A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 315,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why your website should have content  (Read 8011 times)
Tags for this thread: search_engine_optimization  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bobbie2oo4

Show me your website and I will come! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006 06:59:25 PM »

Content is EXTREMELY important for your website as has already been said.

Pictures are great but search engines don't care about pictures - only text. So, the wordier you are the better.

If you're building a new website - your home page is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY important. Why? Because this what search engines (all of them) list first. So, you should be sure to have a lot of words on you home page. Be sure to use words that relate to the types of words people would use to search for your product(s). List other words that are related to your products - such, You can also find artiles about dog medicine and how to determine which medicine is right for your pet.

Once your home page is listed, the search engines come back to see if you've made updates. If the search engine robots see you're making updates regularly, they will come back regularly - if you're making updates every day, they will come back every day. What does this mean for you? You should be working on your website on a regular basis. You don't need to change everything - but change a few things just so that there is something *new* for search engines to find  Wink

Also, in your home page, you should put links to your other pages - such you can find an article about blah blah blah here  and you search through my dog collars here. By putting links in, your pages get crawled (read by search engines) sooner  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need a business website? See pageBuzz.com - ultimate do it yourself solution for $9.99/mo- includes everything, even a shopping cart!

Advertise your crafts for FREE? Check out http://craftersbuzz.com
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006 07:44:50 PM »

This is so interesting and educational! I'm working on a website to sell my handpainted yarn, and a friend suggested I have articles about describing the difference between handpainted/handdyed or the benefits of different fibers. Is this the kind of 'content' we're talking about here? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JewelryArtist
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006 09:32:45 PM »

I personally use google adwords. It has greatly brought in the "targeted market". It is worth it. I pull from $150-$300 a day. I haven't tried yahoo overture yet. Hopefully people are using meta tags on their pages also. I sell more self created tutorials than anything. My jewelry is the slowest movers on the retail side. Wholesale isn't too bad though.

Matthew
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seeingstars
Star-crossed lovers!

~*~*seeingstars*~*~

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006 05:27:51 AM »

What's Goggle Adwords?? is it the same as what lindsayanne is using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://world3.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=38041565
pls press this people, it won't do you any harm but helps me! jus go back once you have, thanks!! xxxx
stitchnwitch
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006 08:43:54 PM »

Google ads are great for content pages...depending on traffic and actual clicks you can make good money and certain topics get higher bids so higher income for you.
My site took a full year to get the $100 payout, but it was a nice payday for basically little to no work, just build and let it sit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006 02:01:53 PM »

I'm going to dispute one thing that was said earlier - I heard that if your images have useful titles it can be helpful for ye olde SEO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

123shopaholic
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006 09:00:00 PM »

i bookmarked this hehe
im definately planning on doing that when my website gets up and running, is it the same kind of thing as the affliate program on bravenet.com?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscribe
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006 08:31:14 AM »

I'm going to dispute one thing that was said earlier - I heard that if your images have useful titles it can be helpful for ye olde SEO.

That is true. But, should not be relied on to drive search engine traffic to a site when it is the only text used on the page.

Many of the crafters and artisans use special fonts to maintain a certain look and feel for their sites. I just looked at one a little while ago that did not have a single word of text.

While this does make it easier to control where the text appears and what it looks like - it will make it virtually impossible to make the site competitive for keywords on the search engines.

So, yes using descriptive image titles can help with search engine optimization; but, it won't be very effective if there is no on-page text.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coexist_love
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006 08:00:39 PM »

Thanks so much for all of this helpful information! I have been crafting for a while but I never considered putting  myself out there and selling stuff until now I am trying to feel my way around and figure out how to advertise and how to run my buisness.

Thanks again. This sounds great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllStix
Get Your KNIT ON!

Handmade Knitting Needles -As Unique as you are!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006 06:09:53 PM »

It seems like I should be learning a TON from this thread. But instead I feel like: "Where do I start?" I feel I've got all this info, but I can't really figure out how to use it to benefit me. I have a website (it's a good start!) And I have a couple of Google Ad Sense ads on a couple of pages. I have no idea if people click on them or what.

Should we write articles on our pages that relate to what's already on our page? Will that help?

I FULLY bookmarked this page. (I'm hoping the lightbulb "illuminates" soon.....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade Knitting Needles- as Unique as You Are!
www.allstix.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Red Carpet Ready: Pretty Felicity Jones Makeup
How to Create an Elongated Cat Eye
Easy Conceal and Contour Makeup Tutorial
7 Ways to Apply Highlighter For a Luminous Face
5 Ways You Never Thought to Use Deodorant
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...