it in the summer.  I also have a short cardigan with 3/4 sleeves I put on with it.  Go for it!

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
hello color!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008 09:37:15 PM »

Lookin' good! I want those teeth!

I don't have a slipdress, but I have a vintage slip (in hot pink with white lace!) that I wear out with a pj-dress. The slip is a little see-through, and the pj dress is not but it's wayy too short, so they are perfect together! One time, I was in a touristy area, and some people stopped me and asked to take a picture. It's that good! So I think you know what my advice is Wink
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008 10:11:06 PM »

Slips are too pretty to only wear around the house or hidden underneath dresses! I wear them out all the time in summer, usually 2 layered so it isn't sheer. With a little cardigan too. People would sometimes make dumb comments like, "aren't you forgetting your dress?" Haha. I think it's still a really cute look though.

Orange you glad I didn't say bananas?!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008 12:00:29 AM »

I wore mine on halloween (freudian slip) and no my age (high school) knew what it was.  So there was no problem there.
It was when i went to work at the coffee shop and was serving older folks and they knew exactly what it was.  If i hadnt been ready with an explaination of my halloween costume, i dont think it would have gone over very well.
Although, I did make more tips than i ever have that day.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008 12:27:48 AM »

Looks great, love the lil teeth on it,
That is one nifty bike!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008 11:14:50 AM »

If you don't feel comfy about wearing it as is, you could always layer!
If it were me I would wear some capri-length leggings and a little cardigan or something over it.  That way, if you feel comfortable in it, you can de-layer, or if you don't feel comfortable in it, you can just keep your layers on! Smiley
It looks really cute btw!
I have two that I've been mulling over wearing as well, but after seeing yours, I think I'll dye mine a darker color to make it look a little less lingerie-ish.  Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Beach or Snow Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Backlight Scenes
How to Take a Basic Picture Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set Up the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Basic Pictures
How to Light with a Super Wide Angle Lens
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...